Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300532 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2019, 04:48:25 pm »

Honestly its kind of amazing the IP did well enough to get a Witcher 2.  (which I still need to force myself to play so I can get to the apparently good one)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2019, 05:29:51 pm »

The third one is really, really excellent. If you've already bought it, but are putting it off because of Witcher 1 or 2, I'd recommend just skipping them and going straight to 3.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2019, 06:21:20 pm »

Its tempting, but I already managed to finish the first one last year so I kind of figure I have to do the second one this year.

I'll get to the third one in 2020 maybe.   :P 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2019, 07:45:32 pm »

But there's a whole fully-voiced character in 3 that doesn't show up unless you carry over a savegame from 2 after having done it a particular way.

You can't just do that and expect me to be fine with leaving well enough alone!

Anyways, I played a bit of Witcher 3, thought "...man, I should accept the consequences of my actions and just suck it up", and then I did some shit with some pretty serious consequences and just went "...okay, fuck it, this is the 'bad' playthrough", and got a fucking horrible ending with a horrible Geralt because of course I was gonna play it a second time.

And then I thought "there's a lot I didn't quite pick up on, I should play the rest of the series to get a better understanding of Geralt and the other characters", and then I tried to play Witcher 1 because I was gonna do things in order.

Haha no.

But, CDPR is good people... I mean, sure, one of the lead writers just jumped ship for fucking Actiblizz, but they're generally good people. I'm pretty sure.

...Witcher 3 is great though. Beware the balcony.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2019, 08:36:19 pm »

The framework of goodness was in Witcher 1 which is why 2 was anticipated. (I also don't doubt that, being a big eastern European flagship title, its fan base is in some ways guaranteed if it meets a certain quality level.)

For me Witcher 1 still does something better than all the other witcher's: the alchemy and preparation phase. Even if potions are unbalanced, it felt worthwhile to do. It gave a ton of context to how you spent your time. In W2 and 3 they kept dialing it back, simplifying it. And it seemed less and less useful with every game (except the times it was damn near mandatory.) I remember in W1 using Blizzard potions and boss fights that were legitimately almost too hard suddenly becoming a blur of "whack whack whack ye dead." But that actually made me sit up and take notice of alchemy, and I spent a lot of time collecting and brewing and what not because it felt fun and right for the game.

In W2 and 3 it becomes almost an optional thing that you don't have to pay attention to unless you really want to maximize/optimize.

Also I kinda miss W1's whackadoo character progression. Each new Witcher game has tried to capture that 'it's not just another skill tree' feeling, but nothing comes close to just how bizarre W1's skill tress were.

So yeah. I think W1 was good enough that it warranted a sequel, because you just kinda knew they were going to make it better, make it feel more cohesive. Even if I feel like each new installment, while being shinier and more fluid, got more pedestrian, it's still a net gain to me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2019, 10:15:41 pm »

I've never played a CDPR game that I've actually enjoyed.
(Which is to say I played Witcher 2 and gave up on the first combat because it didn't feel "right" to me.)
(But I'm still looking forwards to Cyberpunk 2077.)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2019, 11:00:25 pm »

It took them three games to get it to the point where it more or less played like you expected it to play. W1 was a mess, W2 they didn't have it dialed all the way in, and W3 is enjoyable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2019, 11:22:33 pm »

But, CDPR is good people... I mean, sure, one of the lead writers just jumped ship for fucking Actiblizz, but they're generally good people. I'm pretty sure.

Their response to being called out on sexism, homophobia, and transphobia was that they won't be shy about their politics, so...

edit: worse, that means there still isn't much for usable alternatives to Steam.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2019, 10:51:39 pm »

Has anybody used the Deadly Reflex mod for Oblivion? It looks like fun once I've beaten the main quests and have nothing left but to mess around, but it also looks like a gigantic pain in the rear both to get working and to remove if I decide I don't like it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2019, 12:42:02 am »

Iirc the removing part is easy if you have sufficient spare hard drive space. Just make a copy of your pre-mod oblivion install as a backup, delete/uninstall the main stuff if things go wrong and stick the copy in its place. One mod is usually pretty painless, really. The real fustercluck is when you're trying to get a few dozen to work together without everything imploding.

... that said, if you're looking for an extra romp in oblivion you might consider checking out nehrim. It's a total conversion, and though it's been a good few years since I messed with it, I remember it being pretty great. Also recall the installation (and removal) being fairly painless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2019, 01:14:21 am »

I didn't see Stormworks mentioned yet https://store.steampowered.com/app/573090/Stormworks_Build_and_Rescue/

it's a mix of vehicle building with randomly generated rescue missions. mission go from somewhat stale (there's a lot of carry people around) to watering fires to whatever the workshop can throw at you, changing weather keeps them somewhat fresh but there's not really enough variation. it can be nice and it has some interesting visuals.

the building system varies from pretty simple to quite convoluted, controlled by an in-game option, which I like: allows everyone to get the difficulty they want out of it. the physics of water and such are quite good, the damage model is ok for what it needs (just don't bump into things and you'll keep afloat) but the need for engines to breathe air in the advanced building mode does complicate things a little and makes handling rough weather properly challenging, so I'd suggest that.

overall it's not for everyone but if you liked from the depths for building ship this is more of the same minus the combat.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2019, 02:28:47 pm »

I've been getting some entertainment out of Hitman 2 lately.

You walk around, exploring an area, picking up weapons when nobody is looking (or just using the silenced pistol you started with), find ways to separate people, steal their clothes, and then kill off some target in the weirdest way you can manage while disguised. The targets are jerks (bombing civilians, killing slightly more people than you, or being a druglord), or high-ranking employees of jerks, so it's okay.

The complicated deaths are mostly scripted (you need to call a particular character in to the office for a medical treatment that you poison, and say pretty funny scripted things while doing so), but you can manage quite a bit with environmental hazards and your trusty silenced pistol.

The main issue I've had is the game not warning you fast enough if you're doing something wrong. Walk into a hallway, suddenly get shot to death by guards for trespassing. Try again, stop a few feet away, and get a warning that you're not allowed in. In a game where timing is important, having to guess when you need to stop walking to find out if it's okay to go a particular way or not isn't great. At least most of the levels are replayable. They have been introducing one-time missions, which means more frustration from bug-related deaths.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2019, 11:32:54 am »

Be a space colony man. Ferry people and things around on your space colony vtol thingy.

There's a really neat picture on this oddly-titled Medium article. You'll know it when you see it. Lots of blues and greens.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:44:41 am by Mephisto »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2019, 11:45:57 am »

Be a space colony man. Ferry people and things around on your space colony vtol thingy.

There's a really neat picture on this oddly-titled Medium article. You'll know it when you see it. Lots of blues and greens.
Oooh that looks unique, thanks for the recommendation.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 168