Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 88784 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: Metaphorically jizzing all over the multiverse
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2015, 12:09:40 am »

((I wonder which universe has Timmy in it?))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2015, 04:30:45 am »

If time permits after other teammates send phase one probes, Send Phase One probes to 1,-1,0;          0,1,+/-1;          0,-1, +/-1. Otherwise, wait.     

Send volunteer test subjects to The Caverns (0,9,0). Have them talk about the experience as it is happening, including how the transition between universes feels. Return them after ten minutes and have them report. if all seems well, order our staff to design outpost buildings and the like that can be secured on the surface without digging deep. Test out the validity of gravity anchors by setting up a drone which will sink weighted anchors into the surface until gravity is strong enough to keep them secure. See if they remain stable thus, or if the gravity eventually overwhelms them.

I'm skeptical of this Caverns Universe. the gravity fields seem like they will ultimately be destructive, and there is nothing here we can use to buld a civilization. we'd have to import everything.. On the other hand, It looks like this universe will serve, at least as an emergency escape hole.

((This one. or do you mean the original character? he's in a void, not really in a universe at all. if I remember correctly.))
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:03:43 pm by Ozarck »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2015, 01:23:50 pm »

Phase one probes to  6,6,36    1,2,3     6,6,6

Edit: Screw it, let's throw 3,3,3 in as well
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:41:33 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2015, 11:49:27 am »

Make sure that if any of the BLOPS members are given a mysterious box, they each get a pair of Heavy Robsod "assistants".  These assistants will each be equipped with a PSL, a Raduga, and a chem thrower with multiple canisters of ClF3, sticky goop, and acid.  The Heavy Robosods will remain adjacent to their assigned blops member, and watch them very closely.

Also double check that I'm still on a spaceship some distance away from the lab.  And that this ship has nuclear cannons.

The Fun never ends with this one. Yeah, you're safe from harm, for the moment.

Let's send... two rabbits. One inside a drone, one outside - yet somehow still returnable. That iron leash thing I mentioned might work. Monitor stress and vital sign readings starting five minutes before, during, and five minutes after, if only to see how the teleportation affects living creatures.

Then we dissect both to see if the pink goo gets inside the rabbits' cavities.

So! Phase two and three go! At the... Same time! Let's just see what happens. In a seperate testing facility than two. Let's use three for goo-verse.

Is... The goo edible? Let's also feed a rabbit the goo while we do this. Nothing says woohoo like a universe of carbohydrates.

Alternatively, does it burn well? Nothing says woohoo also like a universe of hydrocarbons.

The probe returns and despite the outer rabbit being dead from drowning in goo, there are no other problems. The ones inside the drone are fine and the one outside shows no changes that aren't attributable to drowning. Goo got in its lungs but thats about it.

Edible? Well they can eat it without any obvious  downsides, though they don't seem to be able to digest it very well.

Remember, it's not a universe of hydrocarbons, it's a universe of soft-crystal water and long, pure carbon chains.

Phase one probes to  6,6,36    1,2,3     6,6,6

Edit: Screw it, let's throw 3,3,3 in as well

6,6,36 :The universe is oddly warm, about 100 degrees F. There are massive scattered objects in the video feed. They are white and oddly textured, like fingerprints or yarn balls.
1,2,3 Null
6,6,6 The probe doesn't return.
3,3,3 The probe returns, but it has changed. It appears as though all color has been sucked from the thing, rendering it a monochrome gray. There are small, curved rods stuck to the thing as though magnetically attracted.

If time permits after other teammates send phase one probes, Send Phase One probes to 1,-1,0;          0,1,+/-1;          0,-1, +/-1. Otherwise, wait.     

Send volunteer test subjects to The Caverns (0,9,0). Have them talk about the experience as it is happening, including how the transition between universes feels. Return them after ten minutes and have them report. if all seems well, order our staff to design outpost buildings and the like that can be secured on the surface without digging deep. Test out the validity of gravity anchors by setting up a drone which will sink weighted anchors into the surface until gravity is strong enough to keep them secure. See if they remain stable thus, or if the gravity eventually overwhelms them.

I'm skeptical of this Caverns Universe. the gravity fields seem like they will ultimately be destructive, and there is nothing here we can use to buld a civilization. we'd have to import everything.. On the other hand, It looks like this universe will serve, at least as an emergency escape hole.

((This one. or do you mean the original character? he's in a void, not really in a universe at all. if I remember correctly.))
1,-1,0: The universe here appears to be made of a thick, syrupy liquid with large disk like objects the size of small continents drifting through it. The syrup is carbon based, but extensively bound to silicon;it breaks down rapidly in this universe.

Null, Null
0,-1,1: The probe returns, apparently unchanged in physical configuration, but not responding. It appears to be glowing slightly
0,-1,-1: The probe returns, barely. It has been frozen solid and is both crushed and shredded.

Ok, should we select them via any criteria? Give them any mission besides look around? Any supplies? Will we let them choose when to come back or set it on a timer? That sort of thing.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2015, 02:03:47 pm »

Phase 2    6,6,36
Phase 1   -6,-6,-6;       6,6,23 (pay attention to the temperature in this universe);        12,34,56
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:12:22 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »

The initial volunteers should be selected to represent as wide a range of people as possible, using, oh, say ten people. Include two children. They are to perform various activities in the probe room, like minor manual labor (picking up heavy objects and putting them down, screwing in a screw and unscrewing it), interacting with a program that requires them to follow instructions, and communicating with each other.

How would they be able to communicate their desire to return? Does our machine allow that? If it does, give them a panic button, one per volunteer. If three of them go off, return the probe a that point. Otherwise, set a timer.

As for the next phase - testing gravity anchors - just send automated probes.

If both of the above actions work out well, send an exploration team. any of the BLOPS team members are approved to go lead the exploration team. They will take a squadron of soldiers, a squadron of sods, a ship, as large as possible but still able to fit through the holes between caverns comfortably (insert innuendo here), and armed. Also land rovers / jeeps. Scout eyes and other exploration equipment, and any battle gear they think helpful. If the tubes which connect the caverns are only large enough for land rovers, then don't waste a functional ship - just send something capable of landing and unloading the equipment. It should contain a command center for coordination. I'd like to test out communications between caverns when we get someone to the other one.

Time permitting, Send Phase One probes to -1, 0, +/-1, -1, +/-1, 0

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2015, 06:12:21 pm »

Can I get a probe to 123,456,789?

And the rabbits inside survived? What were their vitals and stress responses this entire time? So the goo isn't breathable. Also good to know. But a little obvious.

Let's see if a volunteer is willing to suit up and sit in goo-verse for a minute. Let them know it's safe if you're sealed up.  I want to know what they see. One minute in, lights, camera, action. Then back out.

"Note to self... Must determine if the carbon-chains can be reformed into useful materials."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:26:54 pm by Gentlefish »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2015, 11:15:20 pm »

((Beat you to 12,34,56 =P))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2015, 11:54:30 pm »

(assuming I can do this without being on-planet) Send probes to:
2.-7,-7,-7

Personal 'experiments':

4.A long time ago, back during the boarding mission, I wrote a program.  To sum it up, it was supposed to take a library of different movements, mostly combat-oriented, and allow the user to make their robobody/exoskeleton enact those movements (possibly with minor on-the-fly adjustments).  The in-game effect would be to replace strength and dexterity rolls with AUX rolls, as long as the user's body was undamaged and the desired movements were in the library.  IIRC, you said it was fine and I successfully completed the program, but I never tested it.  I'd like to do so now, but using a robosod's body.  Is the program effective?

5.Two years ago, I got an... odd Christmas gift.  To quote:
Quote from: 2013 Christmas Gift
A strange machine; It's quite large, maybe three feet wide and 2 tall with a square central section and two circular lobes coming out of either side. The only controls are a button and a knob with numbers 1 to 10.
I have never tested this thing.  So, let's put it on one of our otherwise useless warships, and put ten humans, five sods, and five robosods on the ship with it.  Humans secured, sods not.  Then, have one of the sods set the dial to 2, and press the button.  Anything happen?  Or did you forget what the machine was even supposed to do? ((Who else thinks that this is a bomb?))

EDIT: Sod Selling (Ignore these if you're too busy)

6.We've discussed selling sods before, multiple times.  You vary in your answers; You've said yes, you've said no, and you've said "Yes, but only as mission equipment".  Can people buy sods for themselves?

7.If so, can I profit from it?  Presumably we'd use the same 25% profit margin, like with tinkered equipment, yes?

8.Finally, can sods be specially customized?  Comrade_P wants to buy (presumably attractive) female sods.  Can we do that?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2015, 12:57:57 am »

((I just realized. "Misson".))
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »

Could someone stick what each phase entails on the wiki page for me to have easy access to.

Phase 2    6,6,36

Phase 1   -6,-6,-6;       6,6,23 (pay attention to the temperature in this universe);        12,34,56

A quick look with a phase 2 probe shows that living things can keep living there. Even exposure to the seeming void seems not to be fatal, though it's not great for them. Several of the test animals seem ill.

the others are nulls

The initial volunteers should be selected to represent as wide a range of people as possible, using, oh, say ten people. Include two children. They are to perform various activities in the probe room, like minor manual labor (picking up heavy objects and putting them down, screwing in a screw and unscrewing it), interacting with a program that requires them to follow instructions, and communicating with each other.

How would they be able to communicate their desire to return? Does our machine allow that? If it does, give them a panic button, one per volunteer. If three of them go off, return the probe a that point. Otherwise, set a timer.

As for the next phase - testing gravity anchors - just send automated probes.

If both of the above actions work out well, send an exploration team. any of the BLOPS team members are approved to go lead the exploration team. They will take a squadron of soldiers, a squadron of sods, a ship, as large as possible but still able to fit through the holes between caverns comfortably (insert innuendo here), and armed. Also land rovers / jeeps. Scout eyes and other exploration equipment, and any battle gear they think helpful. If the tubes which connect the caverns are only large enough for land rovers, then don't waste a functional ship - just send something capable of landing and unloading the equipment. It should contain a command center for coordination. I'd like to test out communications between caverns when we get someone to the other one.

Time permitting, Send Phase One probes to -1, 0, +/-1, -1, +/-1, 0

Gravity anchors are viable.

The test with people seems to work well. They report some odd feelings due to the fact that their arms feel light and their legs feel heavy, some vertigo, some loss of coordination, some other symptoms like that. The sort of thing you'd honestly expect from this sort of gravity distortion; need to expose them to it longer to see if they get their "sea legs" or if it's a permanent effect. Other than that, they seem unaffected by their stay. Full physicals find no abnormalities. They report the sensation of jump to be unpleasant. They say that it isn't as instantaneous as we think it is, and that they have only dream like recollections of the jumps, which they say seem to last for an unknown time.

Alright, anyone want to go spelunking or are we leaving this to the NPCS?

Can I get a probe to 123,456,789?

And the rabbits inside survived? What were their vitals and stress responses this entire time? So the goo isn't breathable. Also good to know. But a little obvious.

Let's see if a volunteer is willing to suit up and sit in goo-verse for a minute. Let them know it's safe if you're sealed up.  I want to know what they see. One minute in, lights, camera, action. Then back out.

"Note to self... Must determine if the carbon-chains can be reformed into useful materials."
The probe returns, but it appears to be completely wrapped in a thin metallic foil. As soon as we touch it, the stuff unfolds and sprays off in all directions, cleaving straight through the walls and causing stone and metal to darken and collapse into an ashy substance. We lost testing room 2 due to this, but the foil seems to have consumed itself in the process, so it was contained at least.

The rabbits inside survived.  They seemed a bit stressed, but overall pretty normal.

You mean an NPC volunteer or a player?

(assuming I can do this without being on-planet) Send probes to:
2.-7,-7,-7

Personal 'experiments':

4.A long time ago, back during the boarding mission, I wrote a program.  To sum it up, it was supposed to take a library of different movements, mostly combat-oriented, and allow the user to make their robobody/exoskeleton enact those movements (possibly with minor on-the-fly adjustments).  The in-game effect would be to replace strength and dexterity rolls with AUX rolls, as long as the user's body was undamaged and the desired movements were in the library.  IIRC, you said it was fine and I successfully completed the program, but I never tested it.  I'd like to do so now, but using a robosod's body.  Is the program effective?

5.Two years ago, I got an... odd Christmas gift.  To quote:
Quote from: 2013 Christmas Gift
A strange machine; It's quite large, maybe three feet wide and 2 tall with a square central section and two circular lobes coming out of either side. The only controls are a button and a knob with numbers 1 to 10.
I have never tested this thing.  So, let's put it on one of our otherwise useless warships, and put ten humans, five sods, and five robosods on the ship with it.  Humans secured, sods not.  Then, have one of the sods set the dial to 2, and press the button.  Anything happen?  Or did you forget what the machine was even supposed to do? ((Who else thinks that this is a bomb?))

EDIT: Sod Selling (Ignore these if you're too busy)

6.We've discussed selling sods before, multiple times.  You vary in your answers; You've said yes, you've said no, and you've said "Yes, but only as mission equipment".  Can people buy sods for themselves?

7.If so, can I profit from it?  Presumably we'd use the same 25% profit margin, like with tinkered equipment, yes?

8.Finally, can sods be specially customized?  Comrade_P wants to buy (presumably attractive) female sods.  Can we do that?

1. Universe has no measurable temperature, but the visuals show something that looks a lot like this. It's definitely a fractal latice but it's also extremely regular and it appears to be expanding out in all directions. You can see bright lights a within some of the deeper sections nearby. The atmosphere seems to be an extremely thin but ubiquitous nitrogen-argon mix.

2-3 are null

It should be. Maybe. Unless the council screams at me in a few minutes.

No idea what the hell that does anymore. You have any more info?

Hmm. I have problems with it in theory, I just don't want it to further unbalance shit, you know? Do me a favor, send RC a PM about it and we'll talk. I don't mind it in theory, I just wonder how to do it effectively.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2015, 03:59:18 pm »

((I hereby dub universe 7,7,7 "Sharkmist space"))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2015, 04:12:13 pm »

((You guys need to add chronometers into your testing kit. Spring powered mechanical contraptions, battery powered mechanical things, electronic things...))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2015, 05:20:21 pm »

I take it you ran phase 3 on 6,6,36? If so now run phase 4 on it
Quote from:  Phase 4
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Phase 1 on:
Quote from: phase 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2015, 05:34:43 pm »

Yeah. Phase 4 into Goo-verse. Some NPC's. Suited up and safe, of course.

Let's do phase 3 on 7,7,7? Nitrogen/Argon sounds... At least livable. Let's send some small animals to find out. One in a contained living bubble, the other outside. Let's see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54