Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002182 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4695 on: January 20, 2017, 08:11:33 pm »

No, it isn't. The police need a reason to arrest someone. A cynic might say they manufactured one, because they certainly didn't have one when he refused to answer their questions.
The two police officers saw a man on the streets who matched the description of someone who was wanted; they would've known there was no case on him if they knew his identity

The guy dealt with the situation poorly. The police dealt with the situation even worse. There were two of them, and he's 70, there was no need to taze him.
63, not 70, just being factually correct - moreover there were 2 of them, 1 of him and his dog, and 2 onlookers, but I think this is most relevant to their actions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I fully understand why he was so anxious but it's ridiculous to try and spin this as the police going out to tazer old people. It would be outrageous for example if the police were just going about asking people for their names and tazing when they don't comply but they informed him he matched the description of a suspect and he in turn grew aggravated, kept advancing on the policewoman even after she drew her tazer and warned him to calm down, and made multiple attempts to escape them even if walking through them.

Relevant:
Taser provides an additional option to resolve situations, including the threat of violence, which can come from any section of the public. In certain circumstances, the use of Taser is more appropriate than other use of force options in resolving dangerous situations safely and with less risk of serious injury. In addition, officers who are trained and equipped with Taser must decide on the most reasonable and necessary use of force in the circumstances. The level of force used must be proportionate to achieve the objective and officers are individually accountable in law for the amount of force they use on a person.

The alternatives to Taser include a range of other measures such as physical restraint, batons and police dogs. Much will depend upon the circumstances, but Taser will often be less injurious than resorting to baton strikes or deployment of a police dog. In the majority of cases involving Taser, the mere threat of its use has been enough to defuse a situation and ensure a peaceful resolution of the incident.
They failed to physically restrain him, he was only growing more agitated, he was adamant in refusing to tell them who he was even though he had his ID on him and batons would've done worse. What could have they have done better? Assaulting him would probably not have been an improvement, especially if it got the onlookers involved. Their only other option would have been to just let their suspect go, here's useful advise from the Guardian:

There is no requirement to give your name and address to a police officer or CSO who searches you. However, if they know these details they are required to include them in the search form that they have to complete and give to you once the search is completed. Police officers and CSOs may ask for these details just for the purposes of completing the form.

There are, however, circumstances where it might be a good idea to give your name and address to a police officer or CSO. If there is a suggestion that you have committed an offence it would be wise to give your details. A failure to identify yourself might lead to you being arrested for the offence where the police might otherwise have been happy to summons you (ie send you a date to attend court to answer the charge through the post). There are also circumstances where a failure to give these details could itself be an offence. The most notable example is where a police officer in uniform or a CSO considers that you have been acting in an antisocial manner. A refusal to give your name and address (or giving false details) if asked to do so in these circumstances is an offence for which you can be fined up to £1,000.
It's just common sense, the most basic of details alone, simply telling them his name, would have meant none of this happened. I also don't know what crime the guy they're looking for committed, and whether they believed there was a risk of evidence being destroyed, someone getting harmed or their suspect escaping, it's safe to say though at the end of the day, even if you don't want to help police do the barest minimum to establish their elimination criteria and remove you from the suspect list, you can still politely deal with them - walking on them, holding anything metal behind your back and throwing them off when they're trying to cuff you is a bad idea and likely to result in tazing

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4696 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27:49 am »

Expert opinions are as of this year, confused

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4697 on: January 21, 2017, 04:35:26 pm »

It sounded cooler when it was "Sun never sets on The British Empire!", not "Sunset for the Angloshpere?".
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4698 on: January 21, 2017, 04:56:01 pm »

It sounded cooler when it was "Sun never sets on The British Empire!", not "Sunset for the Angloshpere?".
I agree, but look at the middle picture to find an answer why they're not the same

Anglosphere is held and maintained largely by and in accordance with the direction of US leadership. Effectively it is the world order of western English-speaking liberal democracies with extensive intelligence cooperation and held together by all of the nations involved having bilateral military cooperation with the USA. USA and Canada in the arctic. USA and UK in the Atlantic oceans, Mediterranean ocean, Red Sea and the Gulf of Persia. USA, Australia and New Zealand in the Pacific, Indian Ocean and South China Sea. In this manner the USA maintains its logistical reach and naval dominance everywhere, in return the other nations drastically increase their power with access to US tech and power, in addition to experience from joint military exercises and operations. Thus the Anglosphere is not led by England, and is not even formally a thing - instead being a representation of how nations of shared stock, culture and history have managed to end up in a network strategically joined by bilateral cooperation with the USA. The nature of this network means that if the USA were to wholly turn isolationist or Yellowstone Volcanoe explode, there would be very little capacity for the remaining nations to maintain the military cooperation at sea to much effective degree. Singapore, India and Malaysia also fit into all of this but the name doesn't seem fitting when it's just referring to some perfidious eternal Anglo spirit
It could also refer to Anglosaxon nations or English speaking nations across the world if it isn't confusing enough already
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:57:33 pm by Loud Whispers »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: January 22, 2017, 06:17:32 pm »

I'm gonna ship some nuclear English-speaking families to the Middle East in order to form Anglo-Bubbles which, with time, will form Anglospheres.

That is how this works, right?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: January 22, 2017, 07:46:11 pm »

I thought it was a round contraption used by fishermen
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: January 23, 2017, 01:06:51 pm »

Sadly that Monty Python joke doesn't work in English, I think.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:20 pm »

Sadly that Monty Python joke doesn't work in English, I think.
it's a pun on angeln or an equivalent in Dutch isn't it?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: January 23, 2017, 04:27:02 pm »

Angling / angler is english as well. But yeah, angeln in German, and hengelen in Dutch. Fishing is a general term, angling is fishing with a line and fish hook (angle).
It's an old germanic word. Basically angel = pointy (curved) pin. We call an insect stinger an 'angel' as well for example.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:28:58 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:43 pm »

'I taught the Saxons to fish - now they're called Fishin'-Saxons!'

The Dutch usage is strange to me. Here 'Angel' refers to the fishing rod, while the hook itself is just called, well, a hook.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »

'I taught the Saxons to fish - now they're called Fishin'-Saxons!'

The Dutch usage is strange to me. Here 'Angel' refers to the fishing rod, while the hook itself is just called, well, a hook.
Same here, the rod is called a hengel, the hook just a hook (haak). The verb is 'hengelen'. But the rod got it's name from the older word for curved hook / sharp pin.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:07 am »

The Lügenpresse must be silenced!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:46 am »

So, what power would that Abwehrzentrum gegen Desinformation gets? It's not clear and I can't access the paywall behind. Would they really get the power to censor news source as TempAcc implies?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: January 24, 2017, 08:33:01 am »

Wait, how are you getting trapped behind a paywall and I'm not?

I'll post the original german text here just in case, including links:

The article doesn't go into great detail on the powers said ministry would have, all we can infer is that it'd have the power to label anything as misinformation and cut access to it, and apparently stuff that criticized the government is included in that definition of misinformation.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:37:26 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 793