Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007967 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9870 on: April 01, 2019, 08:34:28 pm »

It's likely because Spain grows around 5-6 million tons of citrus fruit a year, a bit under half of which are oranges.  They're one of the largest global producers of oranges, and I'd imagine they feed a good chunk of Europe with whatever isn't coming from the US or Brazil.

Fun fact I found while looking this up: Valencia oranges don't come from Valencia.  They were first hybridized by an American-turned-Mexican-turned-American who had moved to California. 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: April 01, 2019, 08:39:44 pm »

I'm curious to see the ripple effects on British imports from outside Europe that transit Europe (such as, I'm assuming, goods from Turkey and the Levant).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: April 02, 2019, 02:10:53 am »

Maybe he's in NI and not ROI?

Also, while it won't affect Ireland directly, the ripple effects will, which could be what he's worried about. Not sure how the Bay of Biscay fits into his worries about his favorite oranges though, other than maybe the Basque region? *shrug*
ROI. If I was in NI... I'd probably have packed up to go home a while ago, as my adventures abroad are driven in no small measure by the relative simplicity and lack of prpblems FoM provides in this regard, both in regards to burocracy abroad and back home.

I'm concerned about fresh groceries as some newspaper articles said that if shipping was done through French ports rather than the UK  things would spoil. And my thinking was "hey, most of the fruit and vegetables are likely coming from Spain anyway. Why dont they ship directly?". It's not related to any personal concerns. Also orange trees dont really grow in the Basque country, which is for the most part as dark and wet as anywhere else in the Atlantic coast 🤣🤣🤣
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: April 02, 2019, 05:43:29 am »

I don't understand. Just come to NI, Chairman. We have plenty of Oranges right here.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: April 02, 2019, 06:46:38 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:46:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: April 02, 2019, 11:53:37 am »

@LW: I don't get it, then again it's probably something that would be lost on most Americans.

Anyways, looking at The Guardian liveblog, Theresa May is supposed to make some sort of statement soon. My guess is that she'll announce she is going to resign (my idea for a little bit of a late April Fools troll on you guys).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: April 02, 2019, 12:02:31 pm »

@LW: I don't get it, then again it's probably something that would be lost on most Americans.

Even Americans know about James Bond :3

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: April 02, 2019, 12:19:18 pm »

I meant the video itself....

Theresa May is asking for a short extension, but Macron and others are saying that an extension needs to have some sort of purpose behind it. In other words, they don't want to add more time just for the sake of adding more time, which is kind of what it sounds like.

editwhiletyping: It also sounds like she's closing the door to participating in the EU elections, meaning that May 22th is the absolute last date that they can extend it to.

IMO they should stay in Brexit negotiating sessions and in Parliament every day until they can figure something out, bet that things will get resolved in short order just so that they can go home.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: April 02, 2019, 06:15:00 pm »

I've recommend something like that before, amusingly enough, though I forget if it were here or elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure it was in relation to US Congress, but still. A straightforward solution to all this bullshit. They put parliament into session, and then no one gets to leave, or sleep, until an accord is reached and actionable agreement met.

Within a week or two you'd either have a path forward or a real good excuse to hold an election or somethin' to fill recently vacated seats, preferably with people more intent on getting something done before they get done in.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: April 02, 2019, 06:40:54 pm »

Just have them all do a free for all battle royale. Last MP standing chooses that happens with Brexit
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: April 03, 2019, 07:06:24 am »

Wouldn't that be a resignation royale? Last one standing gets all the blame?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: April 03, 2019, 09:14:11 am »

I've recommend something like that before, amusingly enough, though I forget if it were here or elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure it was in relation to US Congress, but still. A straightforward solution to all this bullshit. They put parliament into session, and then no one gets to leave, or sleep, until an accord is reached and actionable agreement met.

Within a week or two you'd either have a path forward or a real good excuse to hold an election or somethin' to fill recently vacated seats, preferably with people more intent on getting something done before they get done in.
Corollary suggestion: no tea or bathroom breaks until there's a solution.

"I object to the right honorable member for Upper Tweedwick-on-Merrybrooke's objection, on the grounds that he appears to have shat himself."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9883 on: April 03, 2019, 11:36:32 am »

I meant the video itself....
The people there are all key players in the post-Cameron Brexit negotiations, all put together into a surreal and loving satire of James Bond: you only li(ea)ve twice

Theresa May is asking for a short extension, but Macron and others are saying that an extension needs to have some sort of purpose behind it. In other words, they don't want to add more time just for the sake of adding more time, which is kind of what it sounds like.
Of course there's a purpose, every day Theresa May gets to extend her workdays with a PM's salary

Corollary suggestion: no tea or bathroom breaks until there's a solution.

"I object to the right honorable member for Upper Tweedwick-on-Merrybrooke's objection, on the grounds that he appears to have shat himself."
This sort of thing has unironically occurred in British politics before. After RBS fucked up and was on the brink of insolvency, Britgov sent a finance minister to go offer RBS a deal - Britgov purchases shares in RBS to give RBS the required capital to avoid insolvency, while Britgov gains enough ownership of RBS to fire/cut the pay packages of whoever they want. RBS prepared to negotiate the fuck out of the minister until they secured necessary concessions (or even a whole bailout free of a share purchasing deal) when the finance minister gave them the Britgov's deal and announced they were leaving the meeting to go get a curry, giving the RBS officers a few hours to decide or go home to a national crisis. They took the absolute madlad's deal without a single one of their concessions

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: April 03, 2019, 03:35:40 pm »

Mostly I'm concerned about my orange supplies, and to a lesser extent my salad supplies

I've heard limes work just as well.

This sort of thing has unironically occurred in British politics before. After RBS fucked up and was on the brink of insolvency, Britgov sent a finance minister to go offer RBS a deal - Britgov purchases shares in RBS to give RBS the required capital to avoid insolvency, while Britgov gains enough ownership of RBS to fire/cut the pay packages of whoever they want. RBS prepared to negotiate the fuck out of the minister until they secured necessary concessions (or even a whole bailout free of a share purchasing deal) when the finance minister gave them the Britgov's deal and announced they were leaving the meeting to go get a curry, giving the RBS officers a few hours to decide or go home to a national crisis. They took the absolute madlad's deal without a single one of their concessions

Huh, I think I like a government person.
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 793