Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859789 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2580 on: February 17, 2017, 12:16:33 am »

That's why all those people should quote Alexander Suvorov, instead. Won over 60 battles, lost zero, defeated armies outnumbering his own many times with low casualties on his side, including one case where the other army was defending in a fortress, and died in bed from illness. Probably the best general Russia has ever had. And his advice is pretty seriously different from what Sun Tzu offers - his method is not of deception and mind games, but of careful, thorough preparation and intense drills, and then a very fast attack, crushing the enemy along with their "tricky" plans. Very cool.
Ahh but where people go wrong is in thinking that the specific tactics of war carry over. They don't. Wikipedia says Suvorov died in 1800. Can you remember any of the details of warfare in 1800? That's before trenches, machineguns, air power, radio, combined arms, and so many other innovations without which a war today cannot be fought.

The advice of a general is the most short-lived advice of them all; how soon they become outdated! It is said that generals always prepare for the last war, and that is a rule you can rely on. Even a general from the Cold War would struggle today, let alone a man who fought before Napoleon! When you look for advice, you look for the advice that lasts. And specific victories do not last.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2581 on: February 17, 2017, 12:35:12 am »

Hell, it's high school knowledge that World War 1 was one of the bloodiest, most brutal wars in history because the outdated "line up and shoot eachother" trench warfare utilized by all sides was worthless against machine guns, flamethrowers and tanks, some of the prominent inventions of the war. You'd think more people would extrapolate that to treatises on warfare that predate guns regardless of whether the author was actually a successful leader.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: February 17, 2017, 01:39:11 am »

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.

A quote that was wrong before it was even said.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: February 17, 2017, 01:49:27 am »

WWI was the most brutal because it involved modern artillery before modern armor and happened to coincide with a mass disease outbreak before antibiotics. If you subtract those deaths it turns into quite the forgettable little scruff, eh champ*?

*if over the age of 40 and/or rich
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: February 17, 2017, 05:49:56 am »

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.

A quote that was wrong before it was even said.
"You win war by winning."
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 20, 2017, 01:42:15 am »

I'm morally compelled to watch Iron-Blooded Orphans legally, since it's freakin' amazing and currently ongoing. So like a good boy I'm showing my support by watching on Crunchyroll with my adblocker off.

At the same time however, their shitty flashplayer is godawful. The video stutters every time a subtitle goes away, and there's an interactive H&R Block ad that's highly likely to crash the whole thing and make you sit through another round of ads, any of which could be the H&R Block one again.

Crunchyroll support is godawful, I tried to tell them that School Days has some encoding errors (with screenshots from multiple devices) and got the standard "We don't want to fix the problem, restart your computer or something" message. There used to be a feature that would make subtitles not lag the video, but apparently that's gone.

I'll just buy the blurays/DVDs when they come out, but I want to watch the show noooow. :(
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: February 20, 2017, 10:28:19 am »

Just... watch the video by other means now, but physical copies once they're available to show your support?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: February 20, 2017, 05:54:55 pm »

Got a screen replacement. I'm happy I could replace it quickly, but it cost a load and it's strictly inferior to my old screen. My old resolution was 1920x1080, this is merely 1366x768. Hell of a drop, and I don't like it at all. Alas, I have to live with it for now, but damn...

The text is so big! Blegh.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:21 pm »

1366x768

*hugs misko*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: February 21, 2017, 02:34:35 am »

Hey, that's the resolution on my laptop too! :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: February 21, 2017, 09:50:23 am »

Oh dear.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: February 23, 2017, 07:03:48 pm »

Time for the local seafood and wine festival. Everything's packed and a bunch of tourists are gonna get smashed and cause at least a couple fatal car crashes.

Also it's sunny today, and I want it to be nothing but windy and overcast 24/7 because I can't stand "good" weather.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: February 27, 2017, 11:33:29 am »

a week and a half long depressive episode and one dropped class later, I think I'm gonna be ok. On my grind right now to finish my midterms, but after that i'm home free. Going to go to Dehlonega to meet with a friend and hopefully get laid, then off to the beach for a week of nothing but drinking

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:45 am »

I sense your life may differ from mine.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: February 27, 2017, 12:01:26 pm »

I sense your life may differ from mine.

Oh?
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 779