Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859868 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10440 on: October 14, 2022, 10:24:18 am »

Of the last 300 threads in GD, some 2/3rds+ are novel scoops' pseudo-human effluents. It won't ever stop, will it?
Novel will keep spamming threads hoping to learn vague things until learns enough to go from an AI chatbot to a real boy.

mildly uncharitable statement

novel scoop-ing up bits of knowledge

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: October 14, 2022, 12:18:37 pm »

Adventures in metal recycling~
This place pays for metal, and even takes computer electronics.  I've been taking my aluminum cans there for a couple years now... Barely get $5 for two heaping crushed bags, but at least I know it's getting reclaimed.

on that note, today I noticed they take off 1/2 pound for each bag.  wat.  I could just dump the bags out on their scale, if they prefer??

But this is about a special delivery from cleaning a property:  2 CRT monitors, 2 printers, a 3-4ft CO2 tank, some steel exercise equipment

First guy:  Can't take any of these electronics, sorry.  We can take the tank but you'll have to take the valve off first.  (This guy was nice, even apologetic)
Cool...  I stop by my place, make sure the canister's empty, and take a vice grip to the valve.  I have to sit on it, but it comes off!  Woot!
Return to the place

Second guy: Can't take that tank.
Me: What?  Why not?
Second guy: Can't take it.
Me:  Ah... alright.  Here's some exercise equipment
Second guy: That works *we load it up*

Third guy takes over
Me: Any idea where I *could* take this tank?
Third guy: You'll have to cut it in half
Me: What??  ...Is it too long, or-
Third guy:  Gotta cut it in half
Me: I have no idea how or where to do that
Third guy: Gotta cut it in half (seriously)
Me: Got it, alright.  You don't take printers, right?
Third guy: Sure, I'll take those.  And that valve from the tank
Me: ...Sweet!

So I'm still stuck with these CRTs (not surprising, they're less than worthless) and a bigass empty aluminum cylinder that uh... they might take if I go back at the right time?  this place takes entire trailer beds full of scrap metal, why the hell can't they process this

There's also a phone number on the canister, one of those "This is rented from a company, if found please return".  I called first thing this morning - the company no longer handles CO2 canisters and wanted nothing to do with it.  They seemed a little defensive, even, but I assured them that I was okay with taking it off their hands.  They're an hour out of town, and it's a fairly valuable chunk of aluminum... IF I CAN SAW IT IN HALF APPARENTLY??

(I can't wait to tell my metal-machinist theyfriend about all this <3  But what if I didn't happen to know people like them??)
Adventures in not just dumping this shit in the woods like some people~

Also on the note of illegal dumping, I left my lidless recycling bin out a couple weeks ago for the city to collect.  It was still out there the next morning, stuffed with the mangled wooden remains of a *loom*.  (I later checked with the city and they had closed the ticket with no notes or communication with me, as if they had replaced my bin.  "Oh there was stuff in it?  That's probably why" great thanks)

So I loaded my car with this wood trash.  The local convenience site has nowhere for it.  I was having dinner with my dad Wednesday and moaning about it, and he convinced me to just stick it in his garbage bin, over my concerns.  It didn't even close
That worked.

Real life is so ARBITRARY!  Waaaaaah!  bah.
Or put another way:  "If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result, what does it mean about the world when that's the optimal solution?"

Edit:  My dad thought it belonged in the "household trash" compactor at the convenience site.  I explained that the sign said no lumber, and I couldn't ask for clarification because there was no one on duty.  Just me, the trash, and the open compactor.
He gave me this funny look and then we both laughed, I think he's proud of me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:25:43 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: October 14, 2022, 12:46:13 pm »

You can probably sell a high-pressure gas cylinder, that's pretty valuable. Same with the CRTs.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: October 14, 2022, 01:25:35 pm »

kinda kicking myself for selling the valve off it, though I'm sure that's not too hard to replace.

The CRTs, bluh.  Yeah I get some people want them for retro reasons... guess I'll install NextDoor or Craigslist or whatever.

Alls I know is that I'm not gonna saw this thing in half.  If I hadn't looked the guy in the eyes I'd think he was playing a joke on me, but he took the printers...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: October 14, 2022, 08:20:00 pm »

There was a sequential numbered order I got at work. The customer accidentally sent us a file with the numbers in the wrong order. Twice. Meaning I ended up printing about 5,000 feet of paper three times.

Now that they've got the order, we found out that they also requested the wrong type of paper stock. Not only does this mean I'll have to print it a fourth time, but the new type of stock won't work with the die we have, so we'll also need to order a new multi-level die. I'm not even sure if my machine will be able to handle it, since the stock has double-sided glue, and I can't even run thin splices through my cylinder.

On top of that, my manager moved a massive job off of another press and onto mine, even though my press isn't designed for that type of long-haul job. At least I'm still on-schedule right now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 08:21:35 pm by BlackFlyme »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: October 15, 2022, 09:49:15 pm »

Holy shit parenting is hard but evidently I think I’m doing so well that now I’m parenting while being infected with Covid.

I hope I get a nice achievement for this.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: October 16, 2022, 06:34:39 am »

Achievement unlocked: CORONURTURER
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: October 16, 2022, 08:17:43 am »

Yes please.

Had a bizarre night with it. I normally sleep in just boxer shorts regardless if the temperature, but last night I had to go to bed wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and socks also, and I could feel super hot but Iw as apparently cool with it.

At least until 2am when my body was like dude why are you wearing so much I’m dying here.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: October 17, 2022, 02:39:25 am »

A new censorship law just passed in Turkey today.

It, and I loosely quote "is about protecting the populace from disinformation and prevent fear and anxiety spreading through the internet." Jail times range from 1 to 3 years, and even having shared the message lands you in trouble.

Of course, the exact nature and defining criteria of this "disinformation" is conveniently right up their asses up in the air. Or, as you can tell, it is "Things we don't like". It all essentially translates to, "Be quiet about our malevolent incompetence or suffer the consequences."

Well, no big loss. I already evade Turkish spaces. Worst case scenario, I will just stay behind the gates of the last few forums, where they shall never find me.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: October 17, 2022, 07:32:47 am »

Spread anti-Turkey propaganda through Minecraft books
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: October 17, 2022, 11:26:09 am »

Spread anti-Turkey propaganda through Minecraft books

That already exists. Kinda. Look up "banned Minecraft library". It is a library that present information about the dirty doings of many countries.

Yes, it is IP blocked on Turkey.

Cowards...

Even a bunch of pixels in a block game makes you shit your pants.

Pathetic cuckservatives.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: October 17, 2022, 04:33:09 pm »

I've just received a debt collection notice, with demand to pay full amount +collection fees within two weeks.

The notice is for an apparently unpaid bill that I... Never received, nor was in any way made aware of. Before now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10452 on: October 17, 2022, 04:46:43 pm »

I've just received a debt collection notice, with demand to pay full amount +collection fees within two weeks.

The notice is for an apparently unpaid bill that I... Never received, nor was in any way made aware of. Before now.
Sounds scammy? I'd investigate further, contact your local bank and so on. Even if it's not just a phishing scam there have been "legal" scams where 3rd parties purchase debts from debtors and then try collect them from the owners of debts. Only sometimes they purchase debts that have already been repaid or debts that don't exist and don't really care if they're scaring people into paying debts they don't have. Or it could just be low-effort scamming

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: October 17, 2022, 04:58:50 pm »

There's a non-zero chance this is actually legit, but it's just legit in an incredibly stupid way. In the sense that the original payees just absolutely, completely, utterly dropped the ball in contacting me to get their due.

But yeah, I'm asking the collection agency to freeze the demand for a few days while I try and poke the original holder to find out what the &¤!"# this is even supposed to be. Still not the greatest way to round out my evening, I must say.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: October 17, 2022, 05:00:51 pm »

Usually the collector has to do due diligence and make sure you actually owe the debt they’re trying to collect, but ymmv.

Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 779