Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855412 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10530 on: November 09, 2022, 04:37:57 pm »

You're doing a good job Roboto.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: November 09, 2022, 05:50:21 pm »

The people on the r/Fuckcars subreddit call this mental condition "Carbrain", a special kind of entitlement centered around the irrational love of cars and the belief that one should never be impeded while driving, and anyone who does impede them simply deserves whatever happens to them.
It's also the reason why there's a rich vocabulary for all kinds of vehicle traffic and vehicle traffic law, but then the vocabulary shrinks for users of public transit, pedestrians and cyclists. E.g. you have pedestrian roads and cycling roads, but you don't ever call them car roads because the assumption is all roads belong to cars and you're just living in a car world

They were called roads before there were cars, LW :P

They're called "x roads" to specify they're specifically intended for one mode of transit, unlike just roads, which you can both drive, cycle, or pedestrate along
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: November 09, 2022, 09:31:03 pm »

I'd LOVE it if there were reliable and pleasant public transit wherever you needed it. America is so fuckhuge, and has so many people spread out over so large an area, that having efficient means of moving those people around obvious... but the country just decided one day to take a huge dump on all forms of transit except for cars. "Just decided one day" meaning that politicians at all levels being bribed by car manufacturers. Now the induced demand of cars means that more roads have to be built, and more roads and highways induce more demand for cars, ad infinitum.

In other news, the light bulb in my bathroom went out. This isn't a problem because I have backup lightbulbs I've purchased eons ago. Apparently Past-Me was incredibly stupid however, because these light bulbs emit the palest, most sickly shade of white light I've ever seen. Everything is illuminated in the most unflattering way possible. it really feels like this light is exposing all my sins to the world just by being in it. I flick on the light switch and my bathroom is now the set of a horror-themed medical drama, and I'm seconds away from getting trounced by an evil surgeon that's going to perform a surprise appendectomy on me before charging me $150,000 dollars for the privilege. This is truly the worst light I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 09:41:13 pm by JoshuaFH »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: November 09, 2022, 10:14:53 pm »

Sounds like you bought Daylight bulbs. You want Warm, presumably. Cheap as chips but you might not live near a hardware store.

I personally prefer daylight bulbs because the slightly yellow/orange glow is horrid anywhere that isn’t a living room or bedroom.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10534 on: November 14, 2022, 11:06:34 am »

They were called roads before there were cars, LW :P

They're called "x roads" to specify they're specifically intended for one mode of transit, unlike just roads, which you can both drive, cycle, or pedestrate along
Car roads replaced just "roads" though. When you say roads in discussing city planning, you don't mean roads where you can drive, cycle or walk along - you mean "car roads" where you can drive your car

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: November 14, 2022, 11:28:16 am »

The only roads where you can't cycle or walk aren't even called roads at all they're called highways specifically to differentiate them from roads where you can both drive, cycle, and walk. I've walked and cycled and ran along roads my entire life!

Like do "city planning" even talk about roads aren't city ways called "streets"
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10536 on: November 14, 2022, 11:29:57 am »

imagine not calling them tumbly-wumbly crossing down lanes

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: November 14, 2022, 11:54:50 am »

Your local thrift store probably also has new-in-box LED bulbs for super cheap. I dunno why they all have them, they just do.

Which reminds me, I still need to go buy some more so I can swap out the fluorescents around my apartment.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: November 14, 2022, 01:06:43 pm »

imagine not calling them tumbly-wumbly crossing down lanes

Like I'm all for the reinvention of our cities -- even the Europ ones -- to be more bike and pedestration friendly but I just cannot agree to linguismals like that
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: November 15, 2022, 03:20:10 am »

Your local thrift store probably also has new-in-box LED bulbs for super cheap. I dunno why they all have them, they just do.

Which reminds me, I still need to go buy some more so I can swap out the fluorescents around my apartment.
Why not just let the fluorescent bulbs burn out then replace them?

Also I've never seen LED bulbs at thrift stores, might be because all the thrift stores around me suck and the good ones are dead now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: November 15, 2022, 10:09:07 am »

In the small liberties of petty consumerism I allow myself, my ceiling fixture has three bulbs and one is LED and this will simply not do.

Also, they're likely to outlast my stay at this apartment and I don't like 'em.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: November 15, 2022, 10:15:53 am »

Oops wrong thread, moved
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:23:50 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: November 15, 2022, 02:11:53 pm »

Same as above
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:24:00 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: November 15, 2022, 03:24:56 pm »

Two people were killed in Poland, when a Russian missile struck the village of Przewodów, 70km north of Lviv.
The Polish prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki has called a meeting with the government's defense council.

Our Dutch minister has left the bomb shelter in Kyiv, after being stuck there for 3 hours

I feel this is less 'mildly upset' and more 'absolutely terrified'
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: November 16, 2022, 11:44:52 am »

Dog destroyed another £35 miniature.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block