Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: vampires, necromancers, necromancing blood suckers.  (Read 3227 times)

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
vampires, necromancers, necromancing blood suckers.
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:37:44 pm »

well, I've been playing adventurer mode, and its a lot of fun. I became a vampire half a day in by toppling a statue on a temple, because it was made of gold and I wanted to see how much I could sell it for. then I realized I didnt know how to ask for currency, and ended up trading it for a silver flail, with lots of spikes.

also, I have found a bunch of necromancer towers, and then I looked up info about them, and turns out you can become a necromancer too! which leads me to ask the following questions:

a necromancer doesnt need to drink nor eat, if a vampire becomes a necro, does he have to keep drinking blood? I could try and find the answer for this myself, but I'm dont even have legendary levels yet, and apparently once you go necro you cant get more levels. so I would end up as an underdeveloped leech.

question 2: apparently, necromancers dont have to worry about their levels "rusting"... do vampires have to worry about that?

thanks in advance.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: vampires, necromancers, necromancing blood suckers.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:57:42 pm »

well, I've been playing adventurer mode, and its a lot of fun. I became a vampire half a day in by toppling a statue on a temple, because it was made of gold and I wanted to see how much I could sell it for. then I realized I didnt know how to ask for currency, and ended up trading it for a silver flail, with lots of spikes.

also, I have found a bunch of necromancer towers, and then I looked up info about them, and turns out you can become a necromancer too! which leads me to ask the following questions:

a necromancer doesnt need to drink nor eat, if a vampire becomes a necro, does he have to keep drinking blood? I could try and find the answer for this myself, but I'm dont even have legendary levels yet, and apparently once you go necro you cant get more levels. so I would end up as an underdeveloped leech.

question 2: apparently, necromancers dont have to worry about their levels "rusting"... do vampires have to worry about that?

thanks in advance.
funny thing about vampires, they don't need to drink blood either they just feel the need to drink it but their body are practically zombies.
question 2: vampires have the whole skills lock down so becoming one means you're stuck at that skill level for the rest of your unlife.
also vampires can walk into a necro tower with no zombie attacking them but due to the zombie nerf people don't really need to do that to get a book out of their towers now so vampirism doesn't have that as an excuse.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 08:46:19 pm »

vampires have the whole skills lock down so becoming one means you're stuck at that skill level for the rest of your unlife.

No way! I started with proficient maceman (the words were blue) and last time I saw it it was great maceman, and the words were light green. so vampires can gain levels... maybe at a slower pace?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »

If it were true that skills locked, that would be a dead giveaway in fortress mode.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:46:35 pm »

vampires have the whole skills lock down so becoming one means you're stuck at that skill level for the rest of your unlife.

No way! I started with proficient maceman (the words were blue) and last time I saw it it was great maceman, and the words were light green. so vampires can gain levels... maybe at a slower pace?

What he means is, your skills can increase, but your attributes such as strength and agility are fixed.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:19:53 am by quekwoambojish »

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:38:14 pm »

I thought it was physical attributes, not skills that got locked.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:20:44 am »

I thought it was physical attributes, not skills that got locked.

you're right, i dont know how a not snuck into my reply, thank you

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 12:54:14 am »

Are you sure? I swear I've had disease resistance go to high from average a while after becoming a vampire.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:24:57 pm »

What he means is, your skills can increase, but your attributes such as strength and agility are fixed.

Your attributes are doubled, then fixed. But you can still gain skill levels, (which is why vampires can become really shrewd politicians, because they can level up all their social skills to legendary)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:28:24 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 02:47:31 pm »

Vampires attributes are not fixed. Upon becoming a vampire strength agility and toughness are doubled but will not read as doubled however, an adventurer with say average strength will be described as muscular. Necromancer attributes are fixed however.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 05:18:18 pm »

When I was testing vampires in v0.40.23, even their Strength was not fixed, not to mention mental attributes and skills. But just to be sure, I would max out Strength, Agility and Toughness before becoming a vampire. The rest should be trainable even if this apparent bug (?) with three physical attributes was fixed in the meantime.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 08:26:54 pm »

I did not start with high strength/agility as a vampire peregrine falcon woman necromancer.  I was vamped right away upon making the character with a temple topple, then I trained my wrestling and throwing and marksman skills up to legendary by spamming them due to infinite endurance. By the time I retired I had been getting faster and faster the whole time as my armor user and whatnot increased and general fighting/etc improved my strength/agility to high/high. This was in 42.06, definitely not fixed attributes after being vamped.

Yeah, just checked, there's no way to start with these stats as a hero:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:31:32 pm by Max™ »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:50 pm »

when you are vamped those stats which you mentioned get doubled. Attributes and stats are different things entirely aswell.
And looking at the example raws:

[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
   [IE_TARGET:A]
   [IE_IMMEDIATE]
   [IE_ARENA_NAME:Vampire]
   [SYNDROME]
      [SYN_CLASS:VAMPCURSE]
[CE_ADD_TAG:BLOODSUCKER:NO_AGING:STERILE:NOT_LIVING:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:START:0]
      [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:200:0:AGILITY:200:0:TOUGHNESS:200:0:START:0]
      [CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:1:2]
      [CE_BODY_MAT_INTERACTION:MAT_TOKEN:RESERVED_BLOOD:START:0]
         [CE:INTERACTION:VAMPIRE_CURSE]
         [CE:SYNDROME_TAG:SYN_INGESTED]
         [CE:SYNDROME_TAG:SYN_INJECTED]
      [CE_DISPLAY_TILE:TILE:165:4:0:0:START:0:CAN_BE_HIDDEN]
      [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:vampire:vampires:vampiric:START:0:CAN_BE_HIDDEN]
      [CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
         [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:DRINKING_BLOOD:1:NONE:REQUIRED]
      [CE_SENSE_CREATURE_CLASS:START:0:CLASS:GENERAL_POISON:15:4:0:1]

You see that the strength agility and toughness are doubled (which would likely make them high, which looks exactly what happened to you) and then fixed via the nophysattgain token. However, their Skills can still get leveled up , but no physical attributes can change after the initial doubling. (strength agility toughness) etc

SO until someone takes a screenshot of their adventurer after being vamped physical attributes, then takes a new screenshot after one of them increases  i will believe what the raws say.

also:
attribute info
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Attribute

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:00:54 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 12:04:54 am »

I checked but didn't screenshot but they were not all high right after I was vamped. My speed continually increased the whole playthrough, and those types of changes don't generally change the displayed stats.

I will do something and check it though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 12:33:50 am »

Initial stats:

Post vamping via statue topple, done nothing else but say hi to someone:

After wrestling a hippo for a while:

So, there it is, your stats most definitely increase after becoming vamped, even physical ones.
Pages: [1] 2