Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 106291 times)

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2016, 06:05:06 pm »

Man, I feel like they could've done a whole lot more with the game then just this. I mean, it'll prob have expansions and mods will prob add all the stuff we can possibly want anyway, but just like someone else in the thread already said, they could've at least taken inspiration from m&b mods and added features like freelancer (the mercenary mod in which YOU are a sole mercenary soldier and can join armies), a crusader kings-ish grand strategy layer of interaction once you hold some land, proper army management, etc.

Not that they won't add (or haven't already added) this, but so far I got no info that indicates that M&B 2 won't just be m&b 1 with fancier graphics and better sieges :v
Which is ok, but it could be more.
Have a look at The Elder Scrolls series. They didn't add much new stuff in Skyrim, besides maybe shouting. They added in diplomacy and other mods to M&B2 though, and there's an influence mechanic. Probably more stuff, even events while going in a town or finding a crime ring.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2016, 07:23:02 pm »

Man, I feel like they could've done a whole lot more with the game then just this. I mean, it'll prob have expansions and mods will prob add all the stuff we can possibly want anyway, but just like someone else in the thread already said, they could've at least taken inspiration from m&b mods and added features like freelancer (the mercenary mod in which YOU are a sole mercenary soldier and can join armies), a crusader kings-ish grand strategy layer of interaction once you hold some land, proper army management, etc.

Not that they won't add (or haven't already added) this, but so far I got no info that indicates that M&B 2 won't just be m&b 1 with fancier graphics and better sieges :v
Have a look at The Elder Scrolls series. They didn't add much new stuff in Skyrim, besides maybe shouting. They added in diplomacy and other mods to M&B2 though, and there's an influence mechanic. Probably more stuff, even events while going in a town or finding a crime ring.

One could argue that they removed stuff from the ES series with each iteration, but that's another argument for another time. I think a big part of M&B II is the new engine, which allows them to do a lot more. And anyways, it's too early to judge what has been added and what hasn't, because we haven't seen all that much.

In other news, apparently they're going to be releasing the gameplay code to modders along with a full suite of modding tools. "We are releasing our own tools, that we use internally for development but not the engine source. We are releasing a lot of scripting code that modders can get their hands on and change, in addition to providing a load of parameters which means they can tweak core parts of the game but not access the engine code directly."

"This means that, for instance, mounts can be changed, modders can add different skeletons for things like camels and elephants if they like. There is a whole load of extra modding capability of this sort which is expanded from the previous engine we used in Warband as well.We will then make our gameplay code accessible to modders, so they can extend or rewrite to suit their purpose."

So looks like the M&B II modding scene is going to be even more bumpin' than the Warband modding scene.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2016, 07:38:16 pm »

Woop woop, we all know M&B survived entirely by mods.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »

I'm fully expecting a mod with fully functional armed vehicles or even tanks within a year of release. A WW1 or WW2 setting, perhaps.

I wonder if we'll see Napoleonic Wars 2... or should I say, how long is it going to take before we do?
Nothing important here, move along.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2016, 08:37:39 pm »

Have they said whether they are releasing the modding tools early? Or just at release? (Hopefully not after release...)
Does anyone remember the map editor tool? That thing looked preeettty good.
I'm fully expecting a mod with fully functional armed vehicles or even tanks within a year of release. A WW1 or WW2 setting, perhaps.
There's already a mod that's basically a football riot (I think?) and they changed the horses to police cars. It looks about as ridiculous as you'd imagine.
I wonder if we'll see Napoleonic Wars 2... or should I say, how long is it going to take before we do?
Too long.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2016, 11:58:57 pm »

PTW... this has been my most anticipated game for a couple years already... will buy immediately on release if I have to sell my children for it, and my life will be pretty much over.

M&B 1 with a more polished engine, bit more depth in places where it was lacking, and expanded modding capabilities is exactly what I wanted and nothing more.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2016, 05:57:09 am »

There's already a mod that's basically a football riot (I think?) and they changed the horses to police cars. It looks about as ridiculous as you'd imagine.\
Ah, Gangs of Glasgow.

It looks ridiculous, but it's hardly indicative of how it'd work for M&B as a whole. That mod was extremely low-effort technically.

Personally, I think that considering how dependent on the mods M&B is, Taleworlds should add native support for proper firearms handling for anything more than muskets, just disabled for main game. At least 50% of the mods are post-medieval or anachronistic, and let's be honest, guns in M&B kinda suck mechanically.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2016, 06:17:50 am »

The Last Days had pretty big things done even in the original M&B, such as large monsters and dynamic warfare & faction system. The amazing mods were much of the reason M&B became a classic.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2016, 06:23:07 am »

C-RPG was pretty big for the old one...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2016, 12:14:15 pm »

The bigger question is how can you evolve M&B further mechanically? Because the underlying system is pretty well developed. You can expand it with stuff like more different weapons and nations and the like, or add novel combat areas like ship battles, or maybe evolve sieges further a bit, such as adding multiple paths of storming the castle, but that all's not so much evolution as much as it is additional content.

What M&B needed more than anything else was more polish and better presentation.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2016, 12:27:55 pm »

Well, they added chamber blocking in Warband, so who knows what other stuff they could do with combat. How can you fight a guy who has a shield, for example? He basically has an omni-directional block that requires almost no skill, and mitigates many ranged weapons too. Many times fighting a guy with a shield is a back-and-forth hoping that his shield breaks or you manage to feint him just right, which is difficult because one handed weapons swing faster than other weapon types.

Also what about sprinting? It's annoying fighting archers by veerry slowly waddling towards them while they pepper you with projectiles. Hope you brought a shield, and even if you do holding the shield up slows you way down anyways so you'll never catch them.

And what about armor? Honestly the way damage works in M&B is pretty silly. At least there's three types of damage, but most of it just deals with making armor less effective against attacks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2016, 05:59:36 pm »

How can you fight a guy who has a shield, for example? He basically has an omni-directional block that requires almost no skill, and mitigates many ranged weapons too. Many times fighting a guy with a shield is a back-and-forth hoping that his shield breaks or you manage to feint him just right, which is difficult because one handed weapons swing faster than other weapon types.

Shields are historically popular for a reason.  I think having them break, and making certain weapon types do extra damage to them is fair enough.  Perhaps the shield-bearer should be stunned an equal amount to their attacker after a block.  In terms of game balance, I think a shield should be about holding lines/choke points, protection from projectiles, or just having that flawless defense option when you don't want to try and match someone's dueling skill.  It shouldn't be about the ability to create low-risk counter-attacks.

Also what about sprinting? It's annoying fighting archers by veerry slowly waddling towards them while they pepper you with projectiles. Hope you brought a shield, and even if you do holding the shield up slows you way down anyways so you'll never catch them.

Ability to sprint would be fun, but lots of potential for unintended consequences to game balance.  I don't even think it's necessary for balance against archers.  This is a type of game where different load outs and skill sets have their opportunities to shine in different situations.  As an archer, you are worthless if you can't rack up kills on advancing infantry, because your time is up once that distance is closed.  In a siege, you're hard pressed to keep that distance once the enemy has flooded the battlements.  On open ground, you can kite infantry, but are easy prey for cavalry.  It's gratifying to be a two-hand bruiser type, but you gotta accept that you'll have specific situations in which you're most relevant, just like everyone else.

And what about armor? Honestly the way damage works in M&B is pretty silly. At least there's three types of damage, but most of it just deals with making armor less effective against attacks.

Yet the damage system is faaaaar beyond those in 95% of games featuring melee combat.  Very little complaint here.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2016, 06:39:48 pm »

... I'd like to see a new version of Phantasy Calradia in MB2. Then again, I'd like to see a new version of Phantasy Calradia in MB1...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2016, 07:05:40 pm »

The bigger question is how can you evolve M&B further mechanically? Because the underlying system is pretty well developed. You can expand it with stuff like more different weapons and nations and the like, or add novel combat areas like ship battles, or maybe evolve sieges further a bit, such as adding multiple paths of storming the castle, but that all's not so much evolution as much as it is additional content.
No, M&B's engine had basically shit support for any of those things. A new engine could actually do that stuff (and more) without being hacky as hell.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2016, 10:47:04 pm »

M&B was awesome fun when it first came out, spent hundred of hours on it. But it does start to show its age now. I hope M&B2 feels less clunky
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 62