Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 94992 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Boys wear Pink, Girls wear Blue.
« Reply #630 on: January 08, 2019, 09:40:07 pm »

I don't vouch for a military intervention because it would mean even more senseless life loses. I would support something like Noriega's extraction but that would be hard to pull here.

However as the military of this country has proven over and over again is that they won't support a democratic movement since the higher echelons are knee deep in narcotics trade and all sorts of racketeering and corruption, while middle and lower ranks are either too afraid to do anything or too brainwashed and enjoying the pitiful perks of having a tad of power.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 08, 2019, 10:36:51 pm »

The United States is not going to do anything other than the common sanctions and the like.

I think you underestimate how easily Trump is swayed by strongmen, or at least how much he cowers to them. Not to mention that he is going to become desperate for distractions as the pressure on him builds.
Well, go on. You're claiming it's likely that a war and regime change is imminent, I assume you've got some fascinating data to back that up?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 09, 2019, 02:38:40 am »

I never said that it was imminent, just that I wouldn't put it past Trump to try something.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 25, 2019, 04:48:10 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46997555

Really surprised nobody here's mentioned the fact that the opposition leader Juan Guaidó  just declared himself president at a rally, the US officially backed him (and recognised him as the 'real' leader of Venezuela) within minutes, followed by several other south american nations and the UK, while Russia makes threatening warning noises.

US National Security Adviser John Bolton has said the Trump administration is working on a plan to funnel funds to Mr Guaidó, who is currently at an undisclosed location.

President Trump has said that "all options are on the table" in response to the unrest.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 25, 2019, 05:04:38 am »

I mean, it'd be a great distraction from domestic US politics... A war with Venezuela? That's an untapped resource of brown people to fight! It'll be a blatant installation of a hand-picked puppet sympathetic to US economic interests, just like the good old days!

Yeah, I still doubt it's going to be outright war, but it's definitely gonna be interesting. "Interesting", in the "What if we fixed this by making it worse?" sense of the term.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 25, 2019, 06:11:47 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46997555

Really surprised nobody here's mentioned

We had a tangent in the WTF thread this time instead ;)
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 25, 2019, 06:19:32 am »

Interestingly, Mexico is bucking the USA's influence and backing Maduro on this.

That could be as much of a snub of Trump as support of Maduro: Trump does X, so Mexico does Y.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:22:40 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 25, 2019, 06:22:46 am »

Interestingly, Mexico is bucking the USA's influence and backing Maduro on this.
Yeah, I'm wondering how much of that is actually Mexico supporting Maduro, and how much of it is "Goddamnit EEUU, stop trying to drive South/Central American politics like a damn RC car"

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 25, 2019, 07:38:10 am »

I mean, it'd be a great distraction from domestic US politics... A war with Venezuela? That's an untapped resource of brown people to fight! It'll be a blatant installation of a hand-picked puppet sympathetic to US economic interests, just like the good old days!

Yeah, I still doubt it's going to be outright war, but it's definitely gonna be interesting. "Interesting", in the "What if we fixed this by making it worse?" sense of the term.
Hey! I'm not brown. If anything I'm pasty informatic white.

But seriously yeah, I didn't wanted to rock the boat much here but it sure is interesting. The thing is that he just didn't proclaimed himself president on a rally. It was the culmination of months of work and he's really sticking to our constitution, which if followed by the letter didn't gave him much options either, he had to take charge or renounce to his seat as "senator" (the word in Spanish is diputado, dunno I'd senator is really the same
 Congressman seem more fitting).

Anyway, why would you think USA besides the obvious would support a change when the former government always took any chance to proclaim you were an evil empire of war and destruction and eating babies while at the same time they stave us to death, quite literally?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 25, 2019, 07:45:30 am »

Diputado would be related to the English word Deputy. You're right that this usually refers the the lower house of a bicarmarel legislature, so it's the equivalent of the US Congress. However, there are places with a unicarmarel system where it's just a Senate. e.g. in Wales, they have the Senedd.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:59:20 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 25, 2019, 07:59:58 am »

The Irish one is called Sinead
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 25, 2019, 08:01:45 am »

Sure I would guess. We used to have a bicameral congress with deputies and senators but then the revolution came in and dissolved that to make a simpler national assembly which consists only on deputies.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 25, 2019, 08:05:40 am »

(In Sweden they're called realmsdaysmen and -women
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 25, 2019, 08:07:35 am »

Really? I would have thought that in Sweden they would have deemed it sexist to have gender-specific terms for that and changed it ages ago. But ... I guess that type of stuff is off the table now due to the political situation.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 25, 2019, 08:16:06 am »

Well if you want to you could also call it realmsdayslimbtowards, that's gender neutral.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73