Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 95002 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Border Block
« Reply #765 on: April 30, 2019, 10:52:21 am »

Is not a coup on the basis they (Maduro and Co) aren't the state anymore, not since last january 10th and remain in power by momentun and brute force, not by true democratic mechanisms.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 30, 2019, 10:55:40 am »

It appears to be a combination coup and revolution/popular uprising. Gotta wonder if the coup part is spontaneous or planned though.
Usually, only the leadership matters when it comes to figuring out which is the case.

Anyway, shit is going down right now so expect the thread to get updated pretty fast.

Is not a coup on the basis they (Maduro and Co) aren't the state anymore, not since last january 10th and remain in power by momentun and brute force, not by true democratic mechanisms.
A de-facto State is still a State, my friend. And States don't need to be democratic. They just need to Be. You could argue that Guaidó has splintered the State into his own and Maduro's, but he was part of the State when he began the whole process, which is what tends to be used when it comes down to classification.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 30, 2019, 11:04:07 am »

Well, it's being used in the broader definition of a coup which is to 'remove a leader by force', though everybody seems to be using different terms for the whole thing, mainly depending on the point of view. Guaido's ambassador to the US is calling it a constitutional crisis.

It appears to be a combination coup and revolution/popular uprising. Gotta wonder if the coup part is spontaneous or planned though.
Usually, only the leadership matters when it comes to figuring out which is the case.

Anyway, shit is going down right now so expect the thread to get updated pretty fast.

A de-facto State is still a State, my friend. And States don't need to be democratic. They just need to Be. You could argue that Guaidó has splintered the State into his own and Maduro's, but he was part of the State when he began the whole process, which is what tends to be used when it comes down to classification.

As I said, the word used depends on your point of view.

Starting to get bloody now. Context is that a video shows National Guard troops running over protestors, but the video isn't in the link itself, but is linked at the The Guardian liveblog post.

edit: *sees thread title change* I wouldn't call it a 'Venezuelan civil war' since it doesn't really meet the definition of a civil war, more of a popular revolt. If theres any counterprotestors clashing against the protestors, I haven't heard anything about it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:11:35 am by smjjames »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Venezuelan Civil Unrest
« Reply #768 on: April 30, 2019, 11:12:57 am »

Hence the question mark. It could be the start of one. If it calms down enough that it doesn't get to that point, and I hope that's what happens, I'll change it to something less alarmist.

EDIT: Went and changed it to please the People.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:44:34 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 30, 2019, 11:57:35 am »

The words civil unrest invariably makes me think in civilization ii and iii.

Anyway, I dont think we are poised for a civil war although confrontations and skirmishes are prone to occur amongst the diferent groups of military and civilians from  both sides. At the moment it seems it's way less than half the military is backing Guaido but who knows... they are calling more people to the street to show our unrest and discontent and there are tons of rumors and gossip. I'll stay put here with a large stick and a knife just in case some unarmed or ligth armed punk want to come in, which is unlikely anyway since we haven't much and is really aparent.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:33:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 30, 2019, 03:38:45 pm »

Belgium is kind of a special case though. Not sure what Belgium going without a proper government for almost 600 days has to do with the current situation in Venezuela.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 30, 2019, 03:55:02 pm »

Belgium didn't have an elected government, but the non-elected officials didn't stop working during that time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 30, 2019, 04:08:20 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:33:27 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 30, 2019, 06:14:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:33:30 pm by dragdeler »
let

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 30, 2019, 06:41:46 pm »

On a sidenote according to Bild (...) Maduro was dissuated by the russians to flee to Cuba.

That's according to Sec. of State Pompeo's words. Russia, naturally, replied with 'No we didn't'.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 30, 2019, 06:42:31 pm »

Posting to watch.

I hope if the coup is successful the international community lends its aid to rebuilding the Venezuelan economy.

“lends its aid” = “seizes the sweet, succulent opportunity of filling a power vacuum”
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 30, 2019, 06:45:44 pm »

for what I've read it seems the coup is a bust.  A few groups people, incl Leopoldo Lopez and 24 of Guaido's original 100 soldiers have taken refuge in some embassies in Caracas. Seems to point to low expectations of success
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 30, 2019, 06:55:13 pm »

Yeah, they never got anywhere close to their goal (they may or may not have nearly made Maduro flee the country though) and from a blogpost on The Guardian, apparently they had more support previously but some of the support balked and Guaido moved up the timetable to today.

We'll see whether Maduro goes brutal crackdown or not. I know he didn't do anything remotely brutal with previous protests, but dictatorships tend to react to situations like this brutally.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 30, 2019, 07:37:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:33:33 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 73