Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2571 2572 [2573] 2574 2575 ... 3518

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3677101 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38580 on: August 11, 2020, 03:53:46 pm »

It's funny, in some of my DC circles people are mainly happy that it's not Susan Rice.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38581 on: August 11, 2020, 04:09:38 pm »

y'know, this is the first sign of life I've heard from Biden in like a month.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #38582 on: August 11, 2020, 04:15:09 pm »

I bet the strategy here is to run Kamala as the public face of the campaign while Biden camps out in his bunker with his mouth taped shut.
Everyone has already made the assumption that the voodoo mojo powering Biden's phylactery is gonna run out before the conclusion of his hypothetical first term anyway
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38583 on: August 11, 2020, 04:19:22 pm »

The biggest thing you want from a VP candidate is that they bring some chunk of voters to your side. This is often a state, but it is equally often a demographic group that you need to shore up support for. In Biden's case, he specifically is going for an "I'm old, so I need to have a good VP to allay fears of what happens if I keel over" angle as well.

Harris is a bad choice for multiple reasons.

1. She is from California, a safe D state. There is no advantage to boosting California
2. The largest demographics that can be boosted by a black female candidate are blacks and females. Both of those demographics were already very sour on Harris during the primary, favoring other candidates. More importantly, Harris is a Law And Order prosecutor who has traditionally been very supportive of the police. In an election year where "the police are murdering us" is one of the biggest single issues among the black community that the Ds need to take the White House.
3. She got absolutely crushed in the primaries because nobody liked her very much. "The person you hate and strongly demonstrated you do not want as President will become President if I die" is not a good message.

I doubt this will cost Biden the election, given the polls, but it is almost certain to hurt downballot races. The Rs already have a pretty even chance of retaining their Senate majority, and even a small slump in the D polls will turn that into a 70 or 80 percent chance.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38584 on: August 11, 2020, 04:55:22 pm »

kamala harris was just announced to be biden's VP pick

Please clap.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38585 on: August 11, 2020, 04:58:05 pm »

kamala harris was just announced to be biden's VP pick

Please clap.

AND THE CROWD GOES mild
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38586 on: August 11, 2020, 05:00:49 pm »

Harris is a safe choice. Biden didn't want anyone too much farther left than him to turn into his own Sarah Palin. Will it gain him many votes by bringing in people on the outside? Probably not. But the choice will definitely avoid scaring people off who may be on the Conservative side of things.

Is she the best choice? Probably not. But she's not the worst either.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38587 on: August 11, 2020, 05:49:43 pm »

The woman who let George Floyd's killer off before, while the protests continue. Great.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38588 on: August 11, 2020, 05:53:39 pm »

Harris is not a safe choice because there are a lot of reasons for core D supporters to dislike her. If they dislike her enough to not go to the polls, it is going to hurt.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38589 on: August 11, 2020, 05:54:36 pm »

She's a weird choice given the protests and riots we've been having.  Dicstrict attorneys aren't really sympathetic figures, and supposedly she was a pretty aggressive one.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38590 on: August 11, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »

Kamala is a cop. Not excited about this choice in the least.

Still, a shambling corpse and a cop is preferable to Trump/Pence.

I really hope this doesn't lead to our first female president. Getting backdoored by VP pick is a disappointing historic moment.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38591 on: August 11, 2020, 05:59:33 pm »

Normally, the veep is irrelevant. Pence didn't make any waves and I don't remember who Clinton's guy was, but he was even less relevant. But as Biden is, if not actually going to die, slowly turning into a living corpse when he's not on the meth, it is uniquely relevant in this election.

The cop wants to be President on a technicality, that's for sure, but she could also be the vehicle by which the Democrats make their customary next jump into old Republican territory should they win. In this case, it'll be Trumpism minus the cultural signifiers - eco fortress state stuff. The Republicans will then nominate Tom Cotton, who will win in 2024 and call for race testing immigrants while fighting the war with Iran.

Of course, Biden might also just lose, or "lose". I don't even really know what Trump does then, particularly if they don't retake Congress.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38592 on: August 11, 2020, 06:11:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:37:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares