Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214812 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster [14] - Turn 9
« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2017, 03:39:13 pm »

"I have some skill with alchemy and know about the impending destruction of this world."

"What, exactly, are you doing here? I might have some other skills that I didn't know were relevant to your work."
"Alchemy mmh? You heard that?"

"I guess it could be interesting... grr. I still demand to see if it brings us any useful knowledge. Though you heard what he said about the end of the world? This one may actually just have a screw loose."

The Ettin had got out from the mess of broken shelves.
"We are studying this creature. And looking for good magical ingredients."
"Where did you find it, if I may ask?"

"What are you accumulating these magical ingredients for? The pursuit of power for its own sake?"
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:48 pm »

Protoquin

Rest until night, then find something sleeping to intrude on the dreams of

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 23, 2017, 03:13:48 pm »

I use life drain on the Earthbound Dibras.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:30 pm »

LETSSSSSS AGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2017, 12:00:38 am »

((Got distracted a bit.))

Ulkas hummed while browsing their options.

"Guardians? Well, not exactly same, of course, but of similar configuration and purpose. Possibly, local ones reacted to the movement of the platform before. We should check if they are actually tracking us. Let's prepare ambush and see."

Backtrack a bit and choose such place as not to be on direct route to the platform and impossible to be seen unless magically pursued. If all goes well - observe. If guardian attacks - try controlling it, if unsuccessful - engage in battle with illusions and Astrosa fast brutality.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:03:41 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2017, 10:17:30 pm »

Sorry for taking a little while, turn should be up by tomorrow :)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2017, 10:34:58 pm »

Hey, it's a big group, we understand.
Take all the time you need.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2017, 11:37:05 am »

Gray covered his travels from eating the crown through training with Masen, including meeting the desert djinn, traveling with Glint, meeting Barag and Kokaun, and killing that giant scorpion monster thing, and being pursued on the way to Masen's. Also, Gray would make it clear that all of his fights were in self-defense. He would also let Hinrab know about Masen being sick.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 26, 2017, 01:38:55 am »

Hey, it's a big group, we understand.
Take all the time you need.

You are forgiven.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 26, 2017, 03:09:51 am »

I'm halfway through, but won't be able to finish tonight it seems. Next turn tomorrow!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster [14] - Turn 10
« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2017, 07:41:51 pm »

Turn 10:

Turn 9

The Azarian Project, the Thoughling (Dustan Hache)
first, try to get my bearings and hide.  Then, reach out and try to feed on the mind of one of the gnomes for Information and growth. Being hidden should make it easier to avoid retaliation.

Hiding:
Action Roll (Diff 5): [20] -Critical Success-

You stand up and take a look at your surroundings, regaining your composure. You spot a perfect hiding place nearby, an enshadowed place among the rubbles of a destroyed home. As the small creatures cackle and feast on the rotten meat, you move in the shadow until you reach the chosen hiding spot.

Mind Eater:
Combat Roll (Int 1 vs Ind 0): [10]+4 (Sneak Attack (+4)) vs [6]
Critical Roll: [7]

You easily reach out to the mind of this simplistic creature. You can feel the twirl of its current emotions: satisfaction, pride, carelessness. You gnaw at it, and then reach deeper. Recent memories abound, you see very tall humanoids from the cover of the ruins. Ogres of many size and shapes, stumbling upon the town after fleeing from something. You gnaw once more. The remaining thoughts and memories you can pick up tell of mundane and unimportant things.

The gnome wobbles, and fall unconscious. Just one more and its mind will shatter.

Its two kin let out a surprised yelp. They first shake him, then worriedly sniff around. One begins to pull it away.

Nearby Monsters:
-2 Dark Gnomes
-1 Dark Gnome: Unconscious

Squelchy, the Omnislime (Coolrune206)
Squelchy dispersed emergency pheromones. No telling what slime may show up, but anything is better than this.

Emergency Pheromones:
Luck Roll: [6]

The two Arachnastinians muttered something over the body of their dead comrade, and slowly walked toward you. You noticed a large and deadly stinger had came out from the vibrant green's hand. It seems there was venom dripping from its tip.

You had released a powerful cloud of pheromones, desperate for help.

Slowly, death in the form of this chitinous monster walked toward you. Time seemed to have slowed to a crawl, contempt on observing this spectacle. Suddenly, the two creatures stopped. They looked around, seemingly worried.

You picked up a faint smell of rotting vegetal matter. Then a light brush. And a loud sound of trees snapping and grass trampled under a heavy foot.

Right behind your two would-be executors, there was a massive shape. Before you could discern what it was, it had crushed one of the Arachnastinians under a heavy arm. And now you could see it better.

It was some sort of wingless dragon. Except it was covered with a thick layer of green dripping ooze. Everywhere that ooze fell, plants withered and died, hence the smell. The reptiles yellow copper scales could barely be seen under this neverending flow of ooze. Its yellow reptilian eyes were never covered, as if the ooze flowed right around them.

The dragon roared, and ooze spluttered from its maw. It was a terrifying roar, and the ooze seemed to ripple in concert with it, amplifying the sound.

It lifted its arm, revealing the crushed and half-melted insect monster, whose essence had just been claimed. Then it turned toward the other, which immediately attempted to escape into the trees. The dragon started giving chase, crushing the trees in its wake.

Luckily, it tore some of the webs in its rampage, allowing you to set yourself free.

Nearby Monsters:
-Arachnastinian #1: Fleeing for dear life
-Voracious Miasm Dragon: On the Hunt

Spoiler: Squelchy Status (click to show/hide)

Gordy the Toothbaby (Paxiecrunchie)
Gordy, Immensely disappointed at the lack of a worthwhile challenge decides to wander west this time until either he begins to hunger or he finds a worthwhile target or an unusual feature of the landscape

Wandering:
Event Roll: [2]

You decided to set off further west, further toward the source of the mangrove's muddy waters. You don't notice anything of interest during your travel, not until you find yourself at the border of a stream of muddy water.

You turn toward a splashing sound, and see a large eel like creature with many long fat tentacles on its head, creeping toward you.

Nearby Monsters:
-Mangrove Tentacled Eel Monster [Not enough inspiration for a name]

Spoiler: Gordy's Status (click to show/hide)

Go'Von, the Gray Ooze (Puppyguard)
Seeing the danger was gone, Go'Von went to sleep to burn some calories for healing.

You fell asleep, letting your body recover from its wounds during sleep.

HP fully recovered

Event Roll: [5]

You had a strange dream. Somewhere close, a light was calling out to you. It had a soft, warm voice. It was waiting you.

When you woke up, you still had the feelingof knowing where that voice was. It was nearby, you knew where to go.

[Situation Overview]

You are in an underground cave with a tall ceiling. There is a way slightly going up, and another going down. There are many cracks in the walls, and a lot of stalagmites around. There are also smaller tunnels leading who know where.

Spoiler: Go'Von Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
"I've got you now..." Skee thought, before running from the creature, waiting for the poison to take effect. Once the monster was paralyzed, Skee went to parasite it.

Fleeing:
Action Roll (Diff 12): [18]
Outcome Roll: [2] -Success-

You ran away, avoiding direct confrontation. The poison would eventually take effect, even if it had spotted you, it was too late for the monster.

The monster chased you, intending to tear you apart. The poison didn't seem to have taken effect yet.

Fleeing:
Action Roll (Diff 10): [11]
Outcome Roll: [5] -Overshoot-

Eluding the monster with your small shape, you easily avoided it. Then you failed to notice a glob of sticky matter on the ground.

The Junbara leapt toward you, and suddenly tetanized midair. Unable to follow on its motion, it crashed on the ground, the poison having finally taken effect.

Once you got yourself free from the sticky substance, you parasited the creature.

[Host Status updated]

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

Neophytos the Sole Survivor, Psychic Pain Spider (randomgenericusername)
While I don't have enough information, I don't think we should blindly trust them withouth proof of their strenght and their ability to protect us. If they are as strong as they say, we don't really have a choice but to join them, have we?

If you wish to send someone, I want to volunteer for the mission. But I think a sylvarian should go too.

"That's a reasonable opinion. While many of us here pride their individuality and independence, survival is a much more important matter. We all know that, having escaped from extinction. Thanks for the report Neophytos, I will return to you once the council is over."

You bid goodbye to Sedre, and left the hut.

[What did you do in the meantime?]

Eventually the council among the various representatives of the community had concluded. Some sort of large rabbit monster came to meet you to pass Sedre's message.

"The representatives couldn't come to a conclusion. The majority is against submitting, but most also agree that if they were faced with the choice of extinction or submission, they would rather submit. Sedre wants to know if you still feel ready for the mission of meeting the Arachnastinians. He would like you to gather information from them, and consider their proposition with your own eyes."

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"Now, I don't exactly remember all the theory, but in a nutshell it's basically what makes up the soul. The more essence one has, the stronger their soul. The stronger their soul, the stronger they become. And since some monsters and humans can absorb Essence, like me for example, they can get really damn strong, really damn fast."

Past!Conversation with Past!Prias continues. If I remember more details about Essence, mention them as well.

Past!Priam said in a slightly worried voice.
"So you basically eat souls to get stronger? That's quite ominous, the kind of power you would see on a cursed weapon trying to take control of its user."

Well, put it that way... Either way, you tried to remember details about Essence. Mmh, speaking about it, where did all that knowledge came from? You went on to explain to Past!Prias that it wasn't as scary as it seemed. Essence was the building block of the soul, and everyone absorbed essence over their life, it was a natural part of life.

The special bit about you was that you could more efficiently absorb this essence.

Event Roll: [5]

As Prias had finished checking the traps of the current area, he moved on to the next. You and your host noticed a taut rope attached to a tree. That was a signal that a trap had been triggered.

The rope was moving, as if pulled by something on its fartest end. Whatever was the cause of it, it happened recently.

Prias's hand reflexively started looking for his knife, but you interrupted him. You could do much better than this poor iron knife. You transformed into a spear, which you thought suited to the need for prudence. That way your host would be able to keep threat at a distance.

Prias followed the rope toward its source, following the safe paths of the forest. Every village knew these, naturally. This forest was a veritable minefield you thought.

(...)

There was a large four armed gorilla-like monster with white fur. From the look of the situation, it had been rammed by the log trap, and fell into a pitfall filled with upright spikes. There were 6 tense ropes binding it, and already two had been torn apart.

"A Gargarm! What is it doing so close to the village?..."

Nearby Monster:
-Gargarm: Stunned / Movement Impaired / Wounded

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Aspred Bagrid, the Enormous Catfish Serpent (GigaGiant)
Aspred Bagrid, the Enormous Catfish Serpent
Create a whirlpool underneath the boat and try to throw the ship into disarray. Then reveal myself and begin devouring people and damaging the boat.

Whirlpool:
Action Roll (Diff 4): [12]
Outcome Roll: [6] -Overshoot-

You swam clockwise with very high speed, with the boat in the center of your trajectory. Seawater followed your movement, and soon enough, a powerful whirlpool dragging the boat down appeared. One so powerful, it tore the ship into splinters, sending its parts and passengers all across the depths.

The people on the boat quickly died from a combination of blunt trauma and drowning, their bodies scattered across the sea.

Finding people to devour:
Action Roll (Diff 12): [17]
Outcome Roll: [1] -Success-

You ate the lifeless corpses of four people, gaining their essences.

+4 Lesser Essence

Spoiler: Aspred Bagrid Status (click to show/hide)

Theta, the Wolf (Rautherdir)
Use [Punish the Weak]. If the Leuscrat is still alive after that keep attacking it.

Punish the Weak:
Combat Roll (Str 1 vs Con 0): [7] vs [5]-4 (Fleeing (-4))
Critical Roll: [5]+1 -Normal Hit-
Damage: [4]*2=[8]

You made an incredible leap, lunging on the running Leuscrat. With a vicious hit to the back, you lacerated its flesh, inflicting a critical wound.

[Previous Overshoot]

Suddenly two Leuscrats appeared to the side. The roar was a call for reinforcements! They themselves roared as they saw you attacking their kin.

Intentions Unknown:
-Leuscrat: Terrified! / Critically Wounded
-2 more Leuscrats:

Spoiler: Theta Status (click to show/hide)

(Shard of) Breadweed, the Resilient (ATHATH)
"Where did you find it, if I may ask?"

"What are you accumulating these magical ingredients for? The pursuit of power for its own sake?"

"Found this one in the forest. Now enough asking, show me what you've got. Alchemy you said hhm?"

He had stood up by now, and pointed toward a cauldron. There were a bunch of materials, from dried bodyparts, processed vegetable matter, and even rocks and powders of some kind. You skimmed quickly through everything, you could definitely create potions and mixtures with specific properties, and maybe more, but that would require studying each ingredients.

He waited for you to do or say something.

Intentions Unknown (but probably not friendly):
-Blue Ettin: Having fun?
-Butterfly monster: Not having fun

Spoiler: Breadweed Status (click to show/hide)

The Protoquin (Failbird105)
Protoquin

Rest until night, then find something sleeping to intrude on the dreams of

You laid in this cave, attempting to find solace in sleep.

HP fully recovered

You woke up, the surroundings were silent as ever. Silence blended in the darkness of the night, an element in which you felt at home. You thanked this cave for sheltering you, and left to look for a sleeping creature.

Luck Roll: [6]

After a while of fruitless search, you sensed a sleeping presence in this empty place. Following it, you found a cave similar to the one you hid into, and inside was a curled ball of white fur. You could discern no details, the way it was curled prevented it.

Nearby Monstes:
-A ball of fur?

Spoiler: The Protoquin Status (click to show/hide)

Xizilitiz, the Lesser Angel (crazyabe)
I use life drain on the Earthbound Dibras.

Life Drain:
Combat Roll (Pow 2 vs Res 1): [11] vs [5]
Critical Roll: [5] -Normal Hit-
Damage: [4]*1.5=[6]

You targeted the hostile monster, burning off a chunk of its lifeforce, which you absorbed as magic energy. The Dibras staggered from the attack, and suddenly its hairs straightened and lodged firmly into the ground, forming some sort of pillar.

Boulder Toss:
Combat Roll (Str 2 vs Con 0): [13] vs [3]
Critical Roll: [1] -Normal Hit-
Damage: [6]*3=[18]

In extremis dodge:
Action Roll (Diff 13): [4]+2 (Flying (+2))
Critical Roll: [5] -Partial Success-

The monster dug up a large amount of ground with its two hands, crushing it into a ball of rock and dirt. Then it winded up, and threw it at you with force. You attempted to move away from the trajectory, but failed to completely dodge it.

The large projectile knocked you aside, crushing your side and sending you crashing into the tall grasses.

-9HP

You heard sounds of hissing and ringing, and another boulder being tossed. It seems the viper was distracting the Dibras.

Intentions Unknown:
-Evined Viper: it hisseeees

Hostile:
-Earthbound Dibras:

Spoiler: Xizilitiz Status (click to show/hide)

Fluorine, the Harpie - (AbstractTraitorHero)
LETSSSSSS AGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You flew right through the stream of cold wind, passing right through the wall of clouds and twisting winds. The temperature suddenly decreased, and you felt chills all across your body.

Emerging from the thick wall of clouds, you saw the other side. Several mountains and hills covered in pure white snow, with the wall of cloud separating them from the other mountains.

Spoiler: Fluorine Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
((Got distracted a bit.))

Ulkas hummed while browsing their options.

"Guardians? Well, not exactly same, of course, but of similar configuration and purpose. Possibly, local ones reacted to the movement of the platform before. We should check if they are actually tracking us. Let's prepare ambush and see."

Backtrack a bit and choose such place as not to be on direct route to the platform and impossible to be seen unless magically pursued. If all goes well - observe. If guardian attacks - try controlling it, if unsuccessful - engage in battle with illusions and Astrosa fast brutality.

You retraced your steps, and took a turn in a side tunnel of the main path. Then taking cover in a room filled with empty crates, you waited, watching the main path. Astrosa was following the presence with her gaze, allowing you to trace its rough position. It was getting closer to the side corridor. Closer, closer, soon you would know what that presence was.

A being flew past the side corridor, continuing toward the entrance you came from. You only saw it in a flash, but that was enough for you to engrave its shape in your mind.

It was some sort of pale metallic-blue humanoid, except it had no legs. Instead, its lower body had the shape of a boat. Its head, which was like a helmet, had glowing engraved lines, one brighter than the others forming a circle in the middle of its face.

From the look of it, it did seem to be some construct like you suspected. But knowing more required investigation.

"You saw it? I never saw anything like that. Do you think you know something?" inquired Astrosa.

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Gray the Unstable Prismetal Blaster (Beirus)
Gray covered his travels from eating the crown through training with Masen, including meeting the desert djinn, traveling with Glint, meeting Barag and Kokaun, and killing that giant scorpion monster thing, and being pursued on the way to Masen's. Also, Gray would make it clear that all of his fights were in self-defense. He would also let Hinrab know about Masen being sick.

The caravan resumed its travel, and you narrated your adventures from start to finish to the attentive Hinrab.

You told him of the gray and damp castle you came from, of the verdant forests, and of your first day in the vast Copper Desert. Of your encounter with the desert djinn, of your encounter with Glint, Vagush and Tirim. Of your fight with the bandits, of your fight with the Radasars, and then of your meeting with Barag and Kokaun.

Hinrab listened to your whole story with attention and curiosity. He often shouted in surprise, inquired about your thoughts, feelings at the time, and constantly made amazed remarks of your adventures.

Ah, Desert Djinni! Curious dwellers of the desert, both a curse and a blessing to travellers. He himself had met one, which guided him to an oasis.
Ah, such mysterious creatures! Monsters were so intriguing, and as varied as humans personalities.
Ah, Radasars! They had become a threat serious enough to mobilize the Prince's Hand, and a war was underway.
Ah, this old Barag! One of the first disciples, one of the most devout. A great man, one of few words, but of great wisdom.

"I am sure your tales would make a great book."

Then you told him of the journey to the Ta Simal plateau, and of your days spent with Masen, and of his sickness.
"Ah... So that's how it is. If Barag is with him, I have no fear for the master. I wish I could have gone to pay him a visit myself."

Then Hinrab told him a bit more about him. He was a wandering mage, who used his travels to better his magic and learn more about the world. He specialized in Ashafan glyph magic. He explained that glyph magic spells were cast by drawing a glyph or a succession of glyphs, and infusing them with magic energy. It was a powerful magic for desert travellers, as one could draw a glyph very easily in the sand.

Hinrab admired your pacifist attitude, fighting not to kill but to protect. He half-jokingly pondered if your pacifism could stem from your natural lack of a need to feed on other living beings? When he asked how you sustained yourself, you didn't know how to answer. That was a mystery to yourself too.

As the sun started to set, you saw the looming shadow of a great city. Farune, the city of the Great Southern Oasis, was in sights. At this time of the hour, it seemed as if the walls of the city were made of gold, and the nearby oasis glimmered with the blessing of water.

"What will you do in Farune? I think you could use a guide, the people there will definitely be... surprised by your appearance."

Nearby Humans:
-Hinrab, Masen disciple:
-Caravan Security Riders:
-Civilians:

Spoiler: Gray Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:50:28 am by Nakéen »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 26, 2017, 07:47:23 pm »

I Attempt to use my magic(Flesh shifter) to restore this one's side to slightly more useful shape.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2017, 07:48:46 pm »

Go'Von blindly went towards the light calling to him.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2017, 07:54:24 pm »

Squelchy quickly absorbed some sunlight (assuming there's some here), then tried to break his companions free using the same strategies as earlier. If that failed, he retreated to the other slimes and began recruiting an emergency rescue party to save his companions.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2017, 08:08:43 pm »

Missed me.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 99