Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97212 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1095 on: March 08, 2020, 09:49:02 am »

I honestly can't remember any other characters who *actually* died by falling, in any work.
Clayton in Disney's Tarzan (1999). That's the only one I can think of where it was specifically the fall that did the killing and not whatever was down there.

Really obvious one here: Die Hard. Another one comes to mind, the original (UK) House of Cards.
Falling deaths are more common than you're making out, unless you mean hitting "the ground" as "whatever was down there" doesn't count as falling being the cause of death.

We've all probably seen more of those deaths than we recall. Consider this scene: person falls off building, hits roof of car, denting that and shattering the glass: car alarm blaring as camera pans over the wreckage, making it clear that they're dead. Don't tell me you haven't seen this shot, probably over and over in movies.

There's a watchmojo top 10 video about movie falling deaths, but I hate that content mill Watchmojo and you should too.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:05:08 am by Reelya »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 08, 2020, 11:54:03 am »

I honestly can't remember any other characters who *actually* died by falling, in any work.
Clayton in Disney's Tarzan (1999). That's the only one I can think of where it was specifically the fall that did the killing and not whatever was down there.

Really obvious one here: Die Hard. Another one comes to mind, the original (UK) House of Cards.
Falling deaths are more common than you're making out, unless you mean hitting "the ground" as "whatever was down there" doesn't count as falling being the cause of death.

We've all probably seen more of those deaths than we recall. Consider this scene: person falls off building, hits roof of car, denting that and shattering the glass: car alarm blaring as camera pans over the wreckage, making it clear that they're dead. Don't tell me you haven't seen this shot, probably over and over in movies.

There's a watchmojo top 10 video about movie falling deaths, but I hate that content mill Watchmojo and you should too.
Reelya, they're obviously referring to scenes where a character falls down a pit or whatever but we never see them hitting the ground or something else. Just falls down pit and then cut.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 08, 2020, 11:55:50 am »

Would Steven Segal in Executive Decision count as that? He fell out a plane.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 08, 2020, 11:57:32 am »

"Getting stabbed and pushed out a window, the Eric Draven story."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 08, 2020, 12:08:15 pm »

Reelya, they're obviously referring to scenes where a character falls down a pit or whatever but we never see them hitting the ground or something else. Just falls down pit and then cut.

But what they said was they can't recall any character who ever died by falling. If you exclude all falling deaths where they are shown to be dead afterwards, then conclude falling deaths are always a fake-out, then that's entirely circular.

Or, it's a very pointless tautology: characters who aren't actually shown to die usually aren't dead.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:26:11 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 08, 2020, 12:50:55 pm »

That's not a tautology, but yeah.  Deaths which aren't explicitly shown are often fake-outs.  Falling "deaths" are just a common mechanism for that.  It's still funny to me since the height can be extremely lethal, but the character probably isn't really dead somehow (I'm counting Palpatine despite the technicality).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 08, 2020, 12:54:58 pm »

You're a tautology!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 08, 2020, 01:26:36 pm »

Maul died from the light sabre strike, but survived the fall

The reason he survived the fall was that he was already dead from getting cut in half, so the fall couldn't kill him

He was able to glitch out the star wars universe, that's how he lived
Love, scriver~

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 08, 2020, 03:34:44 pm »

I'm enjoying Season 7 of The Clone Wars, but maybe it's just rebound from forcing myself to enjoy Rebels. If you liked the other six seasons of Clone Wars you'll probably like S7, even though the Bad Batch was obviously supposed to be Delta Squad in an earlier draft of the script
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 23, 2020, 03:54:41 pm »

The Man in Black from S6 of Lost

The wife in Vertigo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:40:03 pm by Eschar »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 30, 2020, 02:26:33 pm »

The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode 1 is out.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 30, 2020, 02:38:13 pm »

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Thanks for the heads up!!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 30, 2020, 03:54:06 pm »

Just finished it. The krayt dragon fanservice was *air kiss of perfection*.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 30, 2020, 03:57:24 pm »

Spoiler: Spoilers (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 30, 2020, 04:27:52 pm »

Just finished it. The krayt dragon fanservice was *air kiss of perfection*.

kreyt snek boobs?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 81