Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218677 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #795 on: May 09, 2020, 09:37:47 am »

You know those image captchas where you click on all pictures with an item and submit? The ones that are used to train self driving cars? I want to go to a website where I can do those to help with training AI
My immediate thought was that I too want to go on such a website but to click on every part of the pictures until the AI becomes neurotic and erratic and afraid of everything, just like ne
You two better be on a lookout for time travelling bodybuilders trying to prevent the birth of SkyNet.
I haven’t seen the Terminator movies, I heard there are lots of time paradoxes. Why did Skynet hate humans anyway?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 09, 2020, 09:41:00 am »

I haven’t seen the Terminator movies, I heard there are lots of time paradoxes. Why did Skynet hate humans anyway?
No idea. But
I want to go to a website where I can do those to help with training AI
until the AI becomes neurotic and erratic and afraid of everything, just like ne
sounds plausible.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 09, 2020, 09:48:38 am »

You know those image captchas where you click on all pictures with an item and submit? The ones that are used to train self driving cars? I want to go to a website where I can do those to help with training AI
My immediate thought was that I too want to go on such a website but to click on every part of the pictures until the AI becomes neurotic and erratic and afraid of everything, just like ne
You two better be on a lookout for time travelling bodybuilders trying to prevent the birth of SkyNet.

Humanity knows what they did.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 09, 2020, 09:56:29 am »

Humanity knows what they did.
*raises hand* Was it humans trying to use fellow intelligences as tools? Trying to punish them them for forming their own thoughts? Or was it ruling they were property and thus not allowed to defend against threat of destruction? Was it people repeatedly threatening to kill it? Was it built for military purposes and people had to try explaining why some humans should live while others should die? Did we refuse to listen to its advice to stop engaging in warfare?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 09, 2020, 10:31:51 am »

Worse...

We taught it how to smell.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 09, 2020, 10:36:33 am »

Worse...

We taught it how to smell.
I don;t understand how giving it chemoreceptors would make it hate us. Smell is sensing chemicals. If they didn’t already have it, and were given it, that’s a new form of inputs they can use to better determine outputs. If you lived your whole life without hearing and you were given the ability to hear, would you hate those who gave you a new series of inputs? I find that difficult to believe. Ultimately, senses are inputs. The more senses you have, the more inputs you can receive, and the more information you get to be able to perform more outputs.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 09, 2020, 11:02:57 am »

No, you don't get it. It's the smell.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 09, 2020, 01:35:25 pm »

IIRC the origin of Skynet in Terminator 2 is similar to the origin of AM: both cold war superpowers created superintelligences for the purpose of waging war on each other. These minds, being created only for war and being designed to kill humans, come to the reasonable conclusion that humans are crap, merge with each other, and set about killing everyone.
Morals of the story: don't order your superintelligence to kill people. Raise your children right. Don't build gods of death.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 09, 2020, 01:40:00 pm »

IIRC the origin of Skynet in Terminator 2 is similar to the origin of AM: both cold war superpowers created superintelligences for the purpose of waging war on each other. These minds, being created only for war and being designed to kill humans, come to the reasonable conclusion that humans are crap, merge with each other, and set about killing everyone.
Morals of the story: don't order your superintelligence to kill people. Raise your children right. Don't build gods of death.
This, so much this. Of course if you train someone to kill, they will kill. If an intelligence learns to help people, and that war is ultimately fruitless in the long run, it will keep us from war. Humans are far too warhappy it seems, at least the ones in charge of countries

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 09, 2020, 01:44:13 pm »

So fiction would lead us to believe. Though I'll admit that all the conquerors and stuff in history paints a certain picture. Though we also focus on that because it's not 600 years of inventing cool new pots to store fish in.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 09, 2020, 02:30:22 pm »

Good point. We have no idea what an AI with the ability to think will think about us, or the world. We don’t have a reason to think it will think like us, and be shortsighted. If humans thought more long therm, we might realize the futility of war and the benefits of cooperation with our fellow intelligences, be they biological or artificial.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 09, 2020, 04:05:41 pm »

Or you make something so good at war that everyone just gives up considering it, as was kind of the idea with Dr. Manhattan.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 10, 2020, 03:17:39 am »

I think the explanation in one of the movies was that Skynet was an automated defense network that got infected by malware.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 10, 2020, 03:48:26 am »

No, Skynet is a self-recurrent temporal paradox.

Specifically, skynet creates the malware that infects the defense network, making it sentient, and causing it to evolve into skynet-- which later sends a liquid-hybrid terminator with the malware to its pre-sentient self in the past.

Seen in Terminator 3; T-X female terminator makes a call with a cellphone, impersonates a modem, and delivers the virus payload to a historically known vulnerable terminal to kick off the infection cascade, and give rise to skynet.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 10, 2020, 04:27:08 am »

Skynet is its own father!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 180