Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 181

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 220565 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #990 on: July 29, 2020, 06:29:10 am »

I remember when YouTube recommended me a video about Brainfuck...how was the new coding language generated? How does someone go about making a new coding language?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 29, 2020, 09:24:44 am »

I remember when YouTube recommended me a video about Brainfuck...how was the new coding language generated? How does someone go about making a new coding language?
This book might help.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 29, 2020, 09:35:44 am »

Thank you. I have a thought unrelated to the previous one:
I remember there’s a wiki where the stated goal was something like creating an interconnected universe using only wiki pages. Unfortunately I forgot the name, as well as the name of the person whose signature has a link to said wiki. I remember it has white text on a gray background with blue hyperlinks, there are 3-4 star systems currently. There are humans, reptile aliens, and creatures that make themselves by ?combining? attributes of other creatures, forgot what they’re called. I remember contents of the wiki but cannot remember the wiki’s name to get to it. I think someone here has a link to it on their signature.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 29, 2020, 09:38:38 am »

You design it and then you have to write a program (in a preexisting language) that either compiles NatureGirlC++ (or whatever) programs into appropriate "machine code" (the tiny low-level instructions that the CPU can execute directly) or interprets it and basically does whatever the appropriate action is line by line (not exactly line by line but you get the idea.) Interpreters are much easier to write than compilers because you don't have to know about all the little tiny details of machine code. However, a machine code program such as one produced by a compiler will run faster than a source program being run by an interpreter.

If you want to make a programming language, a good first step is, naturally, learning to program.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 29, 2020, 08:47:28 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:28:25 pm by dragdeler »
let

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 30, 2020, 11:07:28 pm »

I was thinking idly about Person of Interest and wondered how much threat data could be extracted from social media posts (as they are available to civilians) by some sort of scraper project. Premeditated crimes, probably not in most cases? Natural disasters, definitely. Diseases, possibly.

There is at least one deliberate threat/risk that often shows up in social media posts, which much common language (making it easier for a program to classify it): suicidal ideation.

Hmmmm.

This was all speculation. But in the long term, maybe eventually that could be a good use of my interest in programming. Y'all's thoughts on a hypothetical project like this?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 30, 2020, 11:12:29 pm »

It would help with suicide prevention, maybe when the program is in place, there could be an agency whose job it is to convince those thinking of suicide not to do so

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 01, 2020, 07:45:27 am »

As someone who has suicidal thoughts on a fairly regular basis, I can say that the idea of being dehumanized even further through constant monitoring by a bunch of disconnected pencil-pushers (or worse, a machine algorithm!) like some sort of lab project is not particularly encouraging and would probably lead to me clamming up even more about what's bothering me...

But that's just me. Anecdotal evidence and all that :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 01, 2020, 09:16:12 am »

Why don't we get the people who make reality TV to help out with the suicide prevention? They can monitor you and bring you into the diary room periodically, they can do a voice over in your house, keep you company etc.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 01, 2020, 01:38:48 pm »

As someone who has suicidal thoughts on a fairly regular basis, I can say that the idea of being dehumanized even further through constant monitoring by a bunch of disconnected pencil-pushers (or worse, a machine algorithm!) like some sort of lab project is not particularly encouraging and would probably lead to me clamming up even more about what's bothering me...

But that's just me. Anecdotal evidence and all that :P

Yeah, it's sort of an American solution. People aren't normal, so put them under tighter controls until they fit the norm. Which generally means people don't get the help they need, because they learn they're punished for being different. This is the goal, as it keeps costs down.

"We" have fairly successfully exported this method of problem "solving."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 01, 2020, 02:00:05 pm »

-

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 03, 2020, 12:49:34 pm »

If you put cardboard in a vacuum, and kept increasing the temperature, would you be able to melt it without burning it?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 03, 2020, 01:31:28 pm »

Pretty sure most of the molecules in cardboard will go straight from solid to gas at the relevant temperatures and pressured; I think you can only get carbon to liquefy at high pressure for instance.

It is kind of like making charcoal - if you heat wood in a low-oxygen environment, parts of it self-oxidize, parts offgas and you are left with almost just carbon.  If you keep heating it, I think the carbon just sublimates because the pressure is too low.

Yup: http://phycomp.technion.ac.il/~anastasy/teza/teza/node5.html - you have to be at least 100 bar (10-1 kbar) pressure to liquefy carbon; otherwise it will just go straight from solid to vapor.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:49:40 pm by McTraveller »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 03, 2020, 06:33:47 pm »

If you put cardboard in a vacuum, and kept increasing the temperature, would you be able to melt it without burning it?

I spent most of my days in Chemistry classes trying to figure this kind of thing out. Fun to think about.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 03, 2020, 06:48:42 pm »

It wouldn't really melt. When you heat up wood compounds in a vacuum it breaks apart into volatile compounds.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165237006000702
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:51:19 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 181