Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 181

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 220586 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2340 on: June 13, 2023, 11:27:16 am »

That api re-pricing for 3rd party apps to be able to launch requests on reddit servers seems to me an odd cause to fight for.
But anyways, a 2 days "let's go private then resume work as usual" sounds just as impactful as a fart in the ocean. If for them this re-pricing was so much important they should have gone down much longer if the goal was to push their users to reddit alternatives.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:29:38 am by Robsoie »

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 13, 2023, 01:33:15 pm »

It looks like there aren't any reddit alternatives available on the short term that could handle a really big flood of users. I think there may be a bigger blackout when the changes actually do pass, and anyways it at least raised a lot of awareness.
And while 90% of the userbase may remain on reddit's official apps forever, that 90% was never the important part at least for me. I just hope the migration doesn't head to discord, since it's really one big information black hole
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: June 13, 2023, 06:19:48 pm »

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Reddit admin decided to sack some ‘rogue mods’ and replace them with more compliant ones during or after this.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: June 13, 2023, 07:26:18 pm »

I like Discord as a chat app but it utterly sucks as an information repository because it's invisible to search engines.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 17, 2023, 01:54:09 pm »

The thing is, such a large social media platform doesn't falls that easily. Reddit will survive and be relatively okay, but lose substantial ground and monopoly. There will be competitors that freely allow 3rd party apps, after all.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: June 18, 2023, 03:44:45 am »

I still don't get how Reddit is so popular I find the interface on it a pain in the ass and I can never find anything on it.

Also looking at it on a phone is a pain, if I wanted their dumb ass app I would have downloaded it, stop bitching at me for not using it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 18, 2023, 07:40:44 am »

I still don't get how Reddit is so popular I find the interface on it a pain in the ass and I can never find anything on it.

Also looking at it on a phone is a pain, if I wanted their dumb ass app I would have downloaded it, stop bitching at me for not using it.
iirc it blew up at a time when its then-competitors like Digg (and traditional forums) were faltering, because for its time it had a better UI and features, and thus managed to claw out a near-monopoly, then kind of... coasted along once a critical mass of users was achieved. Then of course they got complacent and shot themselves in the foot, as social media companies are wont to do. Hubris is the main killer of such services.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 07:43:25 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 18, 2023, 08:28:56 am »

This seems to be why so many people use third-party apps to access it, which is the crux of the recent issue.

I like the Reddit model even though I haven't posted in years.  It seems to make decent communities (as long as they don't grow too large to moderate) about specific topics or places.  I'm the kind of casual user who uses the app and website, and just reads posts for troubleshooting and videogame advice.

*I* am monetized, like most casual users/lurkers.  Reddit seems to be attempting to monetize the content-creators who draw people like me to the site, which is a choice.  let's see how it works out for them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 18, 2023, 10:34:34 am »

The popularity of reddit comes from it being one of the biggest (in amount of users) forum system with subforum about any kind of discussion type and specifics subjects, so you're bound to find one with a subject/discussion that interest you. Also because it's popular it means there's a lot of informations and wiki that tons of people have contributed too.
And that's probably why the "blackout" backfired at some point because the mods that setup their subreddit to private in fact blocked those informations and wiki access to the users despite not owning any of that, they should just have made their board read-only instead.

Regarding the interface, old reddit is very usable (and fortunately still exist) , the problem comes from the new "mobile" interface they did a few years ago and set as the new default , and frankly that new UI is complete crap on PC.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 21, 2023, 07:07:38 pm »

I should compile a list with all games that came out as early access, when, and when they got their full release if they did by now... hell you make that thing exhaustive and up to date you have an actual reason to generate traffic and have a little admoney on the side.
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: June 24, 2023, 05:19:50 pm »

DF magma is 2170 kg/m3 based on comparison to water in filled minecarts.

Did this guy call me fat?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: June 24, 2023, 07:19:25 pm »

Well, muscle is denser than fat (and fat is less dense than water) so really calling you beefy.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: July 01, 2023, 09:10:26 pm »

Pondering on metamorphoses of player character in Sunless Sea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Zubmariner really went overboard in many ways.

In Sunless Skies those were replaced with collection of brain parasites. I believe PC can simultaneously have two with a brief intrusion of a third. Partially replaced,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 01:34:55 am by MCreeper »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: July 01, 2023, 11:14:06 pm »

out of context that sounds like some weird fetishy shit.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: July 02, 2023, 08:08:57 am »

Anything can be weird fetishy shit if you think about it, ya know!  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 181