Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179761 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1005 on: July 29, 2020, 12:22:46 am »

The other day I bought Hunt: Showdown on special from the Playstation store, and I have to say it is fantastic.   
Doesn't seem like the kind of game I would be remotely interested in at first glance, but I'm glad I gave it a closer look. Its interesting permadeath mechanic was what really caught my attention: you recruit randomly generated hunters to play as, leveling them up upon surviving a match, but once they die they die and you get just half of the XP you earned in their final mission.   

Kinda wish it had a "graveyard" or something - like a lot of permadeath games - where you could look back at all your fallen hunters, but I guess there probably wouldn't be too many folks interested in sifting through all that useless information.
Anyway, the gameplay/gunplay is great, the metagame is great, the atmosphere is great, I personally think it's just plain great. Also, there's still a decent playerbase - and crossplay between platforms, which probably helps.   

I also bought a game called Maneater where you play as a shark and presumably tear shit up, but I'm so hooked on Showdown that I am still yet to try it.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 29, 2020, 06:22:13 pm »

Replayed a flash game I used to enjoy called Road of The Dead 2 (It’s good except for the parts where the controls freeze up. Don’t know why that happens, but it does and it’s inconvenient for an action game.)
It's definitively one of the best action flash game i ever played (along with Sierra 7 ) . The sound atmosphere is just incredible.

But i found it very necessary to set the quality to low and disable the zombie "tint", as i guess the control freezing have a lot to do with the game being so heavy (especially from mid game with so much happening in the screen at once) that the flash player have difficulty to cope with it.

The first road of the dead is still very good.

edit : oh just got the control freeze, fortunately switching drivers fix it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:58:55 am by Robsoie »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 09, 2020, 04:06:08 am »

Well it's official. I absolutely loathe Final Fantasy 8.

I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan in general. Mostly I play 7 and 9 every so often when I get in the mood because I want to have finished them (never have so far). So I recently got 8 in a sale because I remember it from when I had it for PS1 (I was so in love with the edgy characters, being a tween or whatever myself at the time). I remember the furthest I ever got in it was a prison boss or something that I just couldn't beat. I didn't really understand any of the mechanics at the time. It was the same situation with the FF 7 and 9 games we owned, so when I got those for pc, the first thing I did was actually bother to learn how the abilities and materia worked in them. And for 7 and 9 they both were intuitive and easy to understand.

8 though. It's not that it's complicated in theory. I get it. But it's so fucking hassly to actually do anything with it with the UI. I hate it. And I am going to have to force my way that mire of triteness every time the party changes up and for every change of dungeon/area theme. I hate that there is no equipables progression. I hate that there's no way of knowing ahead what design your offences and defences around except looking in guides. I hate that you have so few ability slots that you can't even fit "use an item from the inventory" on there if you want to be effective (but you can't remove the useless "attack" command!). I hate the awful edgy characters ("Squall" -- what a stupid name -- really is like the most awful parts of Cloud except concentrated). I hate the stupid card game (and get anxiety from the thought of losing my good cards) and I hate that I need to play it for advancement and item collection.

I hate this game.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 09, 2020, 04:30:35 am »

FF8 is the game that killed the franchise for me.

It's all the reasons you mentioned (consumable spell uses? Having to farm up more casts of a spell? Whoever thought of that should be shot.)

The story was also the last nail in the coffin for me though. We go from this sweeping, peculiar but heartfelt story in FF7 to some shit about an evil witch and time travel and something something I've blocked it out.

I played FF9 and looked askance at it because of 8 and because it seemed to be a game made for kids.

I skipped FF10 because of everything I saw about it, memes and spheres and what not.

I played FF11 only because it was an MMO and I suppose it was alright for what it was trying to be.

FF12 seemed to be like an actual return to form and quality for Final Fantasy games but in the end it didn't grab me enough to stick with it. I still think about firing it up from time to time.

That was the last FF game I bothered to look at. But it all goes back to FF8, and the colossal waste of time it represented after the highs of FF7. That game pretty much irrevocably damaged my respect and interest in the entire franchise, to the point I could never play a FF game without doubting the choices that were made somewhere. Maybe I just grew up....but I'll never forget or forgive how bad FF8 felt to me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:41:21 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 09, 2020, 04:35:54 am »

Been playing a bunch of games lately, but I just started Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden.   
I played the demo a while back via Steam and kinda digged it, but it didn't run particularly well on my laptop. Not well enough to really warrant shelling out for the full version, at least. Recently, though, I learned that there is also a PS4 version - and, after having eyed that for a while, the other day I realised it was something like half-price in the Playstation store.   
I hesitated only briefly. I managed to restrain myself from grabbing the console version of the Mordheim videogame, which is apparently also a thing, as well.      

Pretty rad so far. I'm only slightly further than I got in the demo way back then, but it is so much smoother playing on console as opposed to my poor old laptop. Sure, you play as pre-made characters with their own personalities and dialogue as opposed to some kinda X-Com type deal, but I can stomach the occasional game with an actual story and shit from time to time, right? Though tbqh I'd rather be playing as the crazy, flesh-eating feral mutant types you come up against in the Zone, but that's just me.       
One thing I'm especially tickled by are the amusing descriptions of pre-apocalypse items and what their original purpose was, as divined by the most 'knowledeable' researchers of the Ark - who do as best they can, I suppose. I like it when post-apoc settings have little touches like that.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 09, 2020, 04:38:01 am »

My first actual foray into the FF series was Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube. Followed by Kingdom Hearts That was...a poor choice for entry. I was lucky enough to follow those up with FF Tactics Advance. This cemented an interest in the series, despite the entire premise of the game being that it isn't canonical. The first actual one I played was 4, in one of its many incarnations.

Struggled through 10, then bounced down to 8 followed by 7.

I went completely ass-backwards through the FF series, and boy, what a ride that was.

EDIT: Mutant's post-apoc look at items is like that albatross from The Little Mermaid and it's great.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 09, 2020, 05:43:53 am »

It's all the reasons you mentioned (consumable spell uses? Having to farm up more casts of a spell? Whoever thought of that should be shot.)

YES

How could I forget that part

The part where you literally have to spend the beginning of every fight doing nothing but suckling spells from the monstrous teets your are trying to defeat like a perverse monster hunter Oedipus

And the part where you don't get any limit breaks unless you're at like 10% health

And the part where they gave the ridiculous edgy main character a ridiculously edgy sword gun but then there's actually no point in using it because your attacks are mosquito bites

I played FF9 and looked askance at it because of 8 and because it seemed to be a game made for kids.

It definitely looks a lot more "childish" but I see it more a fresh, fairytalesque, naivoptimistc palette and visual design. The story itself isn't super heavy or anything but it's not less mature than jrpgs generally are either.

Been playing a bunch of games lately, but I just started Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden.   
I played the demo a while back via Steam and kinda digged it, but it didn't run particularly well on my laptop. Not well enough to really warrant shelling out for the full version, at least. Recently, though, I learned that there is also a PS4 version - and, after having eyed that for a while, the other day I realised it was something like half-price in the Playstation store.   
I hesitated only briefly. I managed to restrain myself from grabbing the console version of the Mordheim videogame, which is apparently also a thing, as well.      

Pretty rad so far. I'm only slightly further than I got in the demo way back then, but it is so much smoother playing on console as opposed to my poor old laptop. Sure, you play as pre-made characters with their own personalities and dialogue as opposed to some kinda X-Com type deal, but I can stomach the occasional game with an actual story and shit from time to time, right? Though tbqh I'd rather be playing as the crazy, flesh-eating feral mutant types you come up against in the Zone, but that's just me.       
One thing I'm especially tickled by are the amusing descriptions of pre-apocalypse items and what their original purpose was, as divined by the most 'knowledeable' researchers of the Ark - who do as best they can, I suppose. I like it when post-apoc settings have little touches like that.   

I had this on my to buy list myself  (it's based on the X-COM engine, right? It looks similar in the way Phantom Doctrine and Battletech do) but I was a bit dissuaded when I realised they weren't letting you create your own characters. It seems a bit counterintuitive to have a world full of silly animal people and then not have you able to make your own ducks.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 09, 2020, 11:08:49 am »

Well it's official. I absolutely loathe Final Fantasy 8.

I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan in general. Mostly I play 7 and 9 every so often when I get in the mood because I want to have finished them (never have so far). So I recently got 8 in a sale because I remember it from when I had it for PS1 (I was so in love with the edgy characters, being a tween or whatever myself at the time). I remember the furthest I ever got in it was a prison boss or something that I just couldn't beat. I didn't really understand any of the mechanics at the time. It was the same situation with the FF 7 and 9 games we owned, so when I got those for pc, the first thing I did was actually bother to learn how the abilities and materia worked in them. And for 7 and 9 they both were intuitive and easy to understand.

8 though. It's not that it's complicated in theory. I get it. But it's so fucking hassly to actually do anything with it with the UI. I hate it. And I am going to have to force my way that mire of triteness every time the party changes up and for every change of dungeon/area theme. I hate that there is no equipables progression. I hate that there's no way of knowing ahead what design your offences and defences around except looking in guides. I hate that you have so few ability slots that you can't even fit "use an item from the inventory" on there if you want to be effective (but you can't remove the useless "attack" command!). I hate the awful edgy characters ("Squall" -- what a stupid name -- really is like the most awful parts of Cloud except concentrated). I hate the stupid card game (and get anxiety from the thought of losing my good cards) and I hate that I need to play it for advancement and item collection.

I hate this game.

Having played the first ten games, and also the ones on gameboy, 8 and 10 are by far the worst. 9 was back to the early weird game that gets more serious as it goes style the first 6 had. Even 7, which tried too hard to be edgy, at least had a sometimes-fun world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 09, 2020, 11:10:47 am »

Cultist simulator. I got the perpetual edition yet never played it because it was obscure... and now that I have plenty of spare time in my hands... welñ, its not that obscure anymore and I'm hooked
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 09, 2020, 10:12:14 pm »

I had this on my to buy list myself  (it's based on the X-COM engine, right? It looks similar in the way Phantom Doctrine and Battletech do) but I was a bit dissuaded when I realised they weren't letting you create your own characters. It seems a bit counterintuitive to have a world full of silly animal people and then not have you able to make your own ducks.
Well, it's not really an X-Com-like, despite having similar combat.   
I was disappointed when I first realised there was no character creation, too, but it makes sense when you realise what type of game it is - one of those ones with (what appears to be) a deep story and voice-acted dialogue and stuff, probably even character development and all that, not one where you take over as commander of something and start throwing expendable grunts into the meatgrinder whilst cackling.   
Here you only have a couple characters or so on your team, at least as far as I've seen. A lot more stealth is involved.   

Too early to say whether the story this story-driven game is driven by is actually good at driving, but y'know, that's why it doesn't have you make your own characters. I guess. Remember when Fallout 4 added voice acting for the supposedly custom protagonist and it was awful? I'd rather follow the story with a character designed to fit it than be teased with making my own only for them to get railroaded into oblivion.   

...I think I kind of lost track of what I was trying to say there and started on a general rant against FO4, but. Hopefully you get the idea.   
I normally prefer creating my own characters but I can understand not getting that option if the devs are trying to tell an actual story.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 11, 2020, 04:00:28 pm »

Credit where it's due, Sims (4) is one of the best games to install, along with Skyrim and Minecraft. If you want to grab something by arse and brutally install it for three full days, it's the game to get. First, you must install thi bloated abomination of a game. Then, without even launching it, you go and download the mods. Basic mods, animation mods, outfit mods, hair mods, QOL mods, all the mods. Mod folder that weighs less than 1 GB is not even a beginning. It's not a Skyrim, so there won't be 5 layers of basic prerequsites that directly conflict with each other, but that's alright. When you are done installing mods, fiddle around with settings, some 10 minutes at worst. Then go in game and get your well deserved jerk-off or three.
   But then you realize: that shit - you don't want that shit. You want something decent! Now, you don't need to pile the mods to the sky, just a select few. Crawling trough piles of junk, things that you would choose but that just wouldn't work and links to a huge site that went out just two months ago, you find them. All perfect, except the colors. That should be simple to do, but revolting realization comes: EA are fuckwits, and not in the way you are. Knowing no reason, they removed color wheel from the game and all colors are now fixed. To do that simple task, you need to endure a gatekeepy guide, register on some forum and install three separate programs (don't forget the fourth - that bow looks a bit too small, aye?). The job is long and tedious, and in four hours GIMP's over-the-topness will make you give up on placing proper color on sandals. And when all that is done, you'll see that trying to twist sim's face into a likeness of anime-chan is inherently futile effort, and that no amount of mods and cheats can make sims have something resembling proper emotions instead of having them grimace and flail their arms around at slightest provocotions. Stop squirming, bitch.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Disturbingly enough, it seems like you can make a sim that is close enough to Weird-Akiha from anime. Too bad that relevant clothes happened to be in "went out" (spring4sims) and "refuse to work" piles. I did not expect a deficit of japanese schoolgirl uniforms, of all things.

EDIT: Now i see what they meant with "you can paint van Gogh's Starry Night on cats, but not have skin tone you want for humans".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:00:27 am by MCreeper »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 12, 2020, 04:33:39 am »

So I kept forcing my way through FFVIII, desperately trying to relive some of that childhood goodness.

And now I've found out that you're not supposed to level up your characters in this game.

Because of course the game fucks you over for grinding despite the fact that it's built around grinding.

I do not like this game.
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 12, 2020, 06:59:38 am »

In the RPG The Last Remnant - if you grind at all before the first boss, the level-matching of the game will increase its difficulty to the point that you will not be able to beat it. (beating the boss unlocks multiple units, for which the game is balanced at higher levels, the boss gets a "disable unit" move.)

It's aggressive enough that wasting time to enjoy the areas open to you and avoiding the boss a bit can put you into this unwinnable condition.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 12, 2020, 11:02:30 am »

And that's why level scaling mechanics are dumbbad.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 12, 2020, 11:54:28 am »

In the RPG The Last Remnant - if you grind at all before the first boss, the level-matching of the game will increase its difficulty to the point that you will not be able to beat it. (beating the boss unlocks multiple units, for which the game is balanced at higher levels, the boss gets a "disable unit" move.)

It's aggressive enough that wasting time to enjoy the areas open to you and avoiding the boss a bit can put you into this unwinnable condition.
I'm pretty sure there's a mod that makes the BR (Battle Rank) static instead of dynamic, but yeah, it's a really dumb system that probably should not have existed.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 100