Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116090 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #270 on: February 23, 2020, 07:50:31 pm »

Using a car to smash up some zombies and clear out the town is pretty useful.  The general idea is that the car is going to kill some of them, and the rest will be following the loud car.  So you leave town in one direction, then the other side of town should be safer.  Blasting the horn and stereo is optional/optimal.

Just don't kill yourself by running into anything.  Speed is important: Anything over 16mph and you don't have the reaction time necessary to avoid collisions.  Anything below 10mph and running over zombies will slow you down to a stop.  DON'T use this tactic if you're too weak to fight off a solitary zombie, as one will invariably jump onto the car and need to killed by yourself rather than your car.

Armor might be a good idea, as if the engine takes too much damage, the vehicle won't run.  Might be worth using Demolition Derby tactics, and drive backwards, if you can figure out the controls.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2020, 01:15:03 am »

All this talk made me play this again.  It used to be that you could escape pursuit by getting into a car seat and driving off, even if something followed you through the door, as it was treated as still standing on the ground. I tried that now, but the Mi-go just drove away with me and promptly ate my head.

And how the hell does scriver outrun Mi-gos? In my experience they're faster than any regular character, running or not.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2020, 01:39:14 am »

Mi go only move at 120 speed. Player characters can tread up to 200 running speed for a few turns before stamina loss really holds them back, and with traits can go even longer or faster. If you're significantly leg encumbered or hurt, your baseline speed will surely be much lower though.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2020, 06:49:17 am »

So I get that Pretty and the other negative ugliness mutations in it's line were changed to have positive visibility so they could be seen on NPCs, but isn't mutation visibility actually a separate factor for NPC reactions? Doesn't that change reduce/completely neutralize the effectiveness of those traits/mutations since most NPCs actually hate visible mutations?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2020, 07:26:55 am »

All this talk made me play this again.  It used to be that you could escape pursuit by getting into a car seat and driving off, even if something followed you through the door, as it was treated as still standing on the ground. I tried that now, but the Mi-go just drove away with me and promptly ate my head.

And how the hell does scriver outrun Mi-gos? In my experience they're faster than any regular character, running or not.

Unless I'm trying something special my default trait selection always includes Quick and Fleet-Footed, that might be related ;)
Love, scriver~

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2020, 07:36:35 am »

Hey guys, I found a Z-9. Should I stab it? I heard they have kevlar!

Also, I just realised knife spears are REALLY FLIMSY. Should I repair it? If so, how?
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

ViiK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2020, 07:51:23 am »

Hey guys, I found a Z-9. Should I stab it? I heard they have kevlar!

Also, I just realised knife spears are REALLY FLIMSY. Should I repair it? If so, how?
You can repair it with Misc Repair Kit that is easy to craft. Alternative you can disassemble it and assemble it again, but you will most likely loose strings from disassembling.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2020, 08:19:34 am »

So I get that Pretty and the other negative ugliness mutations in it's line were changed to have positive visibility so they could be seen on NPCs, but isn't mutation visibility actually a separate factor for NPC reactions? Doesn't that change reduce/completely neutralize the effectiveness of those traits/mutations since most NPCs actually hate visible mutations?
I've never noticed NPCs caring about mutations, because I can have full rat mutations and they don't seem to care about it, but that might have changed as my version is old as hell.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2020, 09:21:26 am »

I've never noticed NPCs caring about mutations, because I can have full rat mutations and they don't seem to care about it, but that might have changed as my version is old as hell.
I haven't met a randomly spawned NPC that didn't immediately attack or flee on sight with full rat or chimera mutations in the version I'm running, so something was probably changed with NPC tolerances at some point.

ViiK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2020, 09:26:04 am »

One other way for an easy early survival is to get a horse. If you find a bike, drive around and look for a ranch or a small farm. Those are guaranteed to have animals in them and they are good shelters. You are likely to find a tack for the horse and some kattle food. Feed horse with it and it will follow you around.
Without armor, the horse is easy to kill, so while riding, you have to use at least a spear to keep distance from zombies. Later you can craft armor for it, chittin armor turns it into pretty much a tank invulnerable to regular zombies. Super important to have a long rope with you to tie a horse, because when you have to dismount and you don’t tie horse it can get scared and run away living you with a bunch of z nearby.
The only zombies that can run faster than horse are pouncers and hunters (not sure about predators), but you should be able to get some distance from a horde and finish those guys with a spear. Some zombies like Kevlar zombie can knock you off the horse, it’s super important to get back onto it as fast as possible before it runs away.
Later you can instal a livestock carrier into your car and transport horse safely, otherwise it will be running around your car and might even jump off diagonally if scared.
The biggest downside is that there is a limit of how heavy you can be when getting on the horse, it’s about 35kg on top of your own weight.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:39:44 am by ViiK »

ViiK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2020, 12:09:57 pm »

When it comes to cleaning cities, the easiest way so far, from my experience is to mount couple of machineguns on the vehicle. A single military road block can give you about 10 belts of ammunition. Each belt is 500 rounds of 5.56x45 ammunition. Single burst of mounted M249 is 4 rounds, one burst is typically enough to kill one Z or even a couple if you are lucky. So you can kill about a 50 zombies by using just a single belt.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2020, 04:09:09 pm »

When it comes to cleaning cities, the easiest way so far, from my experience is to mount couple of machineguns on the vehicle. A single military road block can give you about 10 belts of ammunition. Each belt is 500 rounds of 5.56x45 ammunition. Single burst of mounted M249 is 4 rounds, one burst is typically enough to kill one Z or even a couple if you are lucky. So you can kill about a 50 zombies by using just a single belt.

Just make sure the turret is disabled/destroyed...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2020, 10:54:12 pm »

Arcana update, self-PR for feedback here: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/116

And a bug I found. Rather, a bug I discovered months ago, told Korg about, and confirmed while testing this branch that it's still present as of at least yesterday: learning spells from NPCs, more specifically lessons in spells you already know, still doesn't work. Even at 10 spellcraft, 12 intelligence, etc the experience gain is generally less than 10, usually less than the amount you'd obtain from a single failed cast of that spell.

Hence, NPCs in Arcana don't yet make full use of the feature. The hermit gains a few spells and they'll be available for learning as mission rewards (at least that way the player won't be screwed over bartering away valuables for a single point of experience, only wasting time), while the major figures at the rural church don't yet have access to the spell roster they've been granted.

However, the sanguine shrike NPC, if successfully recruited, can and will cheat the player out of valuables if you've already learned the spells they have available.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2020, 02:57:05 pm »

However, the sanguine shrike NPC, if successfully recruited, can and will cheat the player out of valuables if you've already learned the spells they have available.

That sounds like its working as intended!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 57