Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421488 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1230 on: March 18, 2020, 02:10:07 pm »

I live in the countryside. So at least I'm able to go out for runs and walks. And I've been catching up on my reading list. Honestly it was a big blow to me at the start, cutting off all my social activities. But I sometimes find it relaxing, and I'm writing a lot more and learning theory. So that's all fun. And my offer of a funded doctorate at least offers me a firm future for the next few years.

To clarify, I don't have it. I just really, really don't want it.

Oh, and there's always something to do on the farm. For instance, Roberta, a 16 year old cow-who-was-mainly-a-pet got very, very sick with a fever, so we were going to her pen daily to turn her over. (She died yesterday though).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:12:40 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 18, 2020, 02:18:31 pm »

I'm still going to work, going out for lunch. Most fast food restaurants are doing carry out only at this point, but several others are going to remain open until instructed to close.

We're only at 19 confirmed cases as of right now. That's almost double from Friday of last week. So it seems so far we're doing ok here, but I don't know the story behind testing kits and what not. Town is certainly taking the social distancing fairly seriously though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 18, 2020, 02:24:27 pm »

Also still at work and eating takeout in my car, though I have almost nothing to do and the hammer could fall any day now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 18, 2020, 02:28:30 pm »

I'm generally a non-social recluse by nature, so my adventure in self-isolation feels more natural than going into work every day did. Working from home.

(That said, I suppose I'll see if this response ages well in the weeks to come.)

Metro ridership (our DC-area public transit) numbers are down 80% compared to last year, so I guess people are taking things relatively seriously here. Nature of my job means working from home is quite easy, which I appreciate is quite a luxury to have.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 18, 2020, 02:33:09 pm »

Work continues until the end of the week because the state still needs their damn sales taxes
Lots of local businesses are shuttered/on hiatus for the time being so there's noticeably less people wandering the streets.
A good 80% of the people I see out and about are wearing surgical masks, with the occasional N95. Some scalper goons trying to sell individual masks on the streets
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 18, 2020, 02:37:26 pm »

Going to work this morning was creepily desolate, though this was the first day it was like that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:49 pm »

I think its that you need lockdowns because otherwise people wont socially isolate. Even with the lockdown, even with the pandemic, some people try to dodge the rules and do their own thing.

People are really, really stupid and selfish yes

The number of people who came back home sick and infected hundreds before anyone figured out the sick person was sick says that's probably the problem.

I hope our governments don't spend all their funds on compensating company losses, but invest in majorly expanding disease control capacity as well.

Hope it works elsewhere, the US has made it clear which people matter here.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 18, 2020, 03:19:16 pm »

I wonder what effect all this effort to fight the coronavirus will have on other diseases.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 18, 2020, 03:21:14 pm »

I think its that you need lockdowns because otherwise people wont socially isolate. Even with the lockdown, even with the pandemic, some people try to dodge the rules and do their own thing.

People are really, really stupid and selfish yes

The number of people who came back home sick and infected hundreds before anyone figured out the sick person was sick says that's probably the problem.
I mean the main problem is that many people dont even figure they're sick and they spread the disease.
This would be less of a problem if people were aware of this and didnt ignore the recommendations because they felt fine

I wonder what effect all this effort to fight the coronavirus will have on other diseases.
I have second hand info about a major hospital in Madrid: organ transplants, oncological surgery... all cancelled.
Some of those people will die. We wont see those deaths as covid deaths. Doesnt matter one iota if you're one or the other
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:24:58 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 18, 2020, 03:49:43 pm »

Netflix will likely be forced to lower it's video quality because the internets are overloading.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 18, 2020, 03:52:05 pm »

I have second hand info about a major hospital in Madrid: organ transplants, oncological surgery... all cancelled.
Some of those people will die. We wont see those deaths as covid deaths. Doesnt matter one iota if you're one or the other
I know the US they were talking about cancelling the huge number of elective surgeries - I didn't know places were considering (or implementing) cancelling any kind of emergency / critical surgery.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 18, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »

I know the US they were talking about cancelling the huge number of elective surgeries - I didn't know places were considering (or implementing) cancelling any kind of emergency / critical surgery.

Italy run out of ventilators, patients that were old or with complications were not fully treated in at least some hospitals.
---

“We recognize based on current data that our local Covid-19 trajectory is likely to be similar to that of Northern Italy,” read an email one hospital in the Seattle area sent to its surgeons.

"Alison Krupnick had surgery scheduled to remove early stage cervical cancer, but because of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, her surgery was being postponed indefinitely to keep hospital beds open" (...) "Dr. Simmonds said slow-growing cancers, like prostate and cervical cancer, were more likely to be delayed. "

"An older person who has a total hip replacement may need to recuperate at a skilled nursing center — institutions that have been hit hard by the coronavirus. “As you can imagine, in this time, that’s probably not the best thing for that patient,”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/coronavirus-covid-surgeries-canceled.html

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:15:43 pm by mko »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 18, 2020, 04:32:20 pm »

"Alison Krupnick had surgery scheduled to remove early stage cervical cancer, but because of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, her surgery was being postponed indefinitely to keep hospital beds open" (...) "Dr. Simmonds said slow-growing cancers, like prostate and cervical cancer, were more likely to be delayed. "

Great, I'm taking my mom to the hospital tomorrow for Uteran Cancer. With our numbers being low here still so far, maybe they won't delay her. But that's like, the last thing she needs to hear, that she's going to have to wait to remove her stage 1 cancer which will inevitably become stage 2 and on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 18, 2020, 05:10:44 pm »

I guess coming in for treatment now would be better than in a week or two. You might be fine now, but down the line, things are likely to get worse and it would be more likely for treatments to be cancelled. Best wishes for you and your mother.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 18, 2020, 05:19:39 pm »

Great, I'm taking my mom to the hospital tomorrow for Uteran Cancer. With our numbers being low here still so far, maybe they won't delay her. But that's like, the last thing she needs to hear, that she's going to have to wait to remove her stage 1 cancer which will inevitably become stage 2 and on.
Talk it through with the team
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 459