Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421441 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1530 on: March 23, 2020, 05:11:17 pm »

hmmm is now a bad time to mention that not only am i not getting laid off, im getting paid hazard pay starting today then?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 23, 2020, 05:20:58 pm »

Nice. I'm getting a 10% bonus backdated to earlier in the month. Not that I'm taking any overtime.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 23, 2020, 06:14:48 pm »

South Korea didn't have full lockdown.

Bars, cafes, restaurants all stayed open.
People did all wear facemasks though, so perhaps they are more important than our government has been telling us.
Or maybe not, because the other thing SK did was test everyone and trace and test all the contacts of those infected using phone records, CCTV images and public transport card records, and when infected, quaratined those.
Which is something we can't, because, no tests available.
Yeah, SK has managed as well as they have by going hardcore panopticon, super aggro on testing, and locking down people who turned up positive. So they've actually been fairly confident they're keeping track of things and keeping the virus under control. If you legitimately have those sorts of conditions, full lockdown isn't as necessary.

Meanwhile, you have the United 'I'm not responsible, also what's this testing thing' States or the United 'herd immunity lol' Kingdom, or all the other places... not... doing things like SK did. Basically they're bleeding out, so now you tourniquet and hope they live long enough a doctor can do something about it :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1533 on: March 23, 2020, 07:30:03 pm »

South Korea didn't have full lockdown.

Bars, cafes, restaurants all stayed open.
People did all wear facemasks though, so perhaps they are more important than our government has been telling us.
Or maybe not, because the other thing SK did was test everyone and trace and test all the contacts of those infected using phone records, CCTV images and public transport card records, and when infected, quaratined those.
Which is something we can't, because, no tests available.
Yeah, SK has managed as well as they have by going hardcore panopticon, super aggro on testing, and locking down people who turned up positive. So they've actually been fairly confident they're keeping track of things and keeping the virus under control. If you legitimately have those sorts of conditions, full lockdown isn't as necessary.

Meanwhile, you have the United 'I'm not responsible, also what's this testing thing' States or the United 'herd immunity lol' Kingdom, or all the other places... not... doing things like SK did. Basically they're bleeding out, so now you tourniquet and hope they live long enough a doctor can do something about it :-\
Pretty much this.

I'm kind of lucky to be living in the state of Rio de Janeiro, because uh... it and a few other states are the only ones doing anything about it, and RJ is the one going down harder on the disease. For instance: it's now almost impossible to leave a city (except by walking, I guess - though the geography hampers that) unless you can convince the cops you got a damn good reason to.

Meanwhile... the president is mocking the disease as "a little flu" and saying that the media is sensationalizing it. Oh, and also he shat out a decree that for 4 months will suspend the hard-won worker right of having your contract terminated for no reason.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 23, 2020, 07:51:39 pm »

I was reading about the 1918 glu and now I have another bout of terror
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 23, 2020, 09:06:43 pm »

Wisconsin is doing a weird shelter-where-you-are type thing starting tomorrow. All non-essential businesses should close, evidently my wife and I work in essential jobs though so no worry so far on the money front.

I got a letter from my work just in case I get pulled over though, which is amusing considering how entirely unessential I am.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 23, 2020, 09:09:28 pm »

Things are quiet here.  Most students have gone home.  The ones staying will be moved and consolidated to a single dorm and pretty much everything on-campus is closed, but restaurants are still open for carry-out and delivery.  The seating in all of them is blocked off, though.

I need a haircut, but I guess I won't be getting one for a while.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 23, 2020, 09:33:55 pm »

Im honestly glad to hear they wont force the kiddos to leave campus.  Sometimes you dont have a place to return to, you know?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 23, 2020, 09:50:34 pm »

I have begun audibly holding my breath as covid hits Syria (and Turkey, Iraq).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 23, 2020, 10:40:22 pm »

Wisconsin is doing a weird shelter-where-you-are type thing starting tomorrow. All non-essential businesses should close, evidently my wife and I work in essential jobs though so no worry so far on the money front.

Oh hey, fellow Wisconsinite. My family still lives there, so I've been glad to hear that the state is taking it pretty seriously. The top half of the state should be fine - not enough population density to really risk much spreading.

I do wonder how people in the cities will handle it. A missed paycheck or two would have put me out in the streets when I lived there.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:56 pm »

I have begun audibly holding my breath as covid hits Syria (and Turkey, Iraq).
Don't forget brazil/south america and africa, home of millions of immunocompromised folks. And russia. Australia. Look, the shit's just flat global at this point, it's everywhere.

But haha yeah Syria's probably fucked, what was it like three ICU beds in the country or something thanks to fighting blowing up hospitals? Crow plague likely gonna' reap real hard there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 24, 2020, 02:09:37 am »

Turkey restricts people older than 65 from going out while Tayyip Erdogan is 66 years old...

Situation in Syria and African is likely not good.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 24, 2020, 04:01:55 am »

The Dutch government imposed further restrictions yesterday evening.
All gatherings and events, regardless of size, are forbidden until the 1st of June (instead of 6 april).
It is illegal to come together in public with more than 3 people.
This does not include children, children are still allowed to group up and play football.
Non-compliance will lead to a 400 euro fine for private persons, or 4000 euros for companies.
Furthermore it is advised not to let more than 3 visitors into your house.
The latter will not be enforced, what people do in their own homes is their private business.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 24, 2020, 04:09:11 am »

The Dutch government imposed further restrictions yesterday evening.
All gatherings and events, regardless of size, are forbidden until the 1st of June (instead of 6 april).
It is illegal to come together in public with more than 3 people.
This does not include children, children are still allowed to group up and play football.
Non-compliance will lead to a 400 euro fine for private persons, or 4000 euros for companies.
Furthermore it is advised not to let more than 3 visitors into your house.
The latter will not be enforced, what people do in their own homes is their private business.

TBH I think gatherings, festivities and meetings will be off for the foreseeable future. Things are not going to be normal after this.

In other news:
It seems Italy might finally over the curve
Number of daily dead coming down for the last few days. I think the reason they tightened the restrictions was so that people didn't relax when they noticed the trend. Supposedly we're supposed to follow them by a week, and indeed our own guesstimate is for around the 30th. We'll see
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:14:12 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 24, 2020, 04:42:43 am »

Ohio and Texas cancel abortion rights.
They deem abortion to be an unnescessary strain on the taxed healthcare system.
Doctors that continue with abortions can get fined, or sent to jail for 180 days.

So far, abortion clinics refuse to comply and stay open.

EDIT: Our government just cancelled this year's high school exams.
All students whose grades so far are sufficient are given a free pass to start their intermediate vocational education / higher vocational education / university when the new school year starts.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:55:50 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 459