Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423837 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1920 on: March 31, 2020, 02:34:56 pm »

The surviving 101 year old was in the Netherlands:
https://www.nu.nl/coronavirus/6041676/101-jarige-coronapatient-hersteld-en-ontslagen-uit-ijsselland-ziekenhuis.html
Or that is a second 101 year old. Apparently she coughed in her elbow, told everyone to obey social distancing rules, and was a great patient, according to the doctors.
I however also read a report today that a 12 year old in Belgium died because of covid-19.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:47:00 pm by Bralbaard »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 31, 2020, 03:34:29 pm »

I'm not too surprised. We already know that the majority of people who get it survive. Even in high risk groups. Just look at the Italian numbers

The problem is the sheer numbers of people it infects.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 31, 2020, 03:44:49 pm »

Are there lasting respiratory issues?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 31, 2020, 04:07:42 pm »

Permanent lesions on the lungs and liver have been reported, but to how common that is, I couldn't say.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 31, 2020, 04:08:42 pm »

Are there lasting respiratory issues?
've read reports that some people do lose lung capacity. Seemed to happen mostly on severe cases (I'm guessing the SARS guys who actually require ICU).  Havent seen a lot of news about that though.  Tbh the biggest thing I've seen was a report about 12 patients in France
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 31, 2020, 04:14:59 pm »

Latest number I heard was ~20-25% of ICU patients have permanent respiratory damage.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 31, 2020, 04:24:47 pm »

For what it's worth, covid or not intubation and whatnot apparently tends to be pretty rough on the body. Dunno if anyone's checked to see if the rates on that front are unusual for respiratory cases that requires ICU intervention, basically. It may not be particularly out of line for just "normal" cases of severe respiratory distress.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 31, 2020, 04:34:35 pm »

Latest number I heard was ~20-25% of ICU patients have permanent respiratory damage.
3 out of 12 patients. So it kind of fits more or less.

For what it's worth, covid or not intubation and whatnot apparently tends to be pretty rough on the body. Dunno if anyone's checked to see if the rates on that front are unusual for respiratory cases that requires ICU intervention, basically. It may not be particularly out of line for just "normal" cases of severe respiratory distress.

Could be. I've not chased that data yet TBH.

My own experience with respiratory distress is heavily biased, as when my patients ended up with a tube for respiratory distress they are invariably heavily immunocompromised (either due to their condition or due to treatment) and the disease is opportunistic in nature. And they either recovered their immune function quickly (if at all possible)  or they invariably died pretty quickly.  TBH for the most part the ones that I recall that recovered weren't that severely immunocompromised, and didn't require actual intubation, but did fine with either NIMV or high flow oxygen.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 31, 2020, 05:08:30 pm »

The commander of the US nuclear aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt has sent an SOS message to the US minister of Defense.
The corona virus is spreading uncontrollably amongst the crew members.  He asks for immediate assistence to help quarantine the crew.
More than hundred crew members are infected.
According to commander Brett Crozier, the situation is dire.
'the spread of the disease is ongoing and accelerating', says Crozier, referring to the 'inherent space limitations' on the ship.
'We are not at war.  Sailors don't need to die", Crozier wrote in a letter published by San Francisco Chronicle.
The marine vessel is currently docked in Guam.  The Commander wants to put the entire crew in quarantine on the island.
The ship's previous port dock was in Vietnam, where some crew members already tested positive for the virus.
According to the commander, 'extensive precautions' were taken when the crew reboarded the vessel.
This is the first time the coronavirus has affected a US navy vessel at sea.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 31, 2020, 05:35:15 pm »

Wait, is that the second or third carrier the crow plague's put out of action? Pretty sure there was already two, just not sure if that's one of the two or another one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 31, 2020, 05:44:03 pm »

I never would have expected that the crumbling of the US empire would happen so directly.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 31, 2020, 06:36:09 pm »

Wait, is that the second or third carrier the crow plague's put out of action? Pretty sure there was already two, just not sure if that's one of the two or another one.
Reported as first one

There are, like, 4? 5? So it's a pretty big deal

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 31, 2020, 07:06:49 pm »

Reported as first one

There are, like, 4? 5? So it's a pretty big deal
Eleven CV are currently in service in the USN.

That said, the military's pretty fucking harsh on "No you WILL obey" so quarantine will likely be pretty easily enforced.

Or if it's marines, you bribe them with crayons.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 31, 2020, 07:14:46 pm »

Quarantine on a ship at sea is impossible, flat out. If the indulgent cabins of the cruise liners couldn't do it, then sailors stacked like firewood are getting infected for sure.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 31, 2020, 07:31:20 pm »

Which is why the commander wants all the crew off the ship, and in quarantine on Guam.
I wonder how US military command feels about leaving one of their main naval assets unmanned though.
I suppose new crew will need to be flown in fast..  How many people work on such a vessel? Several hundred? More than 1000?
Sounds like a logistical nightmare, and then there's the issue of decontamination to prevent the new crew from getting infected.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:33:03 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 459