Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423939 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2085 on: April 04, 2020, 03:38:54 pm »

I have internet for the next 3.5 hours! Hooray!

My wife's boss finally confirmed she totally had Covid, and totally refused to tell anyone and then after a few days quarantined herself at home.

As a result there are now 3 cases at my wife's work. Her duties there are 100% essential to keep those elderly folks alive even on a normal basis, so i'm feeling like it's sort of inevitable that she or me or even our little guy will come down with it eventually. She's taking extreme precautions at work and whatnot, but still.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: April 04, 2020, 03:39:32 pm »

We could totally add a custom syndrome that spreads from mere contact with an otherwise harmless but always breathed out vapor.  Custom emissions that were added several versions ago could totally do it.

The only issue is that the world simulation is too ... chunky.. to do it properly right now.

As for why the fed would want its own private stockpile of supplies---

DUH--- the powerful want to lock out the Mask of the Red Death. dont you guys read classic literature?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:42:55 pm by wierd »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: April 04, 2020, 03:40:28 pm »

Hey guys I had a stupid thought.

I mean I kind of commented on it tongue in cheek in the midly upset thread.

But... what about dwarf fortress as a model for epidemic spreading???
Toady should really look into this you know..
Nah.
The use World of Warcraft instead
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: April 04, 2020, 04:01:38 pm »

Nah.
The use World of Warcraft instead
Fascinating!  I'm amazed that Blizzard had to resort to a reset rather than merely removing the effect from all entities.  Seems like that should have been easy with an hour of offline maintenance on the databases, and very preferable.  I know it was 2005 but how bad were their tools??  This lasted a week!
One trait was particularly enlightening: curiosity, something epidemiologists did not generally build into their models. Some players attempted to enter infected areas to witness the chaos, then rush out before contracting the disease themselves. This behavior has real-world parallels, particularly in the case of journalists, who must rush towards a problem to cover it, then rush back out.
Eerily relateable.  A week before my city officially announced the stay-at-home order, I went to the grocery store a couple of times primarily to see how people were reacting.  I was getting a lot of panicky misinformation through my housemate, so it was actually reassuring to see the stocked shelves and... unfortunately large crowds.  That was before we had a confirmed case though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: April 04, 2020, 05:00:02 pm »

But... what about dwarf fortress as a model for epidemic spreading???
Toady should really look into this you know..

We already have better models for epidemics, in the sense that they include more salient features and fewer irrelevant ones (and so run much more efficiently.) What we don't have is the data required to set them up in maximally predictive ways.

Then again, there is some value in having something anyone can do to "contribute to the solution" just so they don't feel useless, and playing DF would at least keep people at home.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: April 04, 2020, 05:13:49 pm »

I hope the same.

The way things are going international markets are not reliable anymore. Countries are outright stealing each other's orders.
This here article is in pt-br, but the USA has jacked equipment meant for Brazil, France and Germany.

Combined with the federal government in the US stealing shipments intended for individual states, to be kept for federal uses. And Jared Kushner has stated that states may not use anything from the federal stockpile.
This doesn't make sense, states are already receiving supplies from the federal stockpile.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: April 04, 2020, 05:55:23 pm »

Fascinating!  I'm amazed that Blizzard had to resort to a reset rather than merely removing the effect from all entities.  Seems like that should have been easy with an hour of offline maintenance on the databases, and very preferable.  I know it was 2005 but how bad were their tools??
Less useful than FluffOS (a MUDlib, so a spiritual parent of whatever-Blizzard-wrote even if they started from scratch) or really anything with a foreach()ish loop and the ability to derecurse object code, apparently.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: April 04, 2020, 06:28:38 pm »

So Wisconsin’s motto for this safer at home initiative that nobody apparently gives a shit about (at least where I live) is flatten the curve oh it’s actually keep calm and flatten the curve, because what everyone needs in times of crisis is years-old memes.

Because nobody really cares about it (‘cause it has no teeth and the Dem governor isn’t going to do anything beyond lip service as a result of the Republican controlled legislature) the curve is in fact getting steeper, which is cool and all, but I don’t particularly want to get sick, so yay idiots thinking they’re safe because there’s only a handful of confirmed cases outside of Milwaukee and Madison.

Steeper and steeper, yo.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: April 04, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »

I hope the same.

The way things are going international markets are not reliable anymore. Countries are outright stealing each other's orders.
This here article is in pt-br, but the USA has jacked equipment meant for Brazil, France and Germany.

Combined with the federal government in the US stealing shipments intended for individual states, to be kept for federal uses. And Jared Kushner has stated that states may not use anything from the federal stockpile.
This doesn't make sense, states are already receiving supplies from the federal stockpile.

*Some* states have. It's a political thing. Unlike most politicians, he does it out in the open where everyone can see and prove it, if they wanted to.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: April 04, 2020, 06:51:55 pm »

He's a horrible fucking human being trying to hurt people he wants to hurt. Same as trump. It's not justifiable by anything anyone reasonable would consider ethical, just corrupt and cruel.

But in our modern world, cruelty is rarely for cruelty's sake. Nowadays villains just do it for the benjamins like some kind of pathetic sellouts. Where'd the romance in it go?

I was just wondering whether there was a self-promoting motive behind it or Mr. Jar Jar is just the ultra-rare, nearly-extinct comic-book villain type.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:57:46 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: April 04, 2020, 07:37:20 pm »

Steeper and steeper, yo.
Spoiler: Could be worse... (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: April 04, 2020, 09:16:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basic reproduction number is FINALLY dropping.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: April 04, 2020, 09:33:52 pm »

Didn't see this brought up but in case anybody was wondering about stuff like some of the suggestions to wear even a homemade mask because what could it do if the virus can't be stopped without very fine filtration capabilities, so why bother right?

Well, were I going out in public I'd do a t-shirt ninja or something for a simple yet obvious reason in hindsight: seeing someone wearing a mask is a cue that they're taking it seriously, reinforcing the social information transfer the last or next time you see someone in a mask, and making you more likely to take it seriously and do things like wear a mask which reminds others.

It also helps prevent touching your face, and has a fairly low but real % chance of preventing stuff you breathe out from spreading as far.

I may not automatically notice these sorts of cues and respond accordingly, but it seems important to point out as an assburger so you folks with the normal social software running can help share/reinforce said memetic infection because it isn't going to kill anyone while we've still got people acting like this isn't a big deal as the (far lower than the real total) number of known deaths will go full Vegeta tonight.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: April 04, 2020, 09:38:44 pm »

Okay, I think I figured out why the federal government may be trying to hoard supplies. Found a link to a press conference where people mention that the feds are buying masks then giving them/selling them (unclear) to private distributors who then sell to the highest bidder. (Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1245841458323771393)

There's also this alleged story about Massachusetts having N95 mask orders seized by the federal government: https://imgur.com/gallery/993zhsv
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:55 pm »

Didn't see this brought up but in case anybody was wondering about stuff like some of the suggestions to wear even a homemade mask because what could it do if the virus can't be stopped without very fine filtration capabilities, so why bother right?

Well, were I going out in public I'd do a t-shirt ninja or something for a simple yet obvious reason in hindsight: seeing someone wearing a mask is a cue that they're taking it seriously, reinforcing the social information transfer the last or next time you see someone in a mask, and making you more likely to take it seriously and do things like wear a mask which reminds others.

It also helps prevent touching your face, and has a fairly low but real % chance of preventing stuff you breathe out from spreading as far.

It's not even that low, either to prevent you from breating shit out or from breathing shit in

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

All of them will prevent major droplets from hitting you. And, as you can see even a cotton T shirt will filter a % of a viral particle aerosol. This matters a lot . Even if you end up breathing in a quantity of virus, making it a lower dose will make it less likely than you'll get infected. And possibly will make the infection less severe too.

This shit about it "not really protecting"... it's a saving throw by our goverments to try to explain the bullshit reasons they gave in the last few weeks for not recommending masks (as opposed to the REAL reason... that there is a shortage and they wanted to stock up).

Consider, if it was true that surgical masks  (or DIY masks for that matter) didn't help... why would medical staff wear them in hospitals when N95s were unavaiable?  And why were they used so commonly during seasonal flu to deal with influenza positive patients? If they did nothing
No, both facts and common sense suggest that ANY sort of mask is better than NO mask. And I think it's good pedagogy for the population to explain that it's not only a civic duty (reducing the odds of infecting other people if you are unwittingly COVID19+), but also their own protection (reducing the odds of being infected yourself if you aren't). Both functions are true. And I think people will be more mindful of being responsible if they're reminded of this.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 459