Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421448 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2700 on: April 26, 2020, 12:06:09 pm »

We weren't expecting a second peak until fall. I'm guessing we'll end up with many peaks, and many thousands of unnecessary deaths. Even the survivors aren't exactly happy about it (I had a coworker tell me he spent a lot of time wishing it would kill him just so it was over). It's not something you want to catch, so maybe try being careful?
Yeah you'd expect people to realize that but you see in Spain we have a lot of very smart people who realized that if they're the only ones to flaunt the rules, they'll be OK, because they can rely on us morons staying at home to flatten the curve.

(/s in case it wasn't obvious)

Well, luckily for us all that the selfish attitude you mention is a Spain-only attitude, and that the rest of the world isn't suffering the same.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 26, 2020, 10:15:39 pm »

Pppphhhtt!
Hahahaha

We are still having the "Reopen!" idiots chanting their dumbfuckery.

If we have multiple peaks, our era is going to go down in history as "the pandemic that people just were too damn narcissistic to take seriously."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 26, 2020, 10:18:08 pm »

It's gonna be wild if we just straight up lose an entire year of human activity to covid.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 26, 2020, 11:30:48 pm »

"If we have multiple peaks" you say?

The first glimmer of hope that lockdowns and distancing were working I've seen was when only 1100 people died yesterday: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/#nav-yesterday (that is for the 26th if you're reading this later, and whoever you are, future reader, we're sorry about our dumbfuckery) but oh boy, protests and premature opening means whatever lull we may be entering now is gonna get really exciting in a week or two!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 27, 2020, 02:18:48 am »

The goverment announced yesterday that since people were clearly too moronic to stay safe out of self preservation they'll send the police ro go wild with fines again.

And regional govts announced they'll close parks and any other space where people might gather
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 27, 2020, 03:20:39 am »

It's gonna be wild economically disastrous if we just straight up lose an entire year of human activity to covid  as if the UN's prediction that the economic effects of covid-19 costing 130 million lives worldwide wasn't bad enough. .

Fixed
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2706 on: April 27, 2020, 07:33:07 am »

Everybody knows real patriots just cut out the middleman and throw their Grandparents and asthmatic relatives into a wood-chipper. Oh won't somebody think of the money!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 27, 2020, 07:44:40 am »

My city/region has been doing quite well for itself lately! For being in one of the most covid-affected provinces in Norway, we've managed to bring down the new infection count to just 5 confirmed cases over the last week.

Unfortunately, this positive trend -combined with official regulations starting to lighten up on various businesses and gatherings and whatnot- seems to be almost certainly contributing to a new surge of people giving zero fucks about all this corona nonsense, since it's all done and over with now anyways!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 27, 2020, 09:34:19 am »

I'm keeping an eye on NZ. Reportedly down to effectively zero new cases (single figures for each the last few days, and a single new case yesterday - but Weekend Effect might have influenced that) without just refusing to test (ostriches bury their heads in the sand, but not kiwis) they seem to be doing quite well.

I know it's not a populuous country, discounting sheep and hobbits, and is slightly on the remote side but it seems quite well organised in its response compared to practically every other place of note (and definitely in whichever opposite hemisphere you care to define). Maybe we can learn from how they unlock back up again, though it might help that they aren't in a horrible position with mad people currently still doing mad things. Except for sheep and hobbit-related mad things, naturally.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2709 on: April 27, 2020, 10:07:40 am »

I find it weird that lots of nations took the narrative of "This is war" and "isolation orders must be obeyed". That kind of wording is practically inviting people to have the immediate emotional response of wanting to flout them. The instinctive response for lots of people to someone telling you to obey* is to tell them to got fuck themselves, and to be honest that's what I think a correct response to someone using that kind of language should be under most circumstances**.

* excluding certain forms of consensual activities.
** again, except when leather and chains are involved.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 27, 2020, 10:08:47 am »

Ostriches actually don’t bury their heads in the sand, the myth started when people saw them moving eggs around in their nests, but not seeing that they were moving eggs.

It is unfortunate that people are starting to think the virus is gone just because there are no new infections. People who have it still have it. Countries can open up if no one has it anymore, not just if there aren’t new cases

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 27, 2020, 10:41:51 am »

I find it weird that lots of nations took the narrative of "This is war" and "isolation orders must be obeyed". That kind of wording is practically inviting people to have the immediate emotional response of wanting to flout them. The instinctive response for lots of people to someone telling you to obey* is to tell them to got fuck themselves, and to be honest that's what I think a correct response to someone using that kind of language should be under most circumstances**.

* excluding certain forms of consensual activities.
** again, except when leather and chains are involved.
People who have that instinctive response should habe the shit fined out of them. Pithy pleas about freedom(tm) kind of fail in the face of warehouses full of coffins. We've seen it in Italy, Spain and NYC. Noone has any excuse anymore.

Really, a #covidiot tax is a good solution to address healthcare funding during this pandemic
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:43:31 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2712 on: April 27, 2020, 11:03:25 am »

I'm not talking about the rules, I'm talking about the expression of them by political. If someone tells me "obey and suck it up" many people, myself included, will immediately wanna tell them to fuck off to be honest I think that is rightly so. There's a reason I could never be military.

If someone explains to me, the reasoning and rational, and invites me to work together with them using my available means and skills then that's a different story. That's an approach that works. The rules and requirements don't have to change for that to be so. You still bring those in place. I understand the why of the measures, and I support them being introduced because of that. But lots of political leaders failed horribly at taking that approach and I think that just makes things even worse by pushing people away from those rules in the first place.

Again, you compare it to New Zealand where there was none of that "this is war so obey me" talk from their Prime Minister and they're one of the most successful countries in combating it. There's other factors there, 'tis true, but like talking to people in terms of 'obedience' just seems like you either don't respect the intelligence of your populace at all to be able to follow along with the basic logic of the problem (which people don't much appreciate), or actually *want* people to 'disobey' through some bizarre nihilism and are utilizing reverse psychology.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:15:36 am by MorleyDev »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: April 27, 2020, 11:17:17 am »

That's fair. It's fair to treat you as an individual deserving of the benefit of the doubt. That would be a trust system. But the problem is that someone always fucks up trust systems. It's not that we don't want trust/honor systems, it's that there are jerks who do need to be slapped around the face before they'll cooperate and do what they need to do. And any group response needs to take that into account, so naturally there will be a level of "comply with the common sense stuff or you will be bitchslapped". It doesn't matter if only say 3% of people are complete knobheads, it only takes that many to fuck it up for everyone. It's for their sake that the "consequences" exist. I've had enough drama dealing with fuckwits in my own life which I've largely averted by learning to refuse to deal with most people, and definitely not make my stuff dependent on their stuff. However, I can wash my hands of responsibility for the fuckwits by merely avoiding them. I have empathy for public officials trying to get something done and knowing they can't just avoid the fuckwits altogether. Yeah, so "explain it to you rationally so that you can rationally agree to the restrictions" is bullshit. That assumes that everyone acts on good faith, which is clearly an irrational belief.

EDIT: however I did read some of the preceding posts and realized you might mean more of the rhetoric than the actions. However I disagree on that. Where leaders took strong stances, there has generally been better compliance with less pushback. Note that the USA was all over the place with Trump's stuff and they're having the worst protests against the restrictions. It's not because those state leaders actually insulted the "freedom" of the people through their words, it's because they're being politically agitated to riot.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:29:03 am by Reelya »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2714 on: April 27, 2020, 11:28:34 am »

Except again, New Zealand used that kind of terminology. The rules brought in don't change, but the attitude expressed from the top looked very "we're all in this together" rather than "thou shalt do as we say".

Again, I'm not talking about the practical actions I'm talking about the language being used by many politicians, which I think contributed to making the problem worse by encouraging an instinctive negative reaction to those practical steps.

You're always going to get idiots who flout the rules, you want to minimize the number of them and the way the rules are expressed and explains plays a significant part in that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:30:14 am by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 459