Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423763 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The president of the Chechen republic has been infected with corona.  He has been flown to Moscow and admitted to hospital.

President Ramzan Kadyrov is known for his hard handed approaches, including with the current corona crisis.
He called doctors that complained about lack of protective gear 'provokers', and called people that do not quarantaine themselves 'terrorists that should be killed and buried in ditches'.
It is unknown how serious the condition of the 43 year old president is.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The president of the Chechen republic has been infected with corona.  He has been flown to Moscow and admitted to hospital.

President Ramzan Kadyrov is known for his hard handed approaches, including with the current corona crisis.
He called doctors that complained about lack of protective gear 'provokers', and called people that do not quarantaine themselves 'terrorists that should be killed and buried in ditches'.

Didn't the Chechens kind of humiliate Putin when they won independence? And they also have the opposing view of how to deal with CORVID? I'm guessing his case is very severe, and mutates into a version that kills you in ways that require your body to be disposed over before an autopsy.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

I thought there was a bit of a bromance between Putin and Kadyrov.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Didn't the Chechens kind of humiliate Putin when they won independence? And they also have the opposing view of how to deal with CORVID? I'm guessing his case is very severe, and mutates into a version that kills you in ways that require your body to be disposed over before an autopsy.
Chechens lost the war. That guy is Putin's stooge. IIRC they installed a fairly brutal regional goverment
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Chechan thing is how Putin catapulted himself to the presidency as well. I saw a documentary which was about how there were terrorist attacks against civilian buildings in Russia, and this is the thing Putin used as the justification of war against Chechnya. Now, the thing is, some FSB (successor to the KGB) agents were caught red-handed planting bombs in the basement of an apartment building, and Putin was previously the director of the FSB and an ex-KGB guy. So Putin was murdering Russians in false-flag operations then blaming the Chechnyan rebels for the whole thing, as a way to hand-craft his own 9/11 moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_apartment_bombings

A suspicious device resembling those used in the bombings was found and defused in an apartment block in the Russian city of Ryazan on 22 September. The next day, Vladimir Putin praised the vigilance of the inhabitants of Ryazan and ordered the air bombing of Grozny, which marked the beginning of the Second Chechen War. Three FSB agents who had planted the devices at Ryazan were arrested by the local police. On 24 September 1999, head of FSB Nikolay Patrushev announced that the incident in Ryazan had been an anti-terror drill and the device found there contained only sugar.

Which is way fishy. Why would you do an anti-terror drill of this sort in an occupied apartment building, where there are clearly no shortage of run down and vacant buildings in Russia of all places? Secondly, if it was a drill and was only sugar, then why would Putin bomb Grozny in response? Surely he would have known they weren't real bombs. The most likely explanation is that the FSB was behind the string of bombings, to build up public agitation, but when their guys got caught planting one, they moved up their plans and immediately bombed Chechnya to distract people from the discovery.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:08:32 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chechens lost the war. That guy is Putin's stooge. IIRC they installed a fairly brutal regional goverment

Huh. I remember them taking out guard stations all over the country, and surprisingly effective guerilla warfare, then someone preventing Russia from invading and killing everyone, then I got busy with school and it fell off my radar. Did I just imagine it ending?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Huh. I remember them taking out guard stations all over the country, and surprisingly effective guerilla warfare, then someone preventing Russia from invading and killing everyone, then I got busy with school and it fell off my radar. Did I just imagine it ending?
You missed the real ending
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechen%E2%80%93Russian_conflict

Basically they killed the moderate leader  who was keeping the coalition together and everything fell to pieces

The most recent conflict between Chechen and the Russian government took place in the 1990s. As the Soviet Union disintegrated, the Chechen separatists declared independence in 1991. By late 1994 the First Chechen War broke out and after two years of fighting the Russian forces withdrew from the region. In 1999, the fighting restarted and in the next year the Russian security forces established control over Chechnya, with insurgency continuing for over a decade afterwards.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As reported before, the UK government has been fast and loose in test numbers.

(Buried in the midst of https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000htw2 and https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j949 are the details, assuming you want to listen to them.)

Not combining antigen/antibody tests, IIRC, but still misrepresenting the numbers of to justify 'meeting' their rather hopeful targets.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

A bunch of folk are treating as if Coronavirus just isn't a thing anymore. Party time at the beach/park/pool!

We'll see how effective this is soon enough
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

A bunch of folk are treating as if Coronavirus just isn't a thing anymore. Party time at the beach/park/pool!

We'll see how effective this is soon enough
Hey on the plus side, in the US at least, that 1.7M confirmed cases number of infected, with a population of 330M, means fewer than 8 doublings are required to infect everyone.  So if we can get our doubling rate back up to 4 days, we can get everyone infected in a month, and then one month after that everyone will have died or recovered, and we'll be all set!

Sarcasm aside, I'm not sure what to make of the ratio of confirmed cases to tests.  Isn't the more relevant stat simply confirmed cases per population?  Since any person that is a negative test may, at some future point, become infected?

Are there any sites that are reporting number of people with confirmed antibodies, or is that included in the "confirmed cases" numbers?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Confirmed to tests... positivity rate, right? Iirc the import of that one is basically a measure of if you're testing enough (and consequently have the information you need to mitigate spread and fatality). The higher it is, the less you're (probably) testing people with minor or nonexistent symptoms, so the less you have any fucking idea how much the plague that's very much capable of spreading through a/pre-symptomatic or minor symptomatic carriers is nailing your population.

It's basically a measure of how badly the country in question is fucking up, broadly speaking. Higher means you're fucking up worse, somewhere in the 2% or lower range means you might just have enough information to keep things more or less under control, if you're not doing something staggeringly stupid in regards to your testing practices.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:51:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

https://www.theroot.com/how-to-write-about-a-vaccine-1843712565

Article regarding modern day hesitancy to take the COVID vaccine, and how America's racist history plays into it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Assuming the worst case scenario, doing 15 million tests and finding 1.7 million infections is terrifying because it would mean we actually have that sort of ratio of infections/total population.

The good news, of a sort, is that what it really means is that we're testing way too many people who obviously are infected.

That downside of that good news is those numbers are then useless for getting an accurate sense of how far it has spread through the population.

Test everybody, 330 million~ people, find 1.7 million cases, you found everyone and it's under control by definition.
Test 1 in 10, 33 million~ people, find 1.7 million cases, assuming you randomly sampled the population you would want to assume you have 17 million cases floating around, worst case scenario, it's in no way close to controlled.
Test 1 in 20, 16.5 million~ people, find 1.7 million cases, again assuming randomly sampled scenario with no weighting, there might be 34 million cases, which is pretty fucking bad, but we can't even make that sort of guess because we're weighting the testing towards those with obvious symptoms, and these results would only be useful if we were actually being proactive and doing contact tracing to determine possible infections and spread, but we aren't doing that so it's like quickly turning the lights off in a dance club and taking a flash photo of the people around you so you can try to figure out what song is playing.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

US deaths from COVID-19 have just now (by the official count, at least) passed 100,000.  This is far higher than any other country, but it is lower than many countries per capita.

Here's a comparison to illustrate the difference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 459