Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421427 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Son of the Mask edition
« Reply #5700 on: August 04, 2021, 02:36:51 pm »

State and local vaccine mandates are in the pipeline
Surely nothing can go wrong
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: August 04, 2021, 02:58:29 pm »

'ere we go again......just now in a post Jan. 6th environment.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: August 04, 2021, 03:00:28 pm »

'ere we go again......just now in a post Jan. 6th environment.
oh goodness no, not again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: August 04, 2021, 03:34:59 pm »

It's about damn time.

668 Covid deaths in the US yesterday.  Their blood (well, choking gasping death) is on the hands of every cynical manipulator that has pushed anti-vax lies.

And the common people, the victims who are too busy to fully investigate this stuff?  Who got manipulated?  They have my sympathy.

Those who then find the fervor and energy to riot over this rather than over real problems that actually exit... they lose that sympathy.  Maybe they need an object lesson in police brutality to give them some perspective.  Not that the police will actually do their jobs - being a plague vector is a Trumpist/right-wing ideal, so I'm looking forward to some capitol-police tier handling of the situation.

What a shitty cause to riot over... but here we go.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5704 on: August 06, 2021, 05:29:17 am »

It's not just the deaths, but also the people whose quality of life is going to be axed for a year or two... Assuming no chronic long-term damage. Turns out that all the strange symptoms of long-Covid may be the result of autoimmune responses

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: August 06, 2021, 09:27:08 am »

It's not just the deaths, but also the people whose quality of life is going to be axed for a year or two... Assuming no chronic long-term damage. Turns out that all the strange symptoms of long-Covid may be the result of autoimmune responses

Isn't that what was expected based on how corona viruses normally work?

I know CDC/WHO said it wouldn't happen, and also that it's impossible for a virus to have airborne spread, and also that children are immune, but their jobs are to keep people calm no matter the cost in human lives and long-term health.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: August 06, 2021, 09:44:04 am »

Well I just had my first Covidiot experience. Was buying beer at the grocery store for the lake tomorrow, while masked, and this dude bro in huge sunglasses and all Under Armor wear slides over and goes "You know you don't really need that. Also it looks kinda retarded."

NGL, I was a little stunned. Nebraska is by and large a polite state that lives by "Mind your own fucking business" sometimes to a fault. So he walked away after I didn't say anything, then I added, loud enough to be heard through my mask "Thanks for the advice I didn't ask you for." Ended up standing right behind him at the register and he's doing everything he can not to look my way. Clerk clearly saw something was up and had the look of someone who is wondering if they'll need to call the cops.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:21:49 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: August 06, 2021, 09:58:19 am »

Years before all this I used to to wear masks whenever I had a flu, out of respect for everyone else at job and so. People would look at me funny or ask if I was sick of something grave or serious. I sometimes took the time to explain why and that ie in other countries people are used to do it and most the time the answer was "you are not in another country, you are in Venezuela". My head went wtf I'm wearing a discomfort thing over my face specifically to not make you sick and all you care is you don't find it normal????

Mankind is a huge Darwin award waiting to happen.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: August 06, 2021, 11:18:51 am »

Yes itīs extremly sad how hard this seems to understand.

The freedom of one person ends where that of another begins.

Also social inertia. People sure as shit prefer to act out of habit than activate their consciousness, even for short bursts. I see it everyday at my job. The box is right next to where I put it usually, like adjacent, like litterally touching eachother? "Was full so I put in front".... You mean you lifted it past the sign that is calling you out, instead of throwing one glance around you? I swear there are so many domains where people feel entitled act out of sheer automatisms, that donīt even need to make sense on a surface level. Out of sight out of mind. I honestly do not understand how there isnīt car crashes every 20 seconds when I see how inattentive the crowd is.
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: August 06, 2021, 11:19:36 am »

I'd have left the shop
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: August 06, 2021, 06:41:21 pm »

My brother's gf is a lovely, bouncy, friendly gal. She's also a nurse. Anyway the family went with her to a waterpark, I was in her car most of the day and she obviously had the flu or something. She said it wasn't covid, and I figured a nurse would know/not say that without having had a test.
The next day she and I went out for breakfast and afterwards went to her house. She decides to take a covid test because she'll be going to work that night. It's positive (subsequent, more rigorous tests also positive).

Yay? It's been a few days since, and I'm constantly second-guessing my own health  ???

Doesn't help I've had no vaccine I guess.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: August 06, 2021, 07:02:18 pm »

I'd have left the shop
Is that a variation of Elvis left the building?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5712 on: August 08, 2021, 04:32:25 am »

My brother's gf is a lovely, bouncy, friendly gal. She's also a nurse. Anyway the family went with her to a waterpark, I was in her car most of the day and she obviously had the flu or something. She said it wasn't covid, and I figured a nurse would know/not say that without having had a test.
The next day she and I went out for breakfast and afterwards went to her house. She decides to take a covid test because she'll be going to work that night. It's positive (subsequent, more rigorous tests also positive).

Yay? It's been a few days since, and I'm constantly second-guessing my own health  ???

Doesn't help I've had no vaccine I guess.
Sucks dude. Doctors & nurses are pretty terrible with this stuff because their frame of reference is much more extreme than the general populace. I work with lots of respiratory staff and they wear it as a badge of pride that they've caught most of all God's most virulent of lung diseases already, and it took a very long time to convince them Covid-19 was serious because it didn't leave them keeling over in blood. As the old adage goes, medics make the worst patients. Keep yourself tested & fortified with chicken soup and satsumas, if you've got an oxygen probe or oximeter that's a good one to check every now and then when you're at resting state (below 90% oxygen is a pretty reliable indicator you're suffering from something, below 80% you call an ambulance). Seems kinda obvious but if you're sprinting or working out like crazy and you get low oxygen it's no problem, but if you're just lying in bed and it's dropping there's something wrong. If you've got the coof then it's gonna hit you a week or so after, so even if you have it you should be fine for now.
There's also a fair good chance that you might not have contracted the Covid. I once managed to get away with sharing an office with a positive staff member the whole day with no ventilation and masks off every tea break, but somehow didn't contract it despite being exposed to it. I'll pray you share in my blessings there

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: August 11, 2021, 04:39:26 am »

I'm getting second thoughts about facemasks. I am sure they do indeed help contain the spread of the virus.

BUT THEY ARE BECOMING A MAYOR ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE. THAT NON BIODEGRADABLE SHITE IS EVERYWHERE NOW.

In other words, people, please. Throw away your used facemasks in a garbage bin, not on the street or in the canal. Thanks.

Literally billions of these things are dumped into nature every single day now.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:45:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: August 11, 2021, 05:08:58 am »

Them, and everything else.

Humans are just plain shit at being ecologically friendly. (Especially city humans. I have waxed philosophical before about city people dumping their trash on rural people before. Basically, the less direct the connection to something somebody has, the fewer fucks they give about it.  City people tend to have little to no direct connection to natural environments, and thus, give zero fucks, by and large.  If there is a source of inconvenience, they can give less than zero fucks, and have negative fucks given-- eg, act with vendetta. You can see this right now with the angry anti-mask folks.)
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 459