Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421476 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Son of the Mask edition
« Reply #5850 on: September 10, 2021, 03:19:03 am »

Could be a hoax. Someone on twitter did some digging: https://twitter.com/troonpilled/status/1436001194627960835

Source is definitely biased, but the info dug up is enough to be suspicious of the one who reported it.

Evidence wasn't preserved, but the authorities have CCTV footage, so I guess we'll find out one way or another.
I'll say there might be something to that debunk, fair enough and all credit. I have seen more credible and actual versions of this boobytrapping going on (historically, and not the one linked to also in that thread) so I know it's a 'thing', with copycats and/or false-flag copycats probably already waiting for their own pro-/anti-issue actions. It already looked like a substandard attack attempt (questionable wound notwithstanding) that might do more harm as inspiration for more competant implementations.

Tell you what, though: some of the commentators in that debunk-thread (seizing gleefully at the debunk) would be ripe contenders for a hide-and-ignore list, if I had one to maintain, as too far down their own misguided rabbithole. I had a good and comprehensive read through[1] and there are three key objections to the story, yet it is taken as "It's all a lie, everything, black is white and white is black" (by some) quite irrationally.

Not sure it's created any deluded "you're all just deluded!" people, but the worst thing is that it's bolstered those with that tendency to them already. (Also not too happy with wishing (theoretical) harm back, @dd, I have to say.) I'll retract things for now, but no apologies for railing against passively idiotic people, and there ate plenty who have done more for their cause.

[1] Not had a good shufti at any haterful Presidential tweet-tree for a while, and I was perhaps slightly missing the feeling of braincells dying in the process. But never let it be said that I stick entirely to my own choice of echochamber.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: September 10, 2021, 12:36:15 pm »

This shit makes me mad: don't wish harm onto harmful people even if they don't exist. I don't think it's highminded but cowardly. I'd rather burn and crash right here right now than answer the inevitable "where were you?" with "it was complicated but at least I didn't do anything rash". Nuance ain't shit if people explicitly do not want to understand.
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: September 10, 2021, 12:57:13 pm »

Denmark has declared Covid no longer a threat, a 'normal disease like all others', and has withdrawn all corona restrictions.
They explain their new stance by saying that the level of vaccinated people is high enough to warrant this (83% of all Danes of age 12 and older have been vaccinated).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: September 10, 2021, 01:25:39 pm »

Denmark has declared Covid no longer a threat, a 'normal disease like all others', and has withdrawn all corona restrictions.
They explain their new stance by saying that the level of vaccinated people is high enough to warrant this (83% of all Danes of age 12 and older have been vaccinated).

This... Worries me tbh. Denmark why. It's not like it stops at the borders.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: September 10, 2021, 02:19:28 pm »

This shit makes me mad: don't wish harm onto harmful people even if they don't exist. I don't think it's highminded but cowardly. I'd rather burn and crash right here right now than answer the inevitable "where were you?" with "it was complicated but at least I didn't do anything rash". Nuance ain't shit if people explicitly do not want to understand.
Hear hear.  I listened to a good debate about this recently.  Yeah, those hard-working and terrified people who are taken in by vaccine conspiracy theories deserve our sympathy (that was the debate question).  But those who are profiting off these conspiracies, knowing that they're lying, are literal murderers and need to be stopped.  I don't support the death penalty, period, but they have blood on their hands and we can't let them keep getting people killed. 

I know it's hard to prove that someone is lying instead of just stupid, but I have 0 sympathy for any rich person promoting this shit.  With all that leisure time, they have no excuse.  (I maybe have a little sympathy for the My Pillow guy because he seems like a true believer, and is burning his fortune rather than profiting)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: September 10, 2021, 02:52:20 pm »

I think they're saying that "Pacifism above all else" is shit that makes us mad.  I don't want to kill or harm these murderers, but it's not moral for me to sit on my hands and let them get away with it.  They need to be stopped by state force (which carries an implication of violence) in order to save lives.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: September 10, 2021, 03:31:37 pm »

Actually I used to call myself a pacifist. Never instigated a real fight. Worst it ever got was close friends feeling a little too comfortable physically picking on me "for fun" finding themselves on the ground or within a lockhold fairly suddenly. I don't think I ever punched anybody with a closed fist in my whole life, not that I remember at least.

My first reflex is to flinch and duck away into the shadows at the prospect of a real fight. I'm particularly averse to seeing head trauma. I don't even believe violence is a valid pedagogic tool. And the spiral of violence is futile and there is allways somebody with a bigger gun and yadda yadda. However I do believe some adults should be reminded that violence is real and can manifest at any moment, and they would be well served to stay in their lane and/or think about the consequences of their actions, because a permanent disability or death is more real than the thin veil of civilisation or settlement payments or any kind of moral highground.
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: September 10, 2021, 07:49:39 pm »

Holy shit, even Biden is pushing some measures to care about COVID finally, and he was telling people only to vote in person in the primaries.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: October 06, 2021, 02:21:31 pm »

The Swedish Works of Healing Means announced today that they're stopping the use of the Moderna vaccine for people below age 30 because of the prevalence of consequent health issues that I've already forgotten the names of and will have to look up and edit in. [Edit] Inflammation of the heart muscle and inflammation of the heart sack [/edit]

They wanted to mark that it's not a major issue but still enpugh to be takem into account, since these people could be given the other vaccines instead.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 02:25:11 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: October 06, 2021, 03:57:30 pm »

The Swedish Works of Healing Means announced today that they're stopping the use of the Moderna vaccine for people below age 30 because of the prevalence of consequent health issues that I've already forgotten the names of and will have to look up and edit in. [Edit] Inflammation of the heart muscle and inflammation of the heart sack [/edit]

They wanted to mark that it's not a major issue but still enpugh to be takem into account, since these people could be given the other vaccines instead.

Hold on, they stopped using the Moderna vaccine because of the article about myocarditis that turned out to be WRONG?  ???
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: October 06, 2021, 04:11:55 pm »

What even is the Swedish Works of Healing Means? Google pulls up nothing, as near as I can tell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: October 06, 2021, 04:51:44 pm »

At a guess (and not finding any other group, with just the barest Googling/Wikipedianing) it might be the Folkhälsomyndigheten, which seems to be "Public Health Agency of Sweden" in a more considered translation.

I could be wrong, but I could see a garden-path literal translation landing on Agency->Means and Public->Works. Though (by eye, pulling into my native English rather than pushing out of a native Svenska) it looks more like "People's Health Agency [,The]" (and being Swedish is implicit).
Spoiler: Linguistic geekout (click to show/hide)

Anyway, even my first guess, prior to my amateur etymological efforts, is a stretch. (The first English news references by the few news agencies to have Swedish+Moderna articles just talk about the "Swedish health agency", or similar.) Could be a lesser/subordinate/tighter-scoped body that is the Means one.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 04:54:50 pm by Starver »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: October 06, 2021, 10:20:13 pm »

Hold on, they stopped using the Moderna vaccine because of the article about myocarditis that turned out to be WRONG?  ???

No they made the decision based on a Nordic study.

But probably an untimely excess of caution that will generate significant harm when miscontrued in anti-vaxxer circles.  So fair enough with the wtf-ing.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: October 07, 2021, 02:48:25 am »

I obtained the second shot yesterday.

Also I talked to some family friends a few days ago then found out that the day after I talked to them one of them had tested positive for Covid and today the other also tested positive, which is bad for them since they're both older and for my people since I've been around them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: October 07, 2021, 04:00:14 am »

The antivaxx nonsense will ultimately result in a very protracted series of problems for the right.

Multiple initial studies have linked actual covid infection with both male and female infertility, as the ACE2 receptor (which is the receptor the virus uses to enter a cell) is heavily expressed in human gonad tissue, and it does basically what it does to lungs, in your reproductive bits.

It is not yet known if childhood infections can cause lasting reproductive harm later in life.  Research is on-going, and data likely wont be available on that until cohort studies are conducted much later in the future.

Regardless, this nonsense about refusing to vaccinate, or to vaccinate their children?

It's gonna cause a lot of problems for the Right in the coming decades.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 459