Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119202 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2022, 05:58:26 pm »

I'm not saying the Western media is perfect, but it's a totally different flavour.

I recently tried watching clips of some Russian TV show and the first thing that came into my mind was the game show from the dystopian 80's movie The Running Man.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2022, 06:23:45 pm »

Posting this here because it's not strictly 'news', more a series of well researched and presented essays/presentations of a number very relevant topics relating to the war.

Especially important (IMO at least) videos are two latest ones on the actual economics of the ongoing conflict and just how potentially fucked Russia is if it doesn't end this quickly enough (and even if they do, the damage is done, if not immediately apparent and obvious) and the question of the leadership possibly understanding this and being driven to some potentially desperate actions.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2022, 09:10:08 pm »

The Russian satanist demonfuckers declared that the missile strikes at Kyiv during the visit of UN chief Gutteres (which hit civilian buildings and killed another journalist) were 'precise and accurate'.
Guterres and the rest of the world are not amused, not to say, outraged.

Let's hope this will lead to the UN disbanding the UN security council to open the way to a global UN peacekeeping mission against Russia without veto from Russia or China.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 09:14:08 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2022, 10:58:31 pm »

The Russian public is fed (or kept from being fed) a very select diet of news.

I'm not sure you can blame them, there's been a mass Pavlovian indoctrination imposed upon them since the Glorious Days Of Soviet Empire, and any let up has been slammed back in their faces as part of the attempt to reconstitute the "Good Old Days".

I'm not saying the Western media is perfect, but it's a totally different flavour.

I don't think that what they see in the news is the key to this. It should change how they react to the war not explain the lack of reaction.

For example, on Russian youtube trends, you can see a very usual set of videos. The first war-related video is #32.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:08 am »

The Russian public is fed (or kept from being fed) a very select diet of news.

I'm not sure you can blame them, there's been a mass Pavlovian indoctrination imposed upon them since the Glorious Days Of Soviet Empire, and any let up has been slammed back in their faces as part of the attempt to reconstitute the "Good Old Days".

I don't think that what they see in the news is the key to this. It should change how they react to the war not explain the lack of reaction.

For example, on Russian youtube trends, you can see a very usual set of videos. The first war-related video is #32.
Much of the brainwashing is downplaying or denying the effects of the war.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2022, 01:55:09 am »

Quote from: Buisness today article
The World Bank has forecast Russia's 2022 GDP output will fall by 11.2% due to Western sanctions imposed on Russia's banks, state-owned enterprises and other institutions.
I've seen some people say here that if Ukraine loses, this proves the toothlessness of the west and that it means that other aggressive countries with nukes and a big army (aka, only China) will take it to mean they can invade their neighbors (aka, Taiwan) with impunity.

With regards to China specifically, I think its the exact opposite. The response of the West has proven that unless China is willing to risk 15% of its GDP and its political and social place in the modern world invading Taiwan is not a risk they can take.

Now, obviously, the situations are different. China's place in the world economy is FAR larger than Russia's, Taiwan would go down in like a day if there was an actual invasion (and thus wouldn't be there to lobby the west for sanctions, or be able to stay in the news cycle), and their economic/political sphere of control means that many nations would side with them.

I can't see the west dropping the same level of sanctions they did against Russia against China. But even if the sanctions are only a fraction of the strength and they "just" result in China's economy not growing that year (an effective loss of ~5%) that would still have the potential to cause massive problems in China, and is very much not a risk I could see their leadership ever accepting barring some really extreme circumstances.

Even the risk of the US declaring a major trade war (eg. no companies are allowed to import from China or make anything there) with the rest of the West just watching and doing nothing would be a major enough loss that I can't see the Chinese government taking such a risk.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2022, 02:31:43 am »

Taiwan would go down in like a day if there was an actual invasion

You underestimate how hard amphibious landings are. Also, I doubt that China wants to capture many piles of rubble (something Russians are willing to do) and this means an actual, honest, urban, door-to-door fighting.

Also, unlike Ukraine, Taiwan has modern airforce and SAMs

If Taiwan is willing to resist, this won't be a quick war.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2022, 03:11:50 am »

Hot damn, loads of Oligarchs and oil technicians are getting suicided with their families in Russia

They all have the hallmarks of suspicious deaths; a murder weapon with no finger prints, no motive to commit murder suicide, signs of struggle before death, all happening in a short time frame with people whose one common link is they deal with money that has Putin's prints on them

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2022, 05:43:12 am »

You underestimate how hard amphibious landings are. Also, I doubt that China wants to capture many piles of rubble (something Russians are willing to do) and this means an actual, honest, urban, door-to-door fighting.

Fair enough, I didn't do my research on how powerful the Taiwainese military actually was.

But it doesn't really change my core point about how even if China wins the conflict fairly trivially it would probably still come with economic costs they wouldn't be willing to stomach, and thus they won't directly invade now or at any point in the foreseeable future.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2022, 11:07:19 am »

Yeah I was going to say.

Taiwan is an urban, mountainous island nation with a strong military. Even the military giant of China couldn't take it in a day. Taiwan would have enough time to seek international help, and Chinese war crimes that would undoubtedly happen would surface far more easily. It has a good potential to be China's Ukraine, and Xi is smart and cautious so he won't invade.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2022, 01:29:36 pm »

Someone leaked a worrying Transnistrian newspaper dated May 2 2022 with an article about Ukrainian terrorist attacks on May 1. Of course, it can be a total fake but...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2022, 02:10:01 pm »

Hot damn, loads of Oligarchs and oil technicians are getting suicided with their families in Russia

That's some true evil shit, holy hell. Now I want to know what these guys did to deserve that.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2022, 03:06:39 pm »

Taiwan, unlike Ukraine, also usually has US military in-country who are there specifically to get killed in any Chinese attack. Because killing US troops is a really good way to get the US to intervene directly, and thus tripwire forces of that nature are a potent deterrent.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2022, 03:31:41 pm »

No, it isn't photoshopped

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2022, 03:37:16 pm »

There's something wrong with their swastikas.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 167