Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118582 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #660 on: July 04, 2022, 09:15:49 am »

To be fair central Asia has always been a cup perched perilously on the edge of a table
Russia is currently in the ~I'm a neko uWu phase.
owo Nato please don't bully uwu~~ rawr pounces on crimea from across azov sea

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 04, 2022, 10:48:47 am »

To be fair central Asia has always been a cup perched perilously on the edge of a table
Russia is currently in the ~I'm a neko uWu phase.
owo Nato please don't bully uwu~~ rawr pounces on crimea from across azov sea
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 04, 2022, 12:22:55 pm »

So, Lysychansk-Severodonetsk agglomeration fell...

I expect to have few relatively calm weeks and then Russia will amass a new large force to achieve a single important goal. Most likely, it will be a very bloody advance on Kramatorsk-Slovyansk. But another direction is also possible.

Among the good news, HIMARSes (American-produced reactive artillery) do their job and Russian ammo\fuel depots spontaneously explode every day.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 04, 2022, 08:44:05 pm »

The supply situation isn't sustainable for Russia. Even if their recent "successes" were the result of outright victories rather than strategic withdrawals by Ukrainian forces (who most likely want to avoid any more heroic but wasteful last stands), they're spending immense quantities of material to get there. Even if those supplies were avaliable in infinite numbers in Russia itself, moving them to the front is a gargantuan task even before Biden gave Ukraine a "delete supply depot" button that Ukraine keeps slamming.

On the other side, the latest packages announced by Biden are quite substantial. To the point that it is heavily implied that the biggest delays on some of the promises will be that they have to be manufactured first.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 04, 2022, 11:32:49 pm »

One thing can be said for sure - Russia will not have military potential equal to what it had in February 2022 for a long time, possibly - never again.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 05, 2022, 01:50:04 am »

Sounds like we're getting to the point where we can just Ctrl Alt Del Russia's entire army.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 05, 2022, 09:53:36 am »

Sounds like we're getting to the point where we can just Ctrl Alt Del Russia's entire army.
Sadly, they have stockpiles for many years of such war. The same goes for cannon fodder.

Also, Americans don't allow us to use their toys against targets on Russian territory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #667 on: July 05, 2022, 10:43:17 am »

Recent news suggests the Russians have finally started to set up a unified command and as a result their combat effectiveness has increased, the UK Ministry of Defence claims. It is to be expected; it is one thing to be surprised by your own ill-preparedness, it's another thing to still be ill-prepared months after you learned painful lessons

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 05, 2022, 11:37:28 am »

Sadly (by a given perspective, by no means universal) even if Russia's pre-invasion estimated military potential is shown to be deficient to the revealed reality[1], there's no change in the impression that they have a working Big Red Button.

On ground-war alone (supported by conventional air and sea) I think they are a broken force, mostly, concentrating what they can spare of what still works on the current limited fronts. In a pre-nuclear time, they'd be considered a sitting-duck for any attack the West would care to launch.

In the attitude of an even earlier age (before a couple of World Wars greatly reduced the territorialising and appropriation that always used to happen when armies moved across the continents) Russia might well have been losing actual land, various exclaves (Kaliningrad, probably, just because it is potentially annoying to the neighbours) and other fringes[3], possibly big chunks, perhaps 'persuade' the likes of Belorussia to switch allegience. - But that's an unfashionable attitude to take, these days[4].

(Yeah, as ninjaed, they would also have been necessarily starting with the better unification of top-end control. But I still think they'd have been found lacking - if not so much - applying one of those to the attempt at the hydra-attack that they thought they'd be able to sustain.)

[1] Not helped by the use of such power, by those who should have known what they had available. The obvious initial tactic was an attack-in-breadth that was supposed to accomplish a combination of decapitating, disemboweling and also pulling the rug from under the feet of what remained of the still-twitching corpse. It failed for any number of reasons of over-reach and/or under-estimation. Had the attack been more to do what they are now currently doing[2] and 'properly established the "legitimacy" of the breakaway states', on a more limited front, they possibly could have achieved that aim before the world blinked. Forced Ukraine's government to suck it up as they chose the line they'd pull up at, not so obviously slowed, even by the existing Donbas defensive lines, and hidden the losses they inevitably took in getting there. Instead of trying a massively-multi-clawed pincer-movement that (it turns out) they were totally unable to pull off, losing a lot of their very few elite units in silly ways and bogging down (or worse) their pseudo-conscripts that someone should have known were just not properly prepared and/or motivated.

[2] Not sure if the land-bridge to the Crimea would have been a useful or necessary part of this, given how much difficulty it was to actually accomplish in our reality. Crimea is important as a naval asset and (minimally, given the proximity of much more native-Russia) as an Unsinkable Aircraft Carrier, but it doesn't help 'rationalise' the territory to create a corridor (in hindsight) when established post-2014 sea and bridge links can ensure that it's not particularly vulnerable under current circumstances.

[3] Any bits that looked attractive enough. To be (over?)reached for in return.

[4] Even if it might appear to have inspired US foreign policy a bit (and Israel, if that's not just a case of circumstancial necessity), it's more like the holdouts of Russia and China and their various client-states who seem to actually still want to (re)build their empires, by various means. Of course, righting "past wrongs" is a tricky motivation, given you can pick-and-choose a golden age that clashes with someone else's alternate vision of "when things were right". Or currently are.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 05, 2022, 11:31:27 pm »

Recent news suggests the Russians have finally started to set up a unified command and as a result their combat effectiveness has increased, the UK Ministry of Defence claims. It is to be expected; it is one thing to be surprised by your own ill-preparedness, it's another thing to still be ill-prepared months after you learned painful lessons

Hopefully, that just means the Russians are putting all their Generals in the same spot on Ukraine soil. One dead General a month isn't enough.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 06, 2022, 01:28:10 am »

Recent news suggests the Russians have finally started to set up a unified command and as a result their combat effectiveness has increased, the UK Ministry of Defence claims.
Holy crap it has taken them this long to do that, I mean with how long it took them to do this it's a wonder how they manage to do anything.

Hopefully, that just means the Russians are putting all their Generals in the same spot on Ukraine soil. One dead General a month isn't enough.
But with every dead general leads us closer to alcohol poisoning from the take a drink for every dead general game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 06, 2022, 08:46:24 am »

Before those, there's still bits of Russia that belongs to their neighbours, like Karelia.
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 07, 2022, 10:42:59 am »

Before those, there's still bits of Russia that belongs to their neighbours, like Karelia.

I am curious how many % of Finns would actually vote to get Karelia back. I suspect this number is in single digits.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 07, 2022, 10:53:11 am »

Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 07, 2022, 02:56:30 pm »

According to this unsourced wikipedia claim it's roughly a third.

I am surprised. It is way more than I expected. Getting a large Russian minority and a very underdeveloped region is a questionable desire.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 167