Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119168 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1005 on: August 27, 2022, 01:29:42 am »

I highly doubt anyone has the balls to put him in prison no matter how many crimes he commits. Ignoring his cultists going berserk, theres the fact that putting one wealthy and powerful man behind bars in a system that protects them opens up the possibility of every other politician and businessman whose committed crimes facing jail time, which theyll avoid at all costs, because theyre all criminals to some extent
Nah.
As long as a rich person acts like a proper rich person or a politician acts like a normal politician they are effectively immune to the law.
Trump right now? Not acting like a proper rich person and certainly isn't acting like a normal politician, so the actual rich people or politicians aren't going to be worried.

He might get away anyways, but its not going to be because Bezos fears that the same thing could happen to him.

E: To put it in a better way:
The game has rules, and as long as you play by the rules you are safe. Given the biggest and best rule is #1 Be Rich its pretty easy for rich people to follow them. But there are other rules like #2 Don't be obvious about breaking the law, and #3 Get a good lawyer and listen to them.

Trump is rich sure, but given his flagrant disregard for basically every other one he's out of the game, and everyone in it? Yeah, they aren't going to be worried about his fate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 02:19:41 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 27, 2022, 02:10:27 am »

Why are people bringing US political shit into a thread about Ukraine and Russia?

Also I have a feeling that the NRA thing in Russia doesn't actually exist.
Of course it exists! Who else is going to advocate for Russians to Bear Arms?
But to they advocate for Russians to Arm the Bears?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 27, 2022, 07:25:06 am »

Why are people bringing US political shit into a thread about Ukraine and Russia?

Also I have a feeling that the NRA thing in Russia doesn't actually exist.
Of course it exists! Who else is going to advocate for Russians to Bear Arms?
But to they advocate for Russians to Arm the Bears?
Bu of course! Every man, women, child and bear should be armed!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 28, 2022, 01:25:14 am »

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1563753741697916928

If you have any friends that believe that this war is because NATO-expansion, geopolitics, oligarch's interests, etc... Show them this video. It is also a good explanation of why surrender is not an option for Ukraine.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 28, 2022, 04:45:21 am »

Jesus. Always when I think Russian soldiers can't get any worse, they manage to prove otherwise.

(...and some say calling them orcs "dehumanizes" them. No need to dehumanize them, they do it themself.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 29, 2022, 03:26:16 am »

Calling Russians orcs is offensive to orcs, as Russians are worse than them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 29, 2022, 08:24:14 am »

Multiple sources report that a large Ukrainian offensive toward Kherson has begun. There is no reliable information but it seems like there are noticeable success and Ukrainian forces punched through the first line of Russian defense in at least one spot.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 29, 2022, 08:32:39 am »

Do you have any English sources? I thought the Ukrainians were being pushed back from Kherson just this week.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 29, 2022, 10:35:03 am »

According to my newspaper, Ukraine liberated a handful of villages in the Kherson province and conducted 'shaping operations', which is a term meaning they were strikes to create good conditions for a larger offensive, like attacks on command posts, weapon and ammunition depots, and defensive structures.
Analysts expect Ukraine's counter offensive will include air strikes, were before, Ukraine mostly if not only used artillery and missile attacks at the southern front.

I hope they kill every Russian and collaborator they can get their crosshairs on.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 29, 2022, 03:51:27 pm »

Why put him in prison? There are plenty of ways of slowly killing people. Why imprison them instead making them beg for death?

If some revolution does happen, I wish to see the Red Square getting a new coat of paint and hear a ballad of screams. They should publically execute all of the Russian oligarchs and their kin. Man, woman, children. Young and the elderly.

Sure, it would be cruel to kill kids. But in my almost entire 19 years of life in the Middle Fucking East, I know better than be "moral" and "sensible" in a situation like this. You go all out. You set a vicious example. No holding back. No humanity shown. Those pretty sentimental things are afforded to ones who have afforded them to you first when they should've. Showing humanity is just a waste on such people.

It would be a good little sidenote in history that future generations can use to taunt their own tyrants. A note written with blood.

As is long due.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 29, 2022, 03:58:32 pm »

And you've suddenly created a *lot* of martyrs and upset friends/relatives (Because everyone has friends and close relations, and unless you spread the executions to literally every relative and wind up wiping the entire country's population you'll leave plenty behind) who are going to make it their mission to ruin you and your system.

No, let them languish in a cell for life. It's less radicalising and, on top of that, the punishment doesn't stop. Death's a one-and-done thing, spending 50 years in prison?

And kids? Seriously? Fine, you can be the one braining toddlers on trees in the name of your indiscriminate crusade. Just hope you don't want therapy after, and I hope you're equally as accepting of someone killing you, your kids and your nieces and nephews if your dad or granddad or whoever turns out to be a psycho.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 29, 2022, 04:17:11 pm »

Funny, I never heard calls for this kind of cruelty from people who went through some real shit. I remember when I asked one soldier "do you want to see Russian cities becoming like Mariupol?", the answer was immediate, with zero thinking "we are not them".  (Not that I have illusions and think that there are no Ukrainian soldiers who did some nasty shit with the enemy but I have good reasons to believe that it is rare)

Enjoying the suffering of other people IS NOT OK. Even enjoying imagining their sufferings IS NOT OK. Sometimes it is emotionally unavoidable, believe me, I experienced rage and hate many many times and mind becomes... "creative". But I know that nothing good can come out of sadism.

And public torture and murdering of children (an act, that is always criminal and immoral) to scare potential future criminals don't work. It was tried many, many times.

BTW, Russia did try exactly that with corrupt imperialist oligarch war criminals, a little more than 100 years ago. Killed all of them who failed to flee. Didn't end well for anyone.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 29, 2022, 05:04:20 pm »

Sure. Whatever. But I can't help but wonder, you know? If they were just gone like that? No longer there to do what they do. No longer causing suffering.

Now that I cooled off, the fact that killing kids is a bad thing returned to me. Sorry...

The thing that angers me this much is that tyranny, in all shapes and forms, just keeps happening! It. Just. Keeps. Happening. It doesn't ever ends! It stops somewhere then starts on some other place! Why is there not something to just STOP it, you know? Are we doomed to constantly having to deal with these few absolutely shitty people shitting all over our green earth? And we are just supposed to exist with this?

Fuck that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 05:06:34 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 29, 2022, 05:06:55 pm »

I mean, it's not like Russia has a long and fairly bloody history of exactly what you're calling for happening and then the new regime is generally just as bad if not outright worse.

Like seriously dude, this is fucking Russia you're talking about, the textbook example of "Bloody revolution ends up making things shit for everyone involved and then some"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 167