Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119196 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1245 on: September 18, 2022, 03:07:45 am »

Who a mod team when we have a Toad?

Also whats with that eerr guy?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: September 18, 2022, 04:10:52 am »

Buy what if we could... mod the toad.

I want to add lazerz
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 18, 2022, 04:32:46 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/18/ukraine-war-cross-border-russia-putin-belgorod

Interesting article about the current mood in Russian Belgorod
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 18, 2022, 10:25:27 am »

Hopefully that mood spreads. Nothing kills wars like an entire nation getting war-weariness.

As ever though, what I hope is far from what I expect.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 18, 2022, 02:41:35 pm »

When a parent is telling their kids an external threat is coming, giving the parent justification to raise their fists at the kids and coerce obedience...

...and when a government is telling their people that an external threat is coming, giving the government justification to raise their fists at the people and coerce obedience.

The Russian state-media is probably going to start spinning the narrative, the "special-operation is failing due to massive influx of Western/NATO forces and we are preparing to be invaded and you are expected to contribute to the defense." This is where anyone associated with protest, disagreement, and contemplation will be further ostracized. And Russia will do it to themselves once again, an internal purge that will create the best soil for new philosophers.

In the USA, this paradigm/model was attempted after WWII under the brand name of McCarthyism, with the combination of "everyone outside the USA is a commie" and "everyone inside the USA who doesn't agree is a commie".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #1250 on: September 18, 2022, 06:31:13 pm »

Alot of fighting is now going on between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. I just don't know the particular reasons of the why, it's happening about now.

My best guess is that with Russia heavily crippled from its botched military campaign against Ukraine, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan can now readily fight eachother (despite both being in CSTO) over resources now that Russia can't readily intervene.

Man, Putin really shit-the-bed with this one.

He caused Russia's sphere of influences to not respect it anymore. Along with its already abysmal economy teetering further down the proverbial abyss due to sanctions, poor demographic outlook, and its international relations and prestige taking a heavy beating; it'll take DECADES (maybe even a few centuries, if humanity is still even around) for Russia to recover from all of this.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: September 19, 2022, 01:32:14 am »

Alot of fighting is now going on between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. I just don't know the particular reasons of the why, it's happening about now.

My best guess is that with Russia heavily crippled from its botched military campaign against Ukraine, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan can now readily fight eachother (despite both being in CSTO) over resources now that Russia can't readily intervene.

Man, Putin really shit-the-bed with this one.

He caused Russia's sphere of influences to not respect it anymore. Along with its already abysmal economy teetering further down the proverbial abyss due to sanctions, poor demographic outlook, and its international relations and prestige taking a heavy beating; it'll take DECADES (maybe even a few centuries, if humanity is still even around) for Russia to recover from all of this.

Russsian sphere of influence has diminished yes... But why would Putin care to protect the sole democracy (even if far from perfect) in the region? BTW, Russian media are quite pro-Tajik. Not to the point of "all Kyrgyzs are nazies and American sluts" but still.

As I said it in a parallel thread - The economy of Tajikistan is very dependent on workers in Russia. With the Russian economy suffering, more and more Tajiks come home... flow of foreign currency from abroad falls, unemployment rises. A local dictator needs something to maintain his power. Quick war for solving an old border dispute is  (in his mind) a good solution.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: September 19, 2022, 02:00:53 am »

Starting from today, Poland and the Baltic States aren't allowing Russians with Schengen tourist visas to enter their countries. Considering that there are no direct flights between EU and Russia, it leaves only three routes - through Finland, flying in some country then to EU, and by sea.

Russian so-called liberals are really pissed and say that such steps will only increase Putin's support. It is very entertaining to read them on Twitter.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: September 19, 2022, 06:32:25 am »

I am curious to hear what the reasoning for it is though. Is it some counter-espionage protocol?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: September 20, 2022, 05:48:03 am »

So, in all of occupied regions, local collaborators announced "referendums" for joining Russia + Russia's State Duma adopted amendments to Penal code on desertions, mobilisation, martial law, war time, surrendering as a POW*

So, I think there will be martial law and mobilization in Russia to protect Russian territory against Ukrainian invasion + possibly WMD.

*surrounded and surrendered to avoid pointless death = up to 10 years of prison :D When you worship Stalin, you get Stalin's laws sooner or later

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: September 20, 2022, 05:49:59 am »

Seeing some reports that large numbers of Russian prisoners joined the Wagner Group as "mercenaries", were sent to Ukraine after a brief training period, and promptly surrendered.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: September 20, 2022, 05:58:40 am »

According to what I heard, "large numbers" is around a dozen.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: September 20, 2022, 06:01:04 am »

That would make more sense - none of my sources had numbers - just saying "most of the ones recruited".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: September 20, 2022, 10:47:48 am »

There are strong rumors that Putin will address the nation his subjects today, 20:00 Moscow time. Interesting!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: September 20, 2022, 10:56:46 am »

Hey, let's ignorantly speculate on what he'll say. My guess:
- we've liberated the Donbas!
- the Donbas gets to vote on joining join Mother Russia.
- oh, look! Donbas is under attack. Ergo, Russia is being invaded.
- in the face of an invasion by nazi Ukrainians we need to mobilise.
- some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 167