Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118569 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1380 on: October 01, 2022, 05:07:55 am »

So what you guys are saying is that Putin is worse than Hitler, because he cares about nothing but whatever stupid ass thing he was trying to prove with this war.

No, I don't think one can be truly worse than Hitler, the best one can "achieve" is to get to his level of malevolence.
If Hitler had a fraction of genuine care about the German nation, he would have sent a bullet in his head way earlier, instead of causing unnecessary German deaths in a lost war.

I am comparing Russians and Germans, not Putin and Hitler.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 01, 2022, 10:51:09 am »

I think it's too early to analyze Putin's level of Evil.
It won't be until After the War that we have sufficient details to say.

I also doubt the use of trying to weigh who's more Evil.
Hitler was more competent, and thus was able to do more Evil. But he didn't have Nukes, so Putin has more potential for Evil.
I worry how this story ends.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 01, 2022, 10:57:59 am »

Throughout history there have been people more evil than Hitler. Stalin and Mao both have higher kill counts than Hitler (primarily of their own people) even if Hitler is more famous. In terms of "percentage of the world population murdered" Genghis Khan wins as well, I think. Imperial Japan committed atrocities on a scale limited by their more limited numbers and resources, and on a more personal and individually horrifying level.

Hitler may be the benchmark, but there's people above and around his personal level of absolutely-insane evil and to say that nobody could ever be that evil is....wrong, and also not a good way of thinking since it inherently seems to deny the possibility of Putin, say, ordering the mass murder of every male who could maybe be a Ukrainian soldier. Which has happened at least to some extent.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 01, 2022, 11:30:54 am »

To be fair Stalin and Mao were, as far as I'm aware, in control for longer than Hitler. Had he not offed himself and the Allies not invaded God knows how many would have died to him.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 01, 2022, 11:32:36 am »

wrong, and also not a good way of thinking since it inherently seems to deny the possibility of Putin, say, ordering the mass murder of every male who could maybe be a Ukrainian soldier

It would be roughly the same level of evil as the Holocaust, no?

Also, make no mistake, the total extermination of the Ukrainian nation IS the goal of this war. The difference with the Holocaust is that Germans believed in their racial theory and Jews had no escape in a form of becoming proper Germans.

Hitler is something so close to absolute, unrefined evil that arguments like " well Stalin was even worse because..." have no sense. They both reached levels where there are no redeeming qualities to seek, nothing to analyze
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 01, 2022, 12:12:25 pm »

Again, this is a pointless discussion.
Hitler had control of Western Europe for 5 years, and it took two years to get solid proof of the concentration camps.

Putin has little control of Ukraine, and the investigation is ongoing. And the war ain't over.

Yes, I think we can agree Putin is our century's Hitler.
Maybe we could move on for now?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 01, 2022, 12:55:03 pm »

(with Putin's insane pet patriarch calling for holy war against a country which by and large has exactly the same religion as he does, no less).

Talking of "emotional responses to war in Ukraine"...

Yankee dorf here. I grew up Catholic, we converted to Eastern Orthodoxy when I was around 13 (there's a good few Greek churches scattered around New England), and now I'm a college kid studying for the priesthood. It's been horrifying watching Russia, an essentially Orthodox nation, march against another essentially Orthodox nation. These people share a body in Christ, and they're killing each other. It's a cruel mockery of the faith.

Politics suck. I appreciate y'all for documenting the war so diligently on this subforum; this has been (weirdly) my main source of news on the matter.

Good strength Strongpoint, Max :-\
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 01, 2022, 01:18:41 pm »

Yankee dorf here. I grew up Catholic, we converted to Eastern Orthodoxy when I was around 13 (there's a good few Greek churches scattered around New England), and now I'm a college kid studying for the priesthood. It's been horrifying watching Russia, an essentially Orthodox nation, march against another essentially Orthodox nation. These people share a body in Christ, and they're killing each other. It's a cruel mockery of the faith.

What's that much more mortifying from a theological standpoint is the Russian Orthodox Church's use as a weapon of propaganda.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 01, 2022, 01:29:48 pm »

(with Putin's insane pet patriarch calling for holy war against a country which by and large has exactly the same religion as he does, no less).

Politics suck. I appreciate y'all for documenting the war so diligently on this subforum; this has been (weirdly) my main source of news on the matter.

Same as it ever was.

Politics has always wielded religion like a hammer. If a group's too antsy, smack them with it. If a group's too influential, whack them with it. Neighbour has land you want? Whack them with it. You don't need any legitimate reason, just reasons that are legitimate enough.

Perhaps if we could disentangle politics and religion they'd both be in a somewhat better state, but as it is I think we're far too human to do that.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 01, 2022, 07:28:41 pm »

If what I am hearing is correct, Ukraine's apparently decided to skip their next scheduled conscription phase. That's a brilliant move from a diplomatic and propaganda perspective, but I am a little concerned about the military ramifications.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 01, 2022, 07:56:05 pm »

As I believe Strongpoint mentioned awhile ago, they're not short of volunteers or soldiers, they just always need more heavy weapons and time to train more people up. Additional conscription isn't really going to help them.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 01, 2022, 08:02:28 pm »

If what I am hearing is correct, Ukraine's apparently decided to skip their next scheduled conscription phase. That's a brilliant move from a diplomatic and propaganda perspective, but I am a little concerned about the military ramifications.

We skipped the spring conscription phase, too. Non-volunteer 18-20-year-olds are not really useful at frontlines. Yeah, it is illegal (in most cases) for males of military age to leave and Ukraine is keeping the option of drafting everyone (lets say if Russia will start a total mobilization) but it is merely an option.

We have more volunteer manpower than we can train and equip to reasonable standards.

Man, I am an anti-theist and one of the big reasons why I am one is this war. I mean the war that started in 2014, not merely this phase.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 01, 2022, 08:03:17 pm »

More than anything else, I just fear the leadership getting overconfident.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 01, 2022, 11:23:50 pm »

I am Orthodox and I am ashamed.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 02, 2022, 01:51:37 am »

It's ok.
American Catholics make the Pope cry.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 167