Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119174 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1620 on: November 10, 2022, 04:54:47 pm »

Many, many Russians fleeing Kherson won't survive this night. Dnipro's water is kinda cold at this time of the year.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 11, 2022, 12:02:25 am »

Some would say that if it doesn't involve magma, then it isn't suitably Dorfy.

Hey just because I am a young male doesn't mean you can send me to my death!

And I bet you are old, too.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 11, 2022, 03:42:53 am »

Seems kind of strange that no one has ever actually built a device to kill people by pouring magma on them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 11, 2022, 10:58:27 am »

Gotta love Russian talk shows. Apparently the imperialist Poland wants to annex Ukraine and march on Moscow now. Or rather, it has always wanted to, but now is our chance. We hate them Ruskies; it's in our blood, you see.
Typical Pole, exhibit A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuZ24VBrbO4

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: November 11, 2022, 11:52:15 am »

Kherson is free!

And relatively intact.

Yes, retreating Russians blew up bridges, a heating facility, tv tower, energy infrastructure, some other stuff... And it was thoroughly looted, from city monuments...  to content of museums... to animals from the city zoo to... a children train from a local amusement park...

Many were deported... some local collaborators and pro-Russians ran away voluntarily but many were forcefully deported including their children and orphans....

Everyone expects artillery strikes on the city... Everyone knows what we will find in local torture chambers and on outskirts of the city...

But Kherson is back home.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: November 11, 2022, 12:00:47 pm »

Gotta love Russian talk shows. Apparently the imperialist Poland wants to annex Ukraine and march on Moscow now. Or rather, it has always wanted to, but now is our chance. We hate them Ruskies; it's in our blood, you see.
Typical Pole, exhibit A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuZ24VBrbO4
Fair's fair, though. I reckon Poland should occupy half of Russia. And of Germany, to make it equitable.

(Make it a joint enterprise with Lithuania. Then give half of Poland to Luxembourg, just to balance out that bit of history, too.)

Re: Kherson - congrats, but also take care... (as a nation, but naturally also everyone involved personally). If there aren't any nasty surprises prepared/planned then I might actually start feeling sorry for the Russian forces who ran away.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 11, 2022, 06:54:02 pm »

Most of human history indicates this statement to be dead wrong.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 11, 2022, 06:56:01 pm »

Most of human history indicates this statement to be dead wrong.
You're missing the context that due to extremely blurry vision, Magmacube is not eligible to be in the Russian military. He'd be a liability on the battlefield.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 11, 2022, 07:08:07 pm »

I don't think that he is russian or lives in russia.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 11, 2022, 07:08:29 pm »

Seeing some footage emerging of Russia blowing up their own tanks before retreating. It doesn't generally mean good things are happening to you if you have to do that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 11, 2022, 07:21:44 pm »

Such as....? My mind immediately jumps to "they're going to do something terrible to that area and there's no time to move the hardware out." Your retreat has to be pretty drastic to scrap your materiel like that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 11, 2022, 07:43:00 pm »

I'm minded of the US chucking its perfectly good evacuation helicopters off the carrier decks as they pulled out of Vietnam (for various reason - not entirely sure they didn't have more missions in them, but they certainly weren't at that time considered as more than liabilitiesanda waste of deck-space). Then there was Kabul, again the US, not so long ago.

If they were tanks awaiting (relatively) trivial repair, I could see them being taken completely out of viable recommissioning under Ukrainean hands. If they were completely Ok, beforehand, and they still had somewhere to take them then it seems stupid. Or a form of militaristic passive resistance by interpretting orders in a not-exactly-mutinous manner.

How about if they were wary of having a bridge still to cross, with relatively trundling vehickles, because of either side's ideas regarding imminent demolition? Cram tank-crews into the next available stolen minibus, get the hell outa there (or go to ground) with the last actsof a few engineers/crewmembers to be putting the stuff permanently out of commission?

...possibilites, and almost all stink of desparation of one kind or another.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: November 11, 2022, 07:43:34 pm »

Such as....? My mind immediately jumps to "they're going to do something terrible to that area and there's no time to move the hardware out." Your retreat has to be pretty drastic to scrap your materiel like that.
They've been losing equipment to advancing Ukrainians since Kyiv. You don't always get to take with you everything you'd like to as the enemy won't be kindly waiting for you to finish packing. Especially here, where their logistics were already strained.
That they've been blowing up the equipment simply shows that this time they at least remembered to do that much, instead of leaving the usual 'almost-new' gifts to the other side.
Do you see it? It means they're slightly better at losing the war this time around.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 11, 2022, 07:48:18 pm »

It probably means they're about to be driven into the sea river, and their heavy equipment can't come with them if they try to flee. That's Not Good.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 11, 2022, 07:52:25 pm »

I'm minded of the US chucking its perfectly good evacuation helicopters off the carrier decks as they pulled out of Vietnam (for various reason - not entirely sure they didn't have more missions in them, but they certainly weren't at that time considered as more than liabilitiesanda waste of deck-space). Then there was Kabul, again the US, not so long ago.

If they were tanks awaiting (relatively) trivial repair, I could see them being taken completely out of viable recommissioning under Ukrainean hands. If they were completely Ok, beforehand, and they still had somewhere to take them then it seems stupid. Or a form of militaristic passive resistance by interpretting orders in a not-exactly-mutinous manner.

How about if they were wary of having a bridge still to cross, with relatively trundling vehickles, because of either side's ideas regarding imminent demolition? Cram tank-crews into the next available stolen minibus, get the hell outa there (or go to ground) with the last actsof a few engineers/crewmembers to be putting the stuff permanently out of commission?

...possibilites, and almost all stink of desparation of one kind or another.

Given the reports from earlier in the war of having poor supplies and such, I’d hazard a guess at it being related to that. Not enough fuel or spare parts or something, and not wanting thte equipment to fall into enemy hands.

It could be just as you suggest though, that the Russians have had enough of those poor supplies and are acting out as a consequence. If you’ve spent the better part of a year holding a city not getting enough supplies to do that, and then get told to retreat, I can’t imagine you’d be happy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 167