Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119212 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1635 on: November 14, 2022, 11:16:51 am »

Hey just because I am a young male doesn't mean you can send me to my death!
Most of human history indicates this statement to be dead wrong.
Sometimes young men are not sent to their deaths; the death is sent to them

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 14, 2022, 11:42:48 am »

Wagner Group going full ISIS/ISIL:

Quote from: Reuters
Video shows sledgehammer execution of Russian mercenary

Russia's Yevgeny Prigozhin, a close ally of President Vladimir Putin, said on Sunday that a former mercenary who was filmed being executed by a sledgehammer blow to the head after changing sides in the Ukraine war was a traitor.

Prigozhin, a Russian businessman who founded the Wagner private military group, was responding to an unverified video distributed on Telegram that showed a man identified as a former Wagner mercenary being executed after admitting that he had changed sides in September to "fight against the Russians".

In the footage, the man, who gave his name as Yevgenny Nuzhin, 55, was shown with his head taped to a brick wall. He said he was abducted in Kyiv on Oct. 11 and came around in a cellar.

"I got hit over the head and lost consciousness and came around in this cellar," he said. "They told me I was to be tried."

As he said those words, an unidentified man loitering in combat clothing behind Nuzhin, smashed a sledgehammer into the side of his head and neck.

Nuzhin collapsed onto the floor and the unidentified man delivered another blow to his head.

[...]

Asked to comment on the execution video, Prigozhin said in remarks released by his spokeswoman that the video should be called "A dog receives a dog's death".

"Nuzhin betrayed his people, betrayed his comrades, betrayed consciously," said Prigozhin, who has been sanctioned by the United States and European Union for his role in Wagner. "Nuzhin was a traitor."

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 14, 2022, 01:12:46 pm »

Wagner Group going full ISIS/ISIL:

Quote from: Reuters
Video shows sledgehammer execution of Russian mercenary

Russia's Yevgeny Prigozhin, a close ally of President Vladimir Putin, said on Sunday that a former mercenary who was filmed being executed by a sledgehammer blow to the head after changing sides in the Ukraine war was a traitor.

Prigozhin, a Russian businessman who founded the Wagner private military group, was responding to an unverified video distributed on Telegram that showed a man identified as a former Wagner mercenary being executed after admitting that he had changed sides in September to "fight against the Russians".

In the footage, the man, who gave his name as Yevgenny Nuzhin, 55, was shown with his head taped to a brick wall. He said he was abducted in Kyiv on Oct. 11 and came around in a cellar.

"I got hit over the head and lost consciousness and came around in this cellar," he said. "They told me I was to be tried."

As he said those words, an unidentified man loitering in combat clothing behind Nuzhin, smashed a sledgehammer into the side of his head and neck.

Nuzhin collapsed onto the floor and the unidentified man delivered another blow to his head.

[...]

Asked to comment on the execution video, Prigozhin said in remarks released by his spokeswoman that the video should be called "A dog receives a dog's death".

"Nuzhin betrayed his people, betrayed his comrades, betrayed consciously," said Prigozhin, who has been sanctioned by the United States and European Union for his role in Wagner. "Nuzhin was a traitor."

they practice such methods since (at least) 2017 - https://newlinesmag.com/reportage/family-seek-justice-in-russia-fo-syrian-army-deserter-was-savagely-killed-by-putins-wagner/
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 15, 2022, 03:20:49 am »

“It is entirely seemly for a young man killed in battle to lie mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things appear fair. But when dogs shame the gray head and gray chin and nakedness of an old man killed, it is the most piteous thing that happens among wretched mortals.”  2500+ years old and still describes the result of war quite well...

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 15, 2022, 04:13:44 am »

That sounds like an overly brutal way to kill someone.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 15, 2022, 09:52:00 am »

Our Dutch minister of Foreign Affairs and his diplomatic staff had to rush and take cover in a bomb shelter in Kyiv, after Russians fired a handful of cruise missiles at the president's office.
He was visiting Kyiv for a meeting with Ukraine's National Security Council.

I wonder what would happen if a government leader of a NATO country were to be killed in Kyiv by Russian attacks.
For example, Biden gets killed when visiting Kyiv.

Technically that's not article 5, since the attack is not on NATO soil, but I wonder if that would stop the US from declaring war if their president or Chief of Staff was killed.

EDIT: or perhaps it would even be article 5. The ground under the feet of a diplomatic mission, for the duration and purpose of the mission is temporarily considered to be falling under the national sovereignty of the mission's flag.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 10:05:10 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 15, 2022, 10:02:24 am »

I'd imagine there'd be something akin to the response to a nuclear attack, which is to say a sudden, crippling conventional retaliatory attack.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 15, 2022, 10:59:36 am »

So, another massive missile strike on the energy infrastructure. Do they really expect that this primitive terrorism will win the lost war?

Considering that I enjoyed only 8-12 hours of electricity per day before this strike, I may not post often :)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 15, 2022, 01:43:51 pm »

Evidently Russia can't help but help test out assumptions about what might trigger Article 5, as they managed to accidentally land missiles in Przewodów, Poland causing two deaths.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 15, 2022, 02:04:37 pm »

welp that's that nice knowing everyone
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 15, 2022, 02:21:53 pm »

Putin is certainly doing his utmost to turn the whole g20 /19 against him.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 15, 2022, 03:00:31 pm »

Remember, the fun part is there is no good answer to this. Either we risk WWIII teaching Putin that actions sometimes do have consequences, or he learns that "accidentally blowing up NATO territory" is perfectly okay to do.

See before with the "absolute worst-case scenario that this invasion could end in is potentially much worse than just nuclear war" rants I've done, with the added reminder that nuclear war still sucks even if it's not the "a new era of militarism, nuclear proliferation, and imperialism makes WWIII inevitable anyway, and when it finally arrives we'll welcome an end to Hell of Earth with open arms" ending.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 15, 2022, 03:23:26 pm »

Accidentally posted this in the mildly upset thread. Moving it here

According to our government, our minister is curently safe in the bomb shelter he is hiding in.
So he ain't completely out of the woods yet.

EDIT:

Meanwhile, two people were killed in Poland, when a Russian missile struck the village of Przewodów, 70km north of Lviv.
The Polish prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki has called a meeting with the government's defense council.

Our Dutch minister has left the bomb shelter in Kyiv, after being stuck there for 3 hours
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:35:32 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 15, 2022, 03:40:59 pm »

Just so happens that the G19 summit is going on too!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 15, 2022, 04:04:01 pm »

Remember, the fun part is there is no good answer to this. Either we risk WWIII teaching Putin that actions sometimes do have consequences, or he learns that "accidentally blowing up NATO territory" is perfectly okay to do.

I was thinking perhaps, with prior coordinated agreement with Ukraine (to not interfere badly with their own on-the-ground actions) have a strike against a military base/complex in Crimea that was not even one of those 'leased' to Russia before they usurped the whole territory (thus still not actually Russian territory by commonly accepted International rules).

Or something similar in the more recently invaded territories, as second-best but possibly tipped over into far more steady ground, legally, for some of the worldwide community.

I'd like to see a coordinated spread pattern of the even more accurate NATO-only weaponry mark out a great big smiley face (think Lethal Weapon firing range), but I may be fantasising a bit on the practicities of that exact part of the plan. At least.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 167