Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118577 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1980 on: February 02, 2023, 03:07:33 am »

There's been polling on the subject - quite good polling. Even among Republicans, support for Russa is down in the "margin of polling error" range. Support for Ukraine is lower among Republicans in polls, topping out at a mere 70% in favor of continuing and increasing aid.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: February 02, 2023, 03:24:44 am »

There's been polling on the subject - quite good polling. Even among Republicans, support for Russa is down in the "margin of polling error" range. Support for Ukraine is lower among Republicans in polls, topping out at a mere 70% in favor of continuing and increasing aid.
That is great to hear.

It's important to remember that this video is censored by Youtube.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: February 02, 2023, 03:28:38 am »

They censored Arnolds speech? That's insane.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: February 02, 2023, 03:36:52 am »

They censored Arnolds speech? That's insane.

Having re-watched it, he was critical of the January 6th insurrection, which I suspect is the real reason Youtube had to censor it.
Republi-Hards probably overwhelmed YouTube's report function until they had no choice.
Arnold's a real man, not like the simps championing today's Republicans.

All hail the Governator!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: February 02, 2023, 03:50:13 am »

It is a good speech
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1985 on: February 02, 2023, 04:00:43 am »

He did say the, ehm, second N-word multiple times in his speech, that is very not advertizer friendly, so I guess youtube bots locked in on his speech. Thanks youtube for protecting us from non advertizer friendly content.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: February 02, 2023, 04:13:28 am »

Ukrainian government says they believe that Russia will start a new offensive february 24th, with half a million reservists.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: February 02, 2023, 04:59:33 am »

Ukrainian government says they believe that Russia will start a new offensive february 24th, with half a million reservists.
It's very much Russia's "time to do things" (many overlapping anniversaries, often because later events were themselves scheduled to be 'anniversary specials', and so making the Birthday Paradox far less surprising).

Also, they've now got to get in there before various new tanks get to the frontline, to try to change the ground (or even crush Ukraine entirely out of the game) before they get the chance to shift the balance, thanks to the rather public-facing international discussions that everyone is aware of. Though I suspect the less "tanky" support that has already been sent will already be in place, and useful for it. Hopefully the Russian commanders will feel rushed and have too much of an eye on the right hand apparently still trying to plant the rabbit in the hat, whilst the left hand has already successfully palmed the joker for a completely different magic trick...

(There's reports that Russian tactics have been getting smarter, evolving to be more clever, but pushing so many reservists in might not be conducive with smarter military thinking, except as pure distraction technique.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: February 02, 2023, 05:20:47 am »

I don't see any point in shouting about banning one dumb ass that only shows up every now and then to spam some big wall of crap, I mean if we did that every time someone else did that most people here would be gone.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: February 02, 2023, 05:27:49 am »

(1) it's ironic. Putin accuses Ukraine and the West of being nazis. While in fact, the handful of nazis that we have, are Putin's strongest supporters.

Similar here in Germany. The very much right-wing "AFD" party is one of Putins strongest supporters,

Degrees in hell in the country that is the single foremost supporter of Putin in Europe, bar Serbia, maybe. Don't talk as if the AFD is a special case when your elected government has been licking Putin's hoots for a nearly a quarter century now, in spite of the rest of the EU begging you to stop because it puts the rest of Europe in danger.

Shit, I wouldn't put the Netherlands of that list either, but I'm not sure enough about if and if so how much they profited from Germany's pro-Putin gas deals.
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: February 02, 2023, 06:00:51 am »

It's very much Russia's "time to do things" (many overlapping anniversaries, often because later events were themselves scheduled to be 'anniversary specials', and so making the Birthday Paradox far less surprising).

Also, they've now got to get in there before various new tanks get to the frontline, to try to change the ground (or even crush Ukraine entirely out of the game) before they get the chance to shift the balance, thanks to the rather public-facing international discussions that everyone is aware of. Though I suspect the less "tanky" support that has already been sent will already be in place, and useful for it. Hopefully the Russian commanders will feel rushed and have too much of an eye on the right hand apparently still trying to plant the rabbit in the hat, whilst the left hand has already successfully palmed the joker for a completely different magic trick...

(There's reports that Russian tactics have been getting smarter, evolving to be more clever, but pushing so many reservists in might not be conducive with smarter military thinking, except as pure distraction technique.)
Having those masses of forces sitting around doing nothing for too long is dangerous and expensive for Russia.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: February 02, 2023, 06:02:44 am »

Having those masses of forces sitting around doing nothing for too long is dangerous and expensive for Russia.
You are assuming they are getting paid and equipped

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: February 02, 2023, 06:07:58 am »

You are assuming they are getting paid and equipped
I may be wrongly believing they are being fed and are able-bodied.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 02, 2023, 06:51:31 am »

Degrees in hell in the country that is the single foremost supporter of Putin in Europe, bar Serbia, maybe. Don't talk as if the AFD is a special case when your elected government has been licking Putin's hoots for a nearly a quarter century now, in spite of the rest of the EU begging you to stop because it puts the rest of Europe in danger.

Shit, I wouldn't put the Netherlands of that list either, but I'm not sure enough about if and if so how much they profited from Germany's pro-Putin gas deals.

Can't really argue there. I did a short rant in this thread 10 months ago about our government doing shit about supporting Ukraine. I felt intense personal shame when our secretary of defense announced that Germany would be sending 5000 combat helmets, and blabbered on about what a substantial support that was.

The problem, as I see it, is that Putin did a very good job of preparing the social battlefield over the last 20 years. So much money went into undermining democratic structures. For example, everyday you can watch Russian trolls working the forums of major news outlets or newsmagazines, it's disgusting. There is much opposition against those trolls, but the amount of people spouting bullcrap or just believing them is staggering. Together with the economical ties Germany had (and still has!) to Russia and the traditional wait-and-see policies of the governments, it makes for a very sad affair indeed.

Edit: Add to that several layers of deep seated systemic corruption, complacent and inefficient bureaucracy bordering again on corruption, ... It's a mess, and I start to rant again. Will stop here, sorry
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:10:12 am by Ganondworf »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 02, 2023, 07:51:38 am »

I assume you mean strategy, referring to the host of essentially political decisions that made little military sense when Russia still believed that they can snatches victory from the jaws of defeat faint/repositioning/whatever, which put them at huge disadvantage.

I doubt that anyone think that brigade worth of tanks can shift the score in the face of a half million army, such an army would certainly make pulling out rabbits like in Kharkiv neigh impossible.  Speaking of numbers, is there a site counting the training potential of Ukraine?

Can't really argue there. I did a short rant in this thread 10 months ago about our government doing shit about supporting Ukraine. I felt intense personal shame when our secretary of defense announced that Germany would be sending 5000 combat helmets, and blabbered on about what a substantial support that was.

Germany doesn't border Russia though. As major power Russia have a lot sway and a long memory, and until its defeat is assured one should measure the risk of direct involvement vs the possibility of painful consequences. Keep in mind that in 2015 most argued that Russian campaign in Syria was doomed to fail and a yet a decade later they won.

That said, there are myriad of ways to lend support unofficially, indeed there many that do so under the radar
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 167