Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!  (Read 6987 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2023, 02:14:36 am »

oh my god lol this fortress is a bloody mess. literally.

a migrant who decided to start her life in the new fortress by CLEANING THE BLOOD OUTSIDE WHILE METERS AWAY FROM AN ELEPHANT.

"No! We don't clean the blood! RUN!"

So far this place is functioning as a training dummy for the local elephant gangsters, keen on honing their tusk impaling techniques on squishy half-men like us. At least the skies remain empty of the dreaded green menace.

Further, I sense a presence of greatness. Motes of old magic... Smallhands, of course, but others as well... Duck Fortress... Boatmurdered (these elephants my god)... apparitions from times long past.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

elephant steak, anyone . . .?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2023, 04:28:25 am »

I'll take a new dwarf, profession doesn't matter.

Maybe this one will live longer than the last one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2023, 08:59:08 am »

I'll take another as well, actually. Chuck a 'delph' on that migrant with no regards for her own safety.

It is ceaselessly funny to me that the time we try to be vegans, we make the most violent fort I've ever seen.

Maybe this one will live longer than the last one.

This is a big maybe.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2023, 03:22:29 pm »

10th Slate
We've finally reclaimed that wood - how environmentally friendly is that? I think everything will be fine.

Actually while on that little project I found something that gave me probably the best idea so far - maybe ever!

22nd Slate
Less than two weeks later (I couldn't really afford to assign too much dwarfpower to that project genius though it is), but finally

I can already see some slightly less depressed faces all around.

1st Felsite
The wildlife is fighting outside. Closing every entrance was a good idea.

3rd Felsite
So we did find the third cavern. What we didn't find, unfortunately, is a magma pool of some kind. I was really hoping we wouldn't have to dig much deeper. It's a bit risky to go deeper. But we will dig anyway. I'll install some bridges to cut off the dig site in case of, you know.
Also these guys. I have no clue what they're supposed to be - but at least they don't look too threatening.

Sand, this deep underground? This will help us immensely with our glass industry, we NEED that sand! I wonder... sand on the surface is usually deep enough to dig out from underneath, that would save me a lot of trouble.

(a note added later - is wasn't deep enough)

12th Felsite
Redecorations are going great! The walls in the hospital are now a very clean chalk, I also moved the entrance - all that trampling probably didn't help the field grow. I need to order more shale blocks - its the most pleasant color.

1st Hematite
Finally! Hot walls - even hotter than usual.

One of the founders - Sarvesh, I believe, walked past me cackling "Now I'm the King Zultan!" I think I will leave her to that. She does look a bit like KingZultan.

15th Hematite
Human caravan! I was really hoping to trade with elves in my year, but they didn't come. Humans will have to do I guess.

The problem is - once I opened the gates, the herd of elephants came rushing in.

This... Is this any different from them fighting other animals? It's still natural selection, right? All my citizens came rushing right out, I can't close the gates without losing about ten citizens. The human doesn't look injured and kills elephants pretty easily. Is that... Do we just suck?

Honestly, unsurprising.

19th Hematite - around 20ish Malachite
So, I wanted to send some prisoners off with this caravan, and I think the cage wasn't locked - anyway, one of the zombies got out. In the end I had to draft some less involved citizens.

Poor Kosoth tried his best to fight - he's alive at least.

Aww! Elephants gave birth to baby elephants! Or maybe they replenished their ranks. The herd looks weirdly docile - they don't even attack the child that tries to play with them.

But in the end they did attack. Our guest, along with our military, ended up killing some more elephants.

Our only casualty.

I bought an anvil and some plants, among other things. Nothing really remarkable. Sold and or gifted most leather items we still had for some reason.

27th Malachite
The magma sea! Not the easiest way to find magma, but here we are. I'll start with the smelters and glass furnaces.

12th Galena
Kosoth didn't make it. Our doctors did all they could - but obviously it wasn't enough. At least he died making something to remember him by. We need something to fight infections. Is there a plant-based soap?

1st Limestone
I will be honest, I have no idea.

12th Limestone
So our militia commander really proved himself during the human caravan elephant attack - so we decided to honor him with a nickname - he's now delph. Sounds good.

Also, our caravan arrived! They are bound to carry something good! What did they order last year again?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 05:59:52 pm by Baprr »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2023, 03:36:09 pm »

It took me a while to notice the forbidden doors in the trap tunnel. Also I did find out how the fleshballs got out of the caverns, though I still have no idea why they went straight to the traps.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2023, 03:45:17 pm »

By the way, Sigun, the dwarf that started wandering aimlessly las time I posted - she just stopped and got better. Good thing it was temporary, huh.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2023, 07:28:34 pm »

Well played! Looking forward to the next update.

Soap can be made from seed oil - either by pressing olives into oil or milling seeds at a quern/millstone then pressing then at a screw press.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2023, 03:49:03 am »

Already looked it up, it can be made from kenaf and we have a ton of it. I started production, but with the amount of steps if takes it's not the fastest process.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2023, 05:54:34 am »

It is ceaselessly funny to me that the time we try to be vegans, we make the most violent fort I've ever seen.
The world can't handle our Veganness and wants to destroy us, but we won't let them!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2023, 09:59:24 am »

18th Limestone
I'm was about to build some magma smelters, but then I remembered what my mother always used to say: "Before establishing the magma industry you should really check if there are any demons hiding under the magma".

Aaaaaaaand here they are. This will take a while longer.

25th Limestone
Our liason to the mountainhomes met up with me and we talked for a bit. It seems goblins we are supposedly at peace with attacked our hillock. Nothing surprising, really. I ordered more wood and some drink, they asked for some windows. I'll see what I can do.

28th Limestone
Bringing the goods to depot goes as usual, we are attacked by agitated giant grasshoppers, agitated falcons, agitated hornbills, agitated albatrossi, at least one more agitated giant monitor lizard, agitated giant horseshoe crabs AND agitated horseshoe crab people, but at least there aren't any elephants. Agitated or otherwise.

3rd Sandstone
I finished the sand collection area - fully enclosed and hopefully safe. That's how the fleshballs got in - it took a while for the masons to build walls, and there were no doors so they just rolled right in. I'm surprised nobody stopped them, but they don't seem capable of actually doing any harm. I poked one of them and it just rolled away. Truly nature is full wonders.

9th Sandstone
Traders carried a suspicious amount of meat and leather goods. When questioned they said it's from humans and sold exclusively to humans. I wanted to just brick them up right there, but we don't need a worse reputation. I traded a ton of prepared kenaf and some crafts for one more anvil and some random stuff, making sure to give the merchant a deal of his lifetime. Yeeees, migrants are basically guaranteed now!

They took a lot of birds (and one giant monitor lizard) off our hands. YOUR PROBLEM NOW

NO! It's fine, it's fine, they haven't heard the news yet, they don't know that it's a good place now. We have a waterfall! Please!

24th Sandstone
We all heard a great slithering in the third cavern and knew what it meant immediately - the forgotten beast Zolak Esnustukge came! It's not that notorious - some of our albatrosses have a higher kill count - but I'm still glad we're sitting behind locked doors.

1st Moonstone
Our first bar of soap! I honestly didn't expect to see soap before I die!

25th Obsidian
Last few months were really peaceful. It took us a lot of work, but at last we have almost everything set up to start pumping magma.

It's time to burn our past.

-------------------------------------------------

I will upload the file in a bit, will also post a bit of an overview on everything I built.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2023, 05:58:28 pm »

1 Granite
My year is up, and fortunately I am able to pass the fortress to the next overseer, so here it is:

The part that sticks out of the ground is covered in bones, but this time most of them aren't dwarf! This is a major achievement.

I tried to pave the floor like I would a road to save a few blocks and some time, but it looks like shit. You can't even distinguish diorite and mudstone! I suspect the thinness of pavement causes the subtle blue of diorite and the soft brown of mudstone to blend into the same colour, kind of like how a thin layer of water is clear while a square's worth is blue. More research is necessary.

Our soap complex! That's the only acceptable word for it - in two seasons it produced exactly one (1) bar of soap. I think we need either more barrels, or buckets, or both.

In anticipation of migration waves I furnished a few more rooms than needed. I also wanted to build a guildhall here, but mining for magma took a lot of time and I pretty much just forgot.

My waterfall seems to have actually improved the troglodytes' cavern! Look at all those mushrooms, our bath water does them good.

Our resident forgotten beast. We can often hear it screaming and fighting things down here - glad to see it managed to improve its kill count. It's sleeping pretty close to the sand collection area, KEEP THE DOOR LOCKED or better yet, wall it off.

And finally, the magmaworks! This is the main level, with forges and smelters, though they aren't operational yet. The stairs down lead to the pump which has to be operated manually. The lever drains magma into caverns making it somebody else's problem. The old set up which could have been dangerous (though fire imps seem to have gone somewhere, maybe I should have just ignored them) is a few levels down can be used for storage or something.

This is the level where magma is supposed to be - don't go here. The dress is leather and was left here for metaphorical purposes.

And finally, a few levels above the magmaworks - a tavern and a dormitory, in case the workers get too hungry or tired to climb the stairs. You will have to bring some food and booze here.

And hey, I'm no longer completely stressed out! Just generalllly unhappy! This is improvement!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2023, 07:12:58 pm »

The lever drains magma into caverns making it somebody else's problem.

until the 1960's this was the industrial world's go-to solution for effluent and waste. good to see the philosophy applied here. dwarves and their casual disdain for local wildlife..

no, no. we can re-package this as providing 'warmth and security' to the cavern denizens. free of charge. here, I'll get our media consultant on the line.

==
I'll pick this up. lets try to put the Green back in Greenfingers. and the animals back . .  in their cages?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2023, 12:32:45 pm »

no, no. we can re-package this as providing 'warmth and security' to the cavern denizens. free of charge. here, I'll get our media consultant on the line.

I think it's deep enough that any inhabitants would be more accurately called denizens, and also magma-proof. Any extra magma should be more of an annoyance - like rain.

I'll pick this up. lets try to put the Green back in Greenfingers. and the animals back . .  in their cages?

The only way to get this fort even greener is if everbody puked. Still, good luck. And also good luck with the animals.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2023, 08:55:10 pm »

the return

Ah. It has been a couple of years since my last entry. While I, Salmeuk Ironmines, still retain the title of Forest Guardian, I have eschewed close combat in favor of fine fabricmaking. Not sure why I felt so enthralled by weaving, but dear lord a lot of cloth was made under my watch (I am now a master weaver):

For now, a pause was put on the weaving. Furniture needed constructing, the magma shops were half-finished, and there was a serious lack of things in bins.

15 of us remain alive after years of ambushes by local wildlife. The trampled undergrowth, muddied and bloodied, is thick with corpses. What happened to this place? So much violence. most awfully, it was the animals we swore to protect that were causing it.

I have been given control of the day-to-day, but my hands are frankly tied, only one choice is clear - cleanup MUST begin immediately. returning this fortress to a sublime state would surely prevent future incursions. for we all know animals operate on purely aesthetic grounds and if, say, a horde of disturbed elephants were to stumble upon our blood pools and general decay, they might simply think to join in the fun. However. If we were to spruce up the place a bit, add a few statues here and there, try to promote good vibes - maybe, just maybe, we can pull back from this endless siege and recover dominion over the trees.

and if that fails we trap . everything . The go-ahead was given from my fellow survivors, delph and Baprr. Let the great washing begin!

====

migrants arrived, bringing us to 37 population - yet our booze-handler just informed me that the booze is almost gone. The Shock! The Terror!

edit:

cute, yet terrifying

This year flew right on by. We had the gates locked the whole time and even managed to miss the traders... I hope we don't regret snubbing them.

Our new brewery was carved from the old workshops, who had long outgrown their confined hallways. A new location will need to be found for the weaving and cloth-making endeavours. For now, it has been replaced with a centralized kitchen and still:

ignore the trash, it was eventually moved to storage.

So, too, I saw the mud-seeping walls of the upper fortress to be unappealing, and set upon constructing microcline replacements. Carried away, I eventually designed a gold and marble floored temple, dedicated to the cult of wealth and jewels.

Our nobles may need some new offices (this was inevitable, their old ones were... insufficient)

Our gold bar stocks have increased to over 300. My successor could build many things with that kind of gold.

As well, marble deposits were mapped to the shift-f2 hotkey zoom, whatever that means.

A highly functional and blazing fast year.

Finally, I think the undead sieged us at some point, but we could only hear muffled insults from inside the fortifications.

save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16522

a lot of hauling and refining of rooms. but little much else. good luck :]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:18:39 pm by Salmeuk »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6