Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103083 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #540 on: May 23, 2023, 06:28:46 am »

our own version of Bid Laden

They're wealthy foreign nobles that have a vested interest in destabilizing your region?

OK, it is not AS stupid as empowering Bin Laden...

The point I was making is that nobody "empowered" Bin Laden. He was a third side in the Soviet-Afghan War, funded almost entirely by his portion of the family fortune and supplied by arms dealers. The popular myth that US aid created him as a power to be reckoned with is just that - a myth. He never received any.

The post-Soviet civil war was caused primarily by Hezb-e Islami Gulbuddin, a group which also didn't get significant US aid during the Soviet-Afghan war. They got most of their support from Pakistan directly, not Pakistan as an intermediary. The post-war Taliban didn't directly arise from this group, but had similar ideology and cannibalized their internal and foreign support base.

The groups that did get US aid formed the Northern Alliance against the Taliban and remain US allies, even if they are now effectively insurgent groups once more.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 23, 2023, 07:54:16 am »

"Liberals" from Navalny's camp are like:

"Ukrainians, how can you demand that we fight against Putin's regime? We have no weapons and no combat experience"

*Ukrainians train and arm some guys and help them get across the border*

"What are you doing!? You are playing straight into Putin's propaganda! Stop!"
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 23, 2023, 07:54:34 am »

From my understanding this a small raiding party with no support. Do you believe they will fight or Russia need a lot to surround them?

Edit: I am not sure what their game plan but if they prolong this raid they risk having special forces drop special forces on them.
Yes, because America really whooped those Viet Cong, and Afghanistan is everyone's bitch...
apples and oranges

those look like our own version of Bid Laden, someone who will be a problem for Ukraine and the world in the future.
Speaking of according to Meduza: Russia's FSB Sent Ex-Islamic State Fighters to Infiltrate Ukraine, Turkey, U.S.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 23, 2023, 10:35:40 am »

Your bets - Will Belgorod rebels capture the base with tactical nukes (artillery shells) on it? Belgorod People's Republic may join the nuclear club.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 23, 2023, 11:20:59 am »

Your bets - Will Belgorod rebels capture the base with tactical nukes (artillery shells) on it? Belgorod People's Republic may join the nuclear club.
Probably not?

They seem smart enough to avoid hard targets like military bases with tactical nukes.

...then again, if the base's commander switches sides, it's a whole new ballgame.

I think most Americans misunderstood the significance of George Washington. He wasn't some saintly political dynamo.
He was the highest ranking member of the British Military that "turned rebel".
I think most Americans also misunderstand the significance of George Washington dying two years after his Presidency ended peacefully, and that most people are ill for a time before they die...

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 23, 2023, 01:38:28 pm »

So what is the latest on our raiding party?

Edit: btw this is the sort of sabotage I like to read about. I get the propaganda value here of Russians finally feeling the war comes to them, but undercover small teams can make a hell of more damage smoking.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:56:31 pm by jipehog »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 23, 2023, 02:16:09 pm »

So what is the latest on our raiding party?

A lot of fog of war and disinformation from both sides, both the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Freedom Legion claim that they are still there. Russians, of course,  claim that EVERYONE was killed.  Russians also presented photos of some captured American-made MRAPs but considering that those are in rather good condition and with no corpses attached, those are suspicious.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 23, 2023, 02:17:16 pm »

I think most Americans also misunderstand the significance of George Washington dying two years after his Presidency ended peacefully, and that most people are ill for a time before they die...

Are you saying Washington got assasinated or are you saying he was hiding a lethal illness during his final term?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 02:20:18 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 23, 2023, 04:36:27 pm »

Are you saying Washington got assasinated or are you saying he was hiding a lethal illness during his final term?
My suspicious is that he was hiding an illness during at least part of his final term. And back then, that could be lethal.

Assassination wouldn't fit the timeline: He was OUT for about 2 years prior to dying.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 23, 2023, 04:40:00 pm »

It is well documented that George Washington spent most of his life as a very sick man.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 23, 2023, 05:11:54 pm »

It is well documented that George Washington spent most of his life as a very sick man.
Yes, there's a famous anecdote regarding his health pertaining to the Newburgh Address in 1783, when he addressed near-mutinous officers of the Continental Army. Supposedly, the sight of his weakness and aging, which he attributed to the effort he'd spent in service of the Revolution, moved them to accept his urging to wait patiently for the Congress to get around to paying them, preventing a likely military coup.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 24, 2023, 03:12:05 am »

In a recent interview, Prigozhin claimed that Wagner lost 20K KIA in the battle for Bakhmut: 10K of core fighters and 10K of convicts. Also, he claimed 50K KIA on the Ukrainian side to make it sound like an epic victory.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 24, 2023, 03:25:26 am »

And then they get there and realize that all the nukes that were supposed to be in there are actually cardboard cut outs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 24, 2023, 05:37:34 am »

Russia announced another round of expropriation of property in Crimea. Real estate from 'enemies of Russia', like the wife of Zelensky, will be sold and the proceeds used to fund the Russian military efforts.

But who would be so dumb to purchase property that was expropriated in Crimea?
Everyone with only half a brain cell knows that when Ukraine liberates Crimea, that they will not only lose their illegally acquired property, but they will probably also be hanged, shot and decapitated in no particular order.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 24, 2023, 06:08:18 am »

It'll be like "War bonds", I suppose. Betting on the investment going good due to the war special military operation not going completely about-face.

The market will be within Russia, probably, where the hope/belief in their legitimacy will be the greatest. Or someone forced to 'do a Musk' and put previously promised moneys where their mouth is ("You do believe in our government, don't you? And you with still a spare billion or two in the banks that we haven't yet 'pursuaded' you to donate. And what would be better than some prime real-estate in a traditionally quite nice area...")

At a long-shot, maybe someone like the Chinese State could be pursuaded to lay claim, if it's handy for (future) use. But that's a dangerous game given how China is effectively "lend-leasing" its way into so many third-world territories, grabbing its B&R system back. Would they consider the opportunity of going straight to (nominal) ownership, with contingency if it turns out to be a reclaimed lemon?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 143