Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103075 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1170 on: July 27, 2023, 12:28:13 pm »

The best way to ensure stuff like that not happening - countries that wage wars of aggression should not be allowed to participate in any sport events and this stupid loophole with competing under a neutral flag should not exist either

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 27, 2023, 04:13:45 pm »

Honestly, I would also expect competitors in a tournament to obey the rules of respect, no matter how awful their opponent or their opponents nation is. You should be able to beat their ass in a competition, treat them with more dignity than they deserve because of your superiority, and then gun them down mercilessly on the battlefield.

I can absolutely understand hatred; I have a brother who has always been nothing but an abuser to me. But I've always been forced to behave, too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 04:15:35 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 27, 2023, 04:23:15 pm »

I am 99% sure that none of what's happening is this random Russian fencer's fault anyway. She may well have family in Ukraine. People do need to compartmentalize.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1173 on: July 28, 2023, 03:26:46 am »

The 32-year-old rejected Smirnova's handshake afterwards, instead offering her sabre to tap blades.
It led to an appeal from Smirnova, who staged a 45-minute sit-down protest.
"My message today is that we Ukrainian athletes are ready to face Russians on the sports field but we will never shake hands with them," Kharlan said afterwards.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has called upon sports federations to handle Ukrainian athletes and Russians competing as neutrals with "the necessary degree of sensitivity" following Kharlan's disqualification, adding: "We continue to stand in full solidarity with the Ukrainian athletes and the Olympic community of Ukraine."
Ukrainian athlete was willing to respect her Russian opponent, just not willing to shake hands. As shaking hands is a symbol of friendship and trust, and such a thing naturally is difficult when athletes are representing their nations and one has been persecuted by the other, it should have been fine for the Ukrainian and Russian fencers to tap blades in lieue of a handshake. This is especially true given that things like saluting are universal fencing custom with a long tradition, and both fencers observed the custom. Whereas handshakes are followed in some pistes and are things fencers like to do, but not every fencer will do. In some tournaments I've seen or partaken, some fencers did shake hands afterwards, whilst others just tapped blades, touched elbows or complimented the other fencer verbally on a good bout.
In fencing, shaking hands is part of the rules of the sport and refusal to do so results in a black card and expulsion.

Though in this case it was part of the rules, it should also be noted that in the picture, the Russian fencer is offering her gloved hand to shake.

I don't know if this is true in Russian fencing, but in UK fencing (and culture in general) it is considered intentionally disrespectful to offer your gloved hand to shake. It is disappointing that this important detail is being neglected in news reporting. In every single instance I shook hands with a fencer, or saw fencers shaking hands (whether they were from Hong Kong, Hungary, France, Germany or Britain), we shook with our off-hands (usually left) or took the glove off first. Assuming I am not wrong about the culture of hand-shaking in Russia being similar to UK or French, it is reasonable to posit a deliberate provocation
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 03:33:30 am by Loud Whispers »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 28, 2023, 04:57:21 am »

I think not accommodating for open warfare between countries is bs on the side of the organization. Even if they don't want to openly criticise Russia,  accommodating for this situation would be common sense.

I smell a fish
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 28, 2023, 05:27:09 am »

I am 99% sure that none of what's happening is this random Russian fencer's fault anyway. She may well have family in Ukraine. People do need to compartmentalize.

According to the story I read (and has been mentioned here) the Russian fencer spent nearly an hour protesting it. So, yeah, sounds like it is her fault some.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 28, 2023, 06:42:54 am »

Honestly, I would also expect competitors in a tournament to obey the rules of respect, no matter how awful their opponent or their opponents nation is. You should be able to beat their ass in a competition, treat them with more dignity than they deserve because of your superiority, and then gun them down mercilessly on the battlefield.

I will treat any Ukrainian athlete who will publicly shake hands with a Russian (unless this Russian is openly and actively anti-war but then they wouldn't be allowed to compete by Russian sports officials) as someone who shows immense disrespect to murdered and tortured people for what is essentially personal gain.

Especially if this Russian athlete has a brother who is currently a part of the invasion and shows support for the said brother's "just cause" on her Instagram
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 28, 2023, 06:45:24 am »

FIDE chess prohibits (or prohibited until recently, not sure) Iranian and Israeli players from playing each other to prevent shit like this, honestly this should extend to all other sports and all other major conflicts so I'm with Strongpoint here, the sport isn't hurt by simply rerolling the matchmaking or whatever, no clue how fencing works.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 28, 2023, 08:04:17 am »

Tempted to do a "Good fence(r)s make good neighbours" joke here, but clearly doesn't work well in this situation... So I'm not going to say it at all.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1179 on: July 28, 2023, 08:26:00 am »

Saw a video from Operator Starsky about that event where he is a bit more nuanced (which is not something I'm very accustomed to coming from him). Apparently, the russian athlete proposed they crossed swords instead of shaking hands, which is also accepted, which the ukrainian athlete refused aswell.

The ukrainian athlete made her choice knowing full well the ins and outs of her decision, which I respect as a political statement, and only works if she is, in fact, disqualified afterward.

Edit : Reading the comments above me, I might have misunderstood the account, gomen.

In other news, lot of gains in the south, breakthrough possible. In the east, russians forces are pushing hard also and managed to cross a river and establish a permanent foothold in UA territory.
On the map, it feels like both sides have switched to offensive so the situation might develop fast.

"It's not my fault" doesn't cut really it after Buccha, mass child kidnapping and the bombing from Odessa. At some point you need to actively distance yourself from what the government is doing in your name or be considered an accomplice to it, and that point has been crossed long ago.

Edit 2 : I don't remember her name, but a russian olympic swimmer threw her career away after the beggining of the war, throunghly denouncing not only the war, but also the government and the individual soldiers, promising to "sell [her] gold medals to get plowed by ukrainian dicks, one for one" and ended her video by saying the ukrainian salute. I believe she left russia.
Not everybody can be a hero, but maybe it's good to remember people who are. Can't find the video, will ask /pol/ later.

Edit 3 : Surovikin line breached near Robotyne. Possible collapse of the southern front to follow.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 11:10:13 pm by Cathar »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 29, 2023, 03:21:36 am »

The world fencing organisation removed the handshake requirement. The Ukrainian fencer is still disqualified for that particular match, but for the rest, her suspension is undone. She is welcome to participate at the rest of the World Championship.

Furthermore, the IOC has said that she will, even if she does not qualify, get a wildcard for participating at the next Olympic Games.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1181 on: July 29, 2023, 04:29:43 am »

The world fencing organisation removed the handshake requirement. The Ukrainian fencer is still disqualified for that particular match, but for the rest, her suspension is undone. She is welcome to participate at the rest of the World Championship.

Furthermore, the IOC has said that she will, even if she does not qualify, get a wildcard for participating at the next Olympic Games.
Common sense and protest prevails

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 29, 2023, 09:24:55 am »

Edit 3 : Surovikin line breached near Robotyne. Possible collapse of the southern front to follow.
At this point this is wishful thinking. What you call 'Surovikin line breached' is reaching the first (of three at this section of the front) line of defence. After two months of heavy fighting. In one place.
The Russians don't seem to think the situation in the south is difficult enough to warrant not using their reserves to launch an offensive of their own in the north.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 29, 2023, 12:06:52 pm »

I don't think that anything meaningful can be achieved on that part of the front by the end of good weather in mid-late September. Pushes toward Mariupol and attempt to encircle Bakhmut look more promising. Hell, I even think that crossing Dnipro in the Kherson region has more potential than taking heavily entrenched Tokmak and surrounding defense lines.

(My wet dream is offensive into Russia from Sumy, right into the soft rear of those forces pushing on the Northern front but we all know it is politically impossible)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 29, 2023, 01:56:53 pm »

(My wet dream is offensive into Russia from Sumy, right into the soft rear of those forces pushing on the Northern front but we all know it is politically impossible)

But Russian Dissidents could invade Russia, so not impossible.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 143