Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130666 times)

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3135 on: November 24, 2010, 12:26:47 pm »

Oops. My workshop pods were made one tile too small to fit four evenly spaced workshops.

This will be bothering me until the fort eventually crumbles to its end.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: November 24, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »

how much water is needed to freeze someone to death.  :P

I'm a bit rusty on freezing, but I think 2/7 full water works.  Furthermore, if you set it up right, you can leave the gobbos in there over the winter and just have your dwarves grab the important stuff come spring.  Just be sure to clean it all out before the freeze comes again.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: November 24, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »

how much water is needed to freeze someone to death.  :P

I'm a bit rusty on freezing, but I think 2/7 full water works.  Furthermore, if you set it up right, you can leave the gobbos in there over the winter and just have your dwarves grab the important stuff come spring.  Just be sure to clean it all out before the freeze comes again.

Thanks.  I was hoping for that.  But if I let it thaw I can grab their stuff too?  That's cool.  I thought freezing atom smashed stuff... Still new to the game so I wasn't sure.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:53 pm »

Some stuff disappears, other stuff stays.
Like their bones.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: November 25, 2010, 02:30:13 am »

Like their bones.

If I have a moat that freezes, and it is filled with upright spikes, will the spikes survive the winter? What about if I dig out the ice so that trolls can't just walk across it and break my drawbridge?

Thanks.

Facepalm moment......

When a magma man decided to climb my pump stack and ruin the whole thing when it was a mere 15 z levels from completion. Took almost 3 years of in fort time from when I first started to when he wrecked it. was sooooo close to done.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: November 25, 2010, 06:14:45 am »

Like their bones.

I've never seen a single item destroyed by ice.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: November 25, 2010, 07:42:55 am »

I'm still new to this game. My facepalm moments so far:

1) When I was reading about how the heck to set up my military I've come across "All civilians are drafted" and "Train all civilians in marksdwarf, and rain bolts on the enemy during sieges". I thought, It was a great idea, but it turned out quite bad. I have a problem of not having enough armor, or civilian squads getting better picks than military. Howewer, the worst (or !funniest! depending on perspective) was when a goblin siege came. 6 were trapped, 2 or so were killed by traps, 5 or so remained, and started shooting at my animals chained at the entrance. On top of that stupid civilians tried to replace cages (however I quickly learned how to assign "all civilian panic" alert to "inside" burrow, that I made earlier, so not many of them died. (basically choose alert level, on the left and burrows on the right) At this point I decided, screw this, I'm unchaining what's left of my animals, and sending 3 full squads of military against the remaining goblins. They could handle stuff like GCS, Trolls, and an FB made of steam, so they'll manage, right? To my surprise I watched them charge into the fray, and die one by one, while barely hurting the goblins. WTF? It turned out, they've used most of my crossbow bolts for training, even tough I made 30 wooden ones, some bone, and always bought bolts from caravans. In the aftermath I have like 15 or 20 dead dwarfs, and some in the hospital. One or 2 will be useless (lost ability to stand, lost ability to grasp), and 2 died in hospital from dehydration, when I was busy hauling all dropped stuff to my base. So yeah, now I at least have a clue on how to reorganize my military. Silver hammers will be my weapon of choice from now on. Or perhabs bronze picks and axes (I don't have any iron on this site, but I have tin, copper and silver).

Also, I'm rebuilding my entrance from
         ====
======oo=
T
======oo=
         ====

to
          |o  o|
           |   |
======     |
TTT          |
=========

= |   wall
T  trap
o  chained war dog
Goblins come from the left, my base is on the right.

2) My embark is in a rather cold climate, and some lakes freeze during winters. I've connected some of them, and made a 5-tile wide moat. That didn't work so well, especially after I used that moat to flood like 2k squares for farming (yeah, overkill ftw, I'm overflowing with food anyway) (at least I did it the "right" way, with 20 floodgates and all). Luckilly for me when water freezes it turns into ice, and when ice unfreezes it turns into 7/7 water, so my moat is gradually filling up. It was easilly crossed for a few seasons, but now seems to be working. Thing is, in the autumn I decided to perform a quick deforestation, and then went about building some bedrooms, and walling off the cave. 2 of my dwarves got encased in ice from crossing my moat in the wrong place at the wrong time.

3) For my third embark I couldn't buy any drinks or subterrean seeds from my home civ. Oh well, I'll just wall off the highest hilltop Machu-Pichu style, and farm prickle berries. At least I have iron ore now :>

Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: November 25, 2010, 08:22:35 am »

I just had my first siege, but I was confident. Cocky even. I had prepared for this. I was expecting this, so I got every man on station, the walls were lined with marksmen, and the gates were guarded by my militia. I pulled the levers to close the gates, and wait it out.

My gate to the south closed, but my one to the east stayed open. And open. And open.

Turns out I forgot to link the bridge and it's lever. Ah. They all died. So I closed it down using task manager, fortunatly I had saved before with JUST enough time so I repeated this but with a mechanic hastily linking them together, it works no problem then. However, a thief was sighted inside my walls. He was easily taken care of, he must have slipped in just before the south gate closed. Then a Master thief appeared, and started stabbing peasants left right and centre. He was [Eventually] killed when the goblins poured out of the wood works.

Turns out they can move diagonally. They slipped in through a hole in the wall.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3143 on: November 25, 2010, 09:59:09 am »

Like their bones.

I've never seen a single item destroyed by ice.

You are lucky. I have seen ice destroying *stones* and well as other items and even deconstruct wells (by destroying submerged bucket i guess.), making it fine alternative to atom smashing/magma burning.

It also changes 1 tile of water to 7 tiles of water. Magical, all powerfull ice.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: November 25, 2010, 10:31:27 am »

7 patients died of thirst since the end of the last siege. Even after disabling all non-healthcare related tasks on a few dwarfs, they still don't give them water.
I shouldn't complain, we get waaaaaayy too many immigrants anyway...
... wait, make it 8.
I'm just a bit worried, I wonder how many of them had friends, and my mist generator is far from ready yet because, guess what, all my workers end up dying of thirst at the hospital.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: November 25, 2010, 07:00:38 pm »

Embarked for the first time on a volcano. I have very little experience with magma/lava, so I decided it was time to experiment. For !!SCIENCE!!

So, I was digging out my factory floor, and channeled magma grooves in the floor. Apparently, I missed a ramp, and the entire level flooded in under a minute. Thanks to my dedication to the space bar, no one died and I sealed off the entrance so as not to flood the world.

*facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: November 25, 2010, 10:40:51 pm »

I built a massive stockpile for cloth and leather itemry next to my trade depot in order to clean + trade off all of the goblinite strewn about the place.  However, I'd forgotten that my countess really likes leather and has banned it from export.

100~ leather items traded later, I look through the combat log to see people getting stuck down.  Wtf! 

As things click together I look at my justice pane and see over ten dwarves scheduled for a beating.  Turns out my sheriff, who is unarmed, went around punching their faces in.  Single punch, single face cave in. 

He killed my armoursmith that I was midway through leveling, my metalsmith and my legendary glass maker, and a few other useless dwarves before I hastily set up a jail.  FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: November 26, 2010, 02:47:16 am »

I knew that in worlds with more than one adamantine vien, only one would have demon in it, so when I found the one that was demon free, I was overjoyed, but I knew that the viens sometimes open up lower than the top so I dug deeper... and deeper... until I broke through the cieling of hell just to say hi.
What do you think? Yes? No?

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: November 26, 2010, 05:56:09 am »

I knew that in worlds with more than one adamantine vien, only one would have demon in it, so when I found the one that was demon free, I was overjoyed, but I knew that the viens sometimes open up lower than the top so I dug deeper... and deeper... until I broke through the cieling of hell just to say hi.

Well looks like it wasn't clown free after all!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: November 26, 2010, 06:32:51 am »

Turns out about 3/4 of my fort worship the god of rainbows.  I facepalmed at the irony.
That's not ironic, it's just awesome.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 729