Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131013 times)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6810 on: August 06, 2012, 05:14:37 pm »

Another method is to pause, hide their equipment (b - d - h on the cages), and then dump the objects marked as hidden from the z -> stocks screen.  That way they still have their armor and last a little longer when the military practices on them.  Although, in this case you may want to remove this one's armor too...

Just make sure to unhide the cages afterwards (b - d - H).
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #6811 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:14 pm »

The way I do it is set mass dump and mass forbid on the full cages D-B-D and D-B-F.
Then go into the stocks screen. Everything that is marked both Forbid and Dump is something the imprisoned creatures are holding. Turn off Forbid from there on anything you want your dwarves to take away. Also unforbid and un-dump flag the cages. Then unpause.

I've never actually seen a dorf dump the cage leaving the critter but better safe than sorry. I have had them take a cage to be melted releasing the critter. (I have no tin on map so i melt imported tin cages that come my way)
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: August 06, 2012, 07:54:23 pm »

Half of my dwarfs are children. Half.

I'd start slaughtering immigrants if I didn't need the workforce.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: August 06, 2012, 10:25:06 pm »

Half of my dwarfs are children. Half.

I'd start slaughtering immigrants if I didn't need the workforce.

Use dwarven contraception.  AKA cover your kids in magma. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: August 06, 2012, 10:58:21 pm »

Facepalm moment: caused a tantrum spiral by forgetting to make new clothing after destroying all the tattered items. What ended the fort, though, was digging into the circus through a completely undefended hallway. Ten minutes later (at about 20 fps, mind) it was all over.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:05 pm »

Facepalm moment: caused a tantrum spiral by forgetting to make new clothing after destroying all the tattered items. What ended the fort, though, was digging into the circus through a completely undefended hallway. Ten minutes later (at about 20 fps, mind) it was all over.

I'm having a similar visit of the clowns as I type, though I did make an interesting discovery - my fire-breathing clowns can throw webs, which are not fireproof - so I have a bunch of !!web!!s around my fort. Just picturing fire-webs has made my day.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

donfuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: August 07, 2012, 03:27:35 am »

Giving my marksdorf recruits some aiming practice a kitten somehow got into the fight:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not bad. Not bad at all!

RavenZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: August 07, 2012, 06:13:47 am »

I'm mooded by some steampunk these days so i want to make all my mechanics, gears, pipes and what not of brass... After burning through all logs makeing charcoal and burning through ores i ve got lotsa brass bars. Im now in "corner" - no mature trees on map (4:4 embark square, mostly mountains only one square of woodland), no wood logs for beds for nasty 30-ish migration wave... Food and drinks also vanished, farms yelding only few plumps - no sweet pods this season (winter) And i dont know what to do now... Damn steampunk... :D

Oh btw, what and where to change so i can make brass mechanisms? I  really really want brass mechanisms... For my brass cage traps and weapon traps

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: August 07, 2012, 06:40:41 am »

Oh btw, what and where to change so i can make brass mechanisms? I  really really want brass mechanisms... For my brass cage traps and weapon traps
Well.. you can't, unless you feel like doing a bit of modding to add brass mechanisms into your game. Ordinarily only weapon-grade metals and alloys can be used for making mechanisms.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: August 07, 2012, 10:00:27 am »

in my first fort , i was still learning to play so i had no well . when the winter came the river froze , in spring all of my dwarves were dehydrated and when the river unfroze all of my dwarves were running to the river to drink , then i saw one of my dwarves (Urist McThirsty) running to the other side of the river (the region that belongs to crocodiles)
, when the urist stopped to drink water , a crocodile attacked her and she fell in the water with her baby .
while the crocodile was chewing the baby the urist died of dehydration ..... while drowning in a river . -_-
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: August 07, 2012, 10:58:23 am »

Urist McStupidPlayer: "Wait! That forgotten beast is in the cavern! I have all these gobbo prisoners! LET'S DUMP THEM IN THE CAVERN"

*dumps gobbos in cavern*

Urist McForgotten Beast "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp."

*Goblins run to edge of map and disappear, only losing 5 to fall damage from being dropped 6 Z levels.

Urist McStupidPlayer: 0_0

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Urist McStupidPlayerr: "Meh, they tried that last time, it was just 10 guys who got wasted in my cage trap"

*Looks at unit list*

*Four squads, all mounted, with four elite gobbos*

Urist McStupidPlayer: *reaction*

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: August 07, 2012, 01:44:45 pm »

Urist McFarmer is trying to put food items in a certain barrel. Urist McFisherdwarf is trying to eat out of said barrel while doing Tarn knows what.

Cue McFarmer chasing McFisherdwarf all along the riverbank while the latter slurps plump helmets and strawberries out of a keg, and the former keeps trying to stuff plump helmets and strawberries back in.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: August 07, 2012, 02:39:58 pm »

Had a vampire killing off Urists in the sleeping quarters. The third time I caught a break and a wit was found, the wife of the victim.After the standard interview scene with consoling but inquisitive policedorfs Urist McWidow tells the whole story and points towards the perp with the usual shock reveal because he's a family dorf with four kids.The justice system let her down though because the police used brutal tactics to illict a confession from Urist McPerp and he got off on a technicality but required hospitalisation for his wounds.(forgot to designate the cage as a jail and he got a beating instead)He did the world a favour and died from dehydration though so it seemed he got his........except vampires don't die from thirst :o

Turns out the wife invited him over.She needed a patsy for the murders.Her husband had found out about her and she killed him to keep him quiet then called over Urist McInnocent and drugged him before smearing blood on him and then started screaming.Would have got away with it too if the drugs had'nt turned up in his toxicology report (I read on dwarf fortress wiki that vampires will try to confuse the issue by blaming someone else).You could say the clue  8) was in the blood.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43:10 am »

Meet Besmar "Toledo" Zesugil. I've been training him for a long time, and gone through a whole lot of metal. He's a Legendary +4 Weaponsmith, with 28,424 out of 29,000 for Legendary +5. Just a tiny bit more to go and he'll finally be ready for the candy!

...really? Now?

Edit: Double facepalm time.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:51:17 am by doublestrafe »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: August 08, 2012, 02:54:30 am »

And that is how you dorf. 8)  8)  8)
Not as bad as the Nethercap war hammer of Angelbane...
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 729