Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130767 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9255 on: April 21, 2015, 09:40:43 pm »

Just be careful. For some reason dorfs have a habit to fall from a 1xn narrow bridge.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: April 24, 2015, 10:48:58 am »

Smoothing the ice would have been enough, structures don't collapse if their support melts during summer.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: April 25, 2015, 03:34:53 pm »

I had a dwarf get bit by a were bison. I put him in the hospital and blocked the entrances, at one child dwarf got stuck in it and didn't get killed when he changed oddly enough, and later starved. I went to replace one of the walls with a fortification so my archer squad could kill him, My best archers wandered inside when the fortification was built. The dwarf turned and immediately charged and killed one of my two legendary marksdwarves. The other shot him in the knee knocking the wereurist over. from there the mark dwarves opened fire on him. about halfway through the pincushioning he changed back. other dwarve saw the guards and attack them. while the archer inside finished off the weredwarf. the rest fought and killed 17 of my citizens including a legendary miner. My one high up spear dwarf was strangled and killed by a miner and a sword dwarf received a pickax to the arm but recovered.
Now my fortress is covered not only with elf and coyote blood and guts, but also dwarf ones. My fort is falling apart and my construction room is filled with miasma. this is worse then even the first were attack.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: April 25, 2015, 03:52:30 pm »

I had a dwarf get bit by a were bison. I put him in the hospital and blocked the entrances, at one child dwarf got stuck in it and didn't get killed when he changed oddly enough, and later starved. I went to replace one of the walls with a fortification so my archer squad could kill him, My best archers wandered inside when the fortification was built. The dwarf turned and immediately charged and killed one of my two legendary marksdwarves. The other shot him in the knee knocking the wereurist over. from there the mark dwarves opened fire on him. about halfway through the pincushioning he changed back. other dwarve saw the guards and attack them. while the archer inside finished off the weredwarf. the rest fought and killed 17 of my citizens including a legendary miner. My one high up spear dwarf was strangled and killed by a miner and a sword dwarf received a pickax to the arm but recovered.
Now my fortress is covered not only with elf and coyote blood and guts, but also dwarf ones. My fort is falling apart and my construction room is filled with miasma. this is worse then even the first were attack.
You can carve fortifications in constructed walls.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: April 25, 2015, 03:54:17 pm »

You can carve fortifications in constructed walls.
I can?! AHHHHHH I lost a legendary marksdwarf for nothing.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: April 25, 2015, 05:27:23 pm »

Made a two man (and many beast) military. They're both armoured heavily, covered in the ma armour. One uses an axe and a hammer, the other uses a pair of shields. Both have many trained war animals attached to them: two tigers, a lion, a few imported grizzlies, three rhinos, about ten dogs each, a giant lion, three giant tigers, an elephant, a cave dragon, two jabberers, and a roc. They fought off an invasion with few casualties, mostly in the dogs and an injured tiger, plus some bruised ears for elephants. Everything was going great. A hydra showed up which is a beast I can't war train. So, I decided to kill it. Send out my beast master military, but as they left the gate to fight the hydra, they both stopped and went to the bedrooms. Which are far away from the main section of the fort. The hydra simply crawled into the fort slowly, and started slaughtering his way through my completely unprotected workers. Well, next time, all workers will have an iron mail shirt, short sword, and a wooden shield at all times. Except for the group of ten miners. Once the hydra was done with the non-sleeping dwarves, he crawled into the caverns and got handled by a pair of blind cave ogres. My beast masters could've killed him with the roc and cave dragon alone.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: April 27, 2015, 01:17:09 pm »

I went away and forgot how water pressure works.  Digging a well:

...the room filled as fast as you can say 'splorsh'.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: April 30, 2015, 09:37:57 am »

I had a Werehorse turn up to my young fort. It proceeded to maul the fort Mason to death on the drawbridge, but then I locked the gate and retracted the bridge.

Amusingly, the rabid werehorse turned back into a human mid-fall, broke most of the bones in it's body, screamed: "Death is all around us, it is truly horrific!" and then died.

Not-so-amusingly, I then shortly afterwards had a werelizard turn up, and bite a Fishery Worker outdoors, causing "bruising".

Unfortunately, bruising is apparently sufficient for infection, for in the time it took me to go from my dining hall camera to my metal workers and back again, my fort population had gone from 64 to 18 and the banquet hall looked like the site of a jam factory explosion :(

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: April 30, 2015, 12:30:58 pm »

The squirrel ghost had to stop just outside the bridge.

Now I will have to dispatch the army...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: May 01, 2015, 12:24:36 pm »

I went a little overboard breaking through an aquifer the cave-in way -- something like a 20x20 area -- and the result was impressive...  The game paused a full eight seconds and dropped to about 1-2 FPS for the duration of the michael-bay-class dustcloud.  It was big enough to go straight OVER my protective walls and fill the common area.  It knocked out *EVERYBODY* and blew them around like leaves.

Nobody and nothing was crushed, but two dwaves were pulled into the surrounding 2-deep water channel.  One managed to swim out...  One did not, and died in 2-deep water.

A season later, we have his ghost.  A slab will not placate it while his skeleton remains there.  I suppose I could start building pumps and moving magma...  But there is a minor problem.  He was their engineer.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: May 03, 2015, 01:50:08 am »

So, when I first started the game, I really did not understand how to stairs. I basically ended up mining out a 3x3, then channeling down next to it, then having up/down stairs built in the spot. It was tedious, it was slow, and it took me about a month to figure out how it actually worked. Then, about two months after that I realized you could designate things across Z-levels. Facedeskx2combo.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: May 04, 2015, 03:09:06 pm »

I forgot that I made a staircase to the caves.

About thirty troglodytes and a half-dozen GCS's punched to death by my smiths later, I realized why none of the armor for my militia was getting made.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: May 05, 2015, 08:26:10 am »

A season later, we have his ghost.  A slab will not placate it while his skeleton remains there.  I suppose I could start building pumps and moving magma...  But there is a minor problem.  He was their engineer.

Did you build the slab somewhere, or just engrave it with the dead dwarf's name? A memorial slab sitting in a stockpile won't keep ghosts at bay.

I hadn't played this fort in a while, and on firing it up I remembered that I needed to finish my fancy reservoir (with drain through a raised aqueduct off the edge of the cavern). I spent a while building a small pumpstack up from the nearby cavern lake...before I revisited the rest of the fort and remembered that this map has a partial aquifer I could've tapped much more easily.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:00 pm »

Did you build the slab somewhere, or just engrave it with the dead dwarf's name? A memorial slab sitting in a stockpile won't keep ghosts at bay.
I built the slab.  It wasn't enough.

I managed to drown both miners and lose both picks trying to retrieve his corpse.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: May 09, 2015, 04:32:55 pm »

I built the slab.  It wasn't enough.

I managed to drown both miners and lose both picks trying to retrieve his corpse.

Assign someone other sod to be mechanic. It'll be slower but you will still be able to build stuff.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 729