Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126666 times)

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9480 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:24 am »

Just discovered that the zone menu allows one to create and modify overlapping zones and use the [ v ] key to cycle through them!
... after more than 6 years of DF. Might have been added "recently" (either in vanilla or by dfhack), but even recently is one year ago. :-[
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: November 17, 2015, 12:56:22 pm »

Just discovered that the zone menu allows one to create and modify overlapping zones and use the [ v ] key to cycle through them!
... after more than 6 years of DF. Might have been added "recently" (either in vanilla or by dfhack), but even recently is one year ago. :-[

You can also assign a zone to do more than one thing - you could tell it to be both a Pen/Pasture and a Meeting Area, for example.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: November 17, 2015, 06:17:01 pm »

You can also assign a zone to do more than one thing - you could tell it to be both a Pen/Pasture and a Meeting Area, for example.

-facepalm-

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: November 17, 2015, 06:35:16 pm »

I recently realized you can make non-square zones. Zones are fickle things.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: November 17, 2015, 07:32:14 pm »

I just learned that macros exist. After playing this game for three years, I probably now have carpal tunnel syndrome from designating hundreds of bedrooms by hand.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:56 pm »

I accidentally did it again-I linked three stock piles together and each giving to the same mason's workshop.. I tried to get a stone chair made but  the stone chosen kept getting moved so the project got canceled again and again.;
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: November 18, 2015, 04:09:21 am »

That I knew, but sometimes you want the fishing at that end, the dumping at this, and then a pasture in between (three partly overlapping rectangles). Or maybe keeping all dogs at one end but letting the cows roam more freely. There were numerous times when I had that, and when changing the lowermost I usually deleted everything and drew them anew...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: November 18, 2015, 05:07:34 am »

My new fort is not doing anything, why is progress so slow...what am I doing wrong ;;

......oh. Both my miners and my only carpenter are all on break at the same time. That'd do it.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: November 18, 2015, 06:22:27 am »

I just learned that macros exist. After playing this game for three years, I probably now have carpal tunnel syndrome from designating hundreds of bedrooms by hand.

Funnily enough, I found the macros my first hour playing the game, but they don't work on my computer for some reason.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: November 20, 2015, 03:09:02 pm »

I once accidentally set my mug production to infinite. Didnt realize until 2 hours gameplay later. However, i stored them in mimecarts for shotguns, so overall i benefitted. But my face when i realized i had 250 mugs to deal with.... Yah.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:39:12 pm by LordPorkins »
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: November 20, 2015, 04:33:02 pm »

I once accidentally set my barrel production to infinite. Didnt realize until 2 hours gameplay later. However, i stored them in mimecarts for shotguns, so overall i benefitted. But my face when i realized i had 250 mugs to deal with.... Yah.

"hey human, do you need a couple hundred stone mugs?"

"Uh, there's only three of us."

"Sure you do!"

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: November 21, 2015, 12:04:25 pm »

Except i didnt sell the mugs to them, i forcibly chucked them at them using the power of !PHYSICS!
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: November 21, 2015, 01:59:03 pm »

I want my military to be able to swim.
I don't have any rivers, but I've seen the caverns.  The caverns have water in them.  And a forgotten bug.  And I want my dwarves to not chase the thing into a lake and drown.

So I went to my barracks (one level above the aquifer), dug out some channels in it.  Nope, aquifer wasn't there.  OK, I dig a tunnel over to where the water is.  A wide tunnel.  I dig out completely under my barracks so that there's sufficent water under them, then set up a pump above to just 'flood' the barracks with water, which will find its way back down through the several channeled squares.  Dwarves will doge into or wash into the channels and climb the ramps back out.  Yay.

I have them build the pump, install doors to limit flooding, and I tell the dwarves to start the pump, watch it for a minute, then pop down to the magma level to keep close tabs on my miners as they search for any useful metals  (Nickle, but not exactly useful).

A while later I see 'so-n-so has become a dwarven child.'  Yay, my first native generation is starting to grow up.
Imedately after I see 'So'n'so cancels Seek infant: Infant inaccessible.'  Oookay so kid grows up and seek infant tasks for them fail?  Never saw that but... interesting.

Dwarf therapist shows several dwarves now are dabbling swimmers - yay, training works.

Not finding what I want in mining >:(, but I am starting start to get a feel for what the warm rock layout is, so I might be able to find my way to making magma forges soon.

'So'n'so cancels Seek infant: Infant inaccessible.'  Eh?  That wasn't a simple kid grew up thing?
I pop up the 60 layers to my training room and see a mix of water and mist.  I take a look at the room underneath.  Lots of mist, but I see four dwarven faces...  Three of them infants.  One clear over by my kitchen well.  Turns out, most of my swimming pool has a rock roof.  *facepalm*.

None drowning, the ones I inspect are happy for having seen mist in the past week, no sign of bodies or discarded gear, so this might still work as 'assertive swimming training', but I'm not going trust it.

//Torrenal

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: November 21, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »

Torrenal this is what you get for breaking the 1 and only rule of Dwarven Survival: Never do anything with water. Magma is acceptable. Water is just a no-no.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:40:01 pm by LordPorkins »
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: November 21, 2015, 04:06:18 pm »

And yet dwarves love waterfalls.

(Especially tumbling down them! I'm looking at you, former CMD, now dead due to botched hospital care. Ah, irony.)
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 729