Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126586 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10350 on: March 29, 2018, 07:07:10 pm »

I embarked on a new journey, started some miners digging, targeting some trees to cut down, set up some pastures for my animals.

My woodcutter fell one tree without incident, the 2nd tree must have fallen on him because he was unconscious with a mangled leg within 2 minutes of unpausing.

I let him die of dehydration and his battle axe was passed on.

Did you check the battle reports? Might've been some nasty you hadn't noticed, instead of the logs from the tree.

It should say something like "The woodcutter was hit with the [spinning] wood log..." if the tree was the culprit.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: March 29, 2018, 10:34:56 pm »

Did you check the battle reports? Might've been some nasty you hadn't noticed, instead of the logs from the tree.

It should say something like "The woodcutter was hit with the [spinning] wood log..." if the tree was the culprit.
Yes, after I posted this I decided to investigate:
https://imgur.com/F2gpuBS

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: March 30, 2018, 01:54:44 am »

That was one vicious log... and a whole lotta puke

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: April 02, 2018, 07:34:38 am »

I just found out that dig up ramp removes the layer above.... facepalm
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: April 03, 2018, 02:10:37 pm »

If you mean channeling, it actually removes current level and creates a ramp below.

Edit 2: Please ignore previous statement. I forgot about the "make upward ramp" designation. *facepalm*

Edit: Also, what use would be a ramp, ending in the ceilng?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:17:37 pm by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: April 03, 2018, 02:32:01 pm »

Got a mood on a weaponsmith, proceeded to forbid all the bars letting only adamantine available, and the dwarf crafted a adamantine war hammer.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: April 03, 2018, 02:37:02 pm »

Also, what use would be a ramp, ending in the ceilng?
I imagine there are situations where you'd want to have the ramp excavated so you can move past it, yet not want to immediately breach the tile above. Could be Fun in some cases.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: April 04, 2018, 09:16:27 pm »

I imagine there are situations where you'd want to have the ramp excavated so you can move past it, yet not want to immediately breach the tile above. Could be Fun in some cases.
For a minimalist path divergence scheme you should have a ramp ending in a bridge that leads your opponents down one of two routes depending on what you wanted from them.  I'm actually considering changing that for my fortresses now that I think about it.  Trap hallway under my trade depot..

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: April 05, 2018, 10:47:17 pm »

For a minimalist path divergence scheme you should have a ramp ending in a bridge that leads your opponents down one of two routes depending on what you wanted from them.  I'm actually considering changing that for my fortresses now that I think about it.  Trap hallway under my trade depot..
Once you do this could you post a screenshot, cause this seems quite useful, but I can't really wrap my head around it.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: April 06, 2018, 12:00:34 pm »

Once you do this could you post a screenshot, cause this seems quite useful, but I can't really wrap my head around it.
I have something similar, but it uses stairs.

Imagine a tunnel with a long raising bridge in it. When the bridge is up, there is a barrier across the tunnel. When the bridge is down, there is no barrier across the tunnel. But there is a barrier along the floor, where the bridge rests. This is where the stairs go. Now, when the bridge is up, there is a barrier across the tunnel and the stairs are accessible. When the bridge is down, the tunnel is unbarred and the stairs are inaccessible.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: April 06, 2018, 01:05:20 pm »

I have something similar, but it uses stairs.

Imagine a tunnel with a long raising bridge in it. When the bridge is up, there is a barrier across the tunnel. When the bridge is down, there is no barrier across the tunnel. But there is a barrier along the floor, where the bridge rests. This is where the stairs go. Now, when the bridge is up, there is a barrier across the tunnel and the stairs are accessible. When the bridge is down, the tunnel is unbarred and the stairs are inaccessible.
Oh, ok makes sense

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: April 16, 2018, 04:06:05 am »

Funny, I am just building exactly this. Ramp that connects to bridge when it is lowered and goes to my trade depot and when it is raised pathing goes through a danger room that I am in the middle of building.

Partly doing this as I had a facepalm moment when I built some cage traps between a trading merchant and the exit. Didn't know cage traps blocked trade wagons. Found out when the trader decided to go insane. I then nearly did the same thing with tethered war dogs, discovered they block caravans too. I really don't know why I thought chains wouldn't block the caravan after I just discovered cage traps do.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: April 16, 2018, 08:59:07 am »

managed to get soundsense to work on linux and even copied in mephs raws, art and inits, but didn't check if the linux LNP works. so now i can use soundsense without DF  :-[
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: April 16, 2018, 09:36:56 am »

What non-vanilla LNP stuff do you use? 
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: April 16, 2018, 10:51:41 am »

What non-vanilla LNP stuff do you use?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163211.0 that's what i used.
but i'll download the latest vanilla release and try that... it was a facepalm though, realising i put about a days worth of worries into soundsense running and then realising DF doesnt work :D
facepalm again, as i just found out how to install the required sdl packages :D
vanilla works, now i'll try LNP, then LNP+meph
hopefully next facepalm won't be due to my low linux-skill
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:51:01 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 729