Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126474 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #930 on: January 21, 2010, 05:59:42 pm »

Just had a pretty epic facepalm moment on my most recent build.
I decided to build a fortress modeled after Moria from LoTR. I decided I did not want it to take as long, so I set speed to 1 (for the first time) and watched my dwarves zipping around doing things very quickly. Unfortunately, one of the great halls I had designated to be dug out was near an underground river. The message popped up saying I had discovered an underground river, which immediately sent me into panic mode, since digging into rivers is never a good idea. This was followed by relief as I realized the hall being dug out was a level above the water, so no flooding would occur. Unfortunately, I forgot about the critters in the water. They swarmed up at the miner digging out the hall, killing him. This made him drop his clothes and items, and all the other dwarves soon ran (with speed set to 1) towards where he fell. 4 more deaths later, I am left with a very upset dwarf as well as a Monty Python black knight who lost both arms at the elbows and his right leg at the hip.
Edit: make that a loony and a black knight.
Edit 2: Wow. According to Mr. Black Knight's bios, "He sustained minor injuries recently." He really does think its just a flesh wound.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:07:31 pm by alway »

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 21, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »

Lol bad luck.Maybe the wound was just bruised at 1st than it was a major wound?
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:42 pm »

His other wounds have healed down to 2 yellow wounds left, from 2 yellow and a red. I think he may just make it. At the very least, I hope he can make it until winter when the migrants come (currently early autumn). He isn't hungry, thirsty, or upset yet. The loony died, making him unhappy. It is now late autumn. On another note, a pair of lizardmen stole my expedition's two bronze picks during the fight.

It is now late winter, no migrants to be seen. He is still alive, although still unhappy, as he has been for a whole season... I fear for his sanity. Oddly enough, he is neither hungry or thirsty after 2 seasons without food or drink.

And now its spring; 1 yellow wound left. Hopefully migrants come this month.

Late spring, 9 months after the initial injury, migrants have finally come. The black knight will survive, as will the fort. :D

Edit: early autumn... Then again, it seems he won't survive after all. He bled to death somehow after surviving over a year resting. Which means I managed to kill off all 7 starting dwarves due to one battle in the first summer without losing my fort  ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:06:08 pm by alway »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 22, 2010, 06:31:54 am »

I've currently got a fort going with 2 3 outdoor GCS.(And an unknown number still hidden, though I've seen their webs in at least 7 different underground places)

First migrant wave, 7 weavers, 3 hunters.

Not only did they all die, some of the weavers managed to run in the direction of the fort, one GCS got inside and is now in the walled off dining room, while the other is sitting on top of the trade depot outside.(That's actually not that bad, it's spring and I was waiting for the elves) So now only my original 7 survived, and have walled themselves into the farms and workshops.

And then I realised this could all have been prevented if I just turned weaving and hunting off. *Facepalm*
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 22, 2010, 10:55:39 am »

Edit: make that a loony and a black knight.
Actually, two loonies. To quote King Arthur when The Black Knight is doing his thing: "You're a loony."
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 22, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »

Decently sized fort, just finished laying out how I wanted it and was waiting for migrants. Elven traders arrived and I opened the front gate to let them in. (It had been closed because I was in a terrifying biome) Anyways, the elves almost make it to my gate and are killed by skeletal eagles. I laugh while watching this, thinking of the free goods I just got when I see one of the eagles fly into my fortress and down the ladder to where my 7 dwarves are. Chaos ensued resulting in one miner in the food supply room, he went insane and then tried to run to the entrance and got killed in the hallway. "Your settlement has crumbled to it's end."

It was a perfect geographic location too. :(
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 22, 2010, 09:04:02 pm »

It was a perfect geographic location too.*

*Except for that endangered Giant Skeletal Eagle sanctuary.

Fixed that for ya.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 22, 2010, 09:54:09 pm »

I learned that it was blocks instead of block in the raws to make blocks, so I naturaly go to replace all and it screws up my reactions. So I have to give up my fort with awesome locations of magma, ug, chasm and HFS. And I don't no how to use seeds to get the world back.(Or the modified raws killed the possibility of getting it back.)  :'(

The truly sad part is that you could have fixed the broken reaction raws without needing to regen your current world, saving you the need to abandon your progress in the perfect one.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 23, 2010, 11:07:02 am »

I had built a fortress, playing it for at least a week (it lagged a bit), and I still hadn't had any goblins visit me. (Even though I kept getting a lot of immigrants, along with quite some good trading.)

Now I had an entirely walled off outside area on top of my fortress, and a main front entrance. My hunter got ambushed and killed, so I ordered all my dwarfs to stay inside. I laughed to myself as the ambush ran through all the traps.
Then suddenly I had been ambushed, and the screen zoomed to my dining hall.

I forgot to lock the back door.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 23, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »

I had built a small moat around my fortress early in the game, and as the game progressed I filled every millimetre of land on the inside side of it, because soil layers are great for farming and stockpiles. But after a while I decided it wasn't looking pretty enough, and I decided to  channel it out into small ponds and stuff at the side of it, to make it more natural-looking. After a while I got messages about dangerous terrain, and looked after the source, and the main part of my fortress was slowly flooding due to me breaching most of the walls separating it from the river. *Facepalm*
Fortunately I had dug a giant pit for draining the river in order to recover the bodies of the dwarves lost to the longnose gars, so I managed to save it all.

Funny thing, I had settled in a serene area, but my fortress was referred to as a cursed deathtrap. Probably due to the fact that 66% of all immigrants died a terrible death for various reasons
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 23, 2010, 12:24:17 pm »

Ten seconds ago I finally realised what "Zoom Cre" is short for.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 23, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »

I want to pump some magma for a magma moat(which is going to double as power for magma buildings), so I wanted to make some iron pieces for pumps. I built the smelter and the wood furnace THEN I RELIZED I DIDN'T BRING OR BUY AN ANVIL.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 23, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »

I have discovered a new meaning of Irony: Digging out a room to store all that excess Magnetite I had lying around... only to discover that 90% of the room in question was, in fact, part of yet another Magnetite cluster.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 23, 2010, 05:51:49 pm »

I have discovered a new meaning of Irony: Digging out a room to store all that excess Magnetite I had lying around... only to discover that 90% of the room in question was, in fact, part of yet another Magnetite cluster.

This is the blessing of Armok, not a facepalm. XD

KG

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 23, 2010, 08:23:55 pm »

Whenever I decide not to bring an anvil, I get eleventy-billion tonnes of iron ore.

Whenever I do, I never get anything better than copper (sometimes bronze).

I finally broke this cycle! Hah! HAHAHAHA!

And the ore cluster is in my dining room. Yesssssssssss...now I just need to remember whether or not this map has magma...
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 729