Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 48898 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #330 on: February 26, 2010, 11:52:09 pm »

I always give each Dwarf an identical room.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:10:59 am by ToonyMan »

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2010, 12:04:05 am »

When I dig big rooms such as storage room or dining room, I always leave pillars like in a real cave.

I totally do this because it just looks cool when they're smoothed.

Plus, someday the old cave-in system will return and you'll NEED those pillars.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2010, 08:46:59 am »

I have developed a hatred for chalk.
I plan on giving the nobles a 3*3 room, engraved, the best doors I can crank out... and with an emergency lever for stupid mandates.
Why do you hate chalk so much? It's a flux material AND can contain massive loads of iron ore and lignite/bituminous coal. and 3 by 3 is way too small. It might serve for the first few nobles, but they will want better rooms. Unless you ram every piece of ☼<☼furniture☼>☼ in it.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2010, 11:46:16 am »

I play as lizardmen.
I build massive castles in deserts.
I always seizure whenever chert mountains are unavailable.
I almost never have a military.

I'm pretty average.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »

I have developed a hatred for chalk.
I plan on giving the nobles a 3*3 room, engraved, the best doors I can crank out... and with an emergency lever for stupid mandates.
Why do you hate chalk so much? It's a flux material AND can contain massive loads of iron ore and lignite/bituminous coal. and 3 by 3 is way too small. It might serve for the first few nobles, but they will want better rooms. Unless you ram every piece of ☼<☼furniture☼>☼ in it.
My entire mountain is made of it. Actually, it's not even a mountain per se, but it protudes from the ground a level. My stone stockpiles get incredibly cluttered so I designate some to Dump.

As for the nobles, maybe you're right, though I do have a legendary engraver... Maybe I should put some weapon traps on them as well.
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2010, 02:26:32 pm »

- Large Sunberry vineyards spanning as much space as I can care to wall off.
- All inclusive Multistory Inns to house immigrants, once/if they prove their worth then they are given quarters in the actual fort.
- Starting seven are given names as is anyone else I end up 'liking'
- Consequently I feel threatened if an unnamed dwarf does something at the expense of a named dwarf.
- This usually ends in the unnamed dwarf going hunting with a silver weapon.
- War Muskox, several of which are allocated to one dwarf who will be known as a "Beastmaster"
- Magma lined sparring area for new recruits who are paired up before hand, last dwarf in each pair alive receives training. Should either dwarf fail to kill the other we make things interesting and an Orc is released

wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »

At least chalk is reasonably believable as a building material.  I've got a fortress that's about a third talc, and they're eating on talc tables and drinking from talc mugs.  Crumbly.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:41 pm »

They drink from mugs? What kind of freak fortress you run anyways? Real dwarves drink ale right off the barrel.

Speaking of which, I went from a period of not having enough barrels, to suddenly having a lot of empty ones... I need better judgement on my containers. At least I have enough stuff to put on the stills to fill those barrels.

Back on topic: I (try to) give legendaries custom profession names, like Champion Bash-skull-in or Rip-your-face-off. Also, Engraver of the Apocalypse.
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 27, 2010, 07:35:13 pm »

I almost always turn out of the way played out veins or deposits into tombs, carefully smoothing and engraving the floors and then putting coffins in as dwarves die. Important dwarves get rarer metals, of course, and military dwarves are always buried in iron deposits or veins.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »

Anyone I like I give a name. Anyone who I really like or who does something insanely awesome I give a custom title. For example, my starting miner who beat off three fire imps and a pack of seven rhesuses with only a copper pick, in the first spring, without a single scratch. And if I'm in a artistic fortress, I build a 2D mural of their deeds. (Btw, his looks awesome.)

I either build very artistic fortresses or extremely efficient ones. I'm not really one to do both half-way.
I sometimes engrave mountains.
Leaders get their rooms filled with a custom stockpile only accepting skulls.
At least one completely crazy and useless thing and one statue five z-levels or higher in every successful fortress.
Any valuable ores in the middle of something are carefully mined out then replaced by walls. I can still see it, but my dwarves can't!
I replace walls and floors in any non-worker-drone dwarf with one solid rock, usually either microcline, cinnabar, or orthoclase. That way they get awesome colors and I get the ability to see important bedrooms easily.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2010, 09:07:46 pm »

I divide all the job categories into guilds, and usually pick the one with the most members to rule my fort. It's usually the Cooking Guild. They rule with an iron fist.

But once the Masons Guild blackmails with evidence that the Cooking Guild's leader is having an affair with one of the Peasants Guild members, we'll see if that'll spark a guild war! ;o

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2010, 10:24:50 pm »

One day, I will get a female human to die on the site. She will be placed in a crystal glass coffin, on the surface, with various wild animals in cages around her. I will use DC to rename her Snow White. ;D
You only need to build one, why not go for the gusto? :P

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2010, 11:06:05 pm »

The real fun comes in when, rather than having Prince Charming arrive to wake her with a kiss, she moulders to bones while my dwarves watch.

I love this game. :D

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 27, 2010, 11:44:43 pm »

I almost always have 3-wide corridors, with 3*3 rooms. It saves designating time.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2010, 12:28:21 am »

The real fun comes in when, rather than having Prince Charming arrive to wake her with a kiss, she moulders to bones while my dwarves watch.

I love this game. :D

If you want to keep her preserved, try to mod coffins to be acceptible for use in cage traps. Then corral and cut off a female human from the caravan until she goes berzerk and gets caught in the cage/coffin trap. Then build it in the meadow. She'll stay preserved without food or water for all eternity.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26