Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2473 2474 [2475] 2476 2477 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8850828 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #37110 on: September 18, 2011, 06:24:46 pm »

I guess the difference would be whether the person in question went drinking alone, as I read it, or with other people.

That there though, would be unquestionably bad. Though if people were taking cell pictures likely friends were involved is the only reason I said anything

I'm pretty sure he ditched me though :(. Or if he didn't somehow, he could've called sometime since Friday, or returned my call, or I dunno, something.

Also true. Really I was just trying to say it could of been something else and it's a good idea to ask around or directly before jumping to conclusions.

I agree about the jumping to conclusions stuff. You have no idea how much I want to believe he didn't do that, but ... I don't. With my stupid pride, yeah, I just.... That just... ouch.

We'd been emailing each other back and forth for a couple of weeks and he seemed like SUCH a stand up guy. I mean he sent me pictures of him with his dog and his niece (cause you know, with the whole gay thing, he doesn't have his own kids...) and his friends and even the charity work he does, and just all kinds of stuff. I mean he sent me like ... I dunno 30 pictures and ... how many emails, so I thought he was kinda cool (plus me being paranoid, he has no criminal record etc).

First date went great. He was nice, charming, considerate, not pushy at all, and he's an engineer (I love learning how things work and they talk about that) who is just fascinating. I told two of my girlfriends about it, because a.) I had GOOD news for once and b.) I like having someone know where I am and with who to be safe(r). They wanted to see his picture so I showed them and they thought he was cute too (also his dog is adorable). And being a total damn stereotype, we talked about that for a while. That's how they knew what he looked like and how they recognized him at the bar with his friends (some of the same ones in the pictures he sent me).... That's also how I saw a cell phone camera picture of him....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:37:07 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37111 on: September 18, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »

I spend to much time thinking of useless things rather than learning. :( I don't know if I'm just lazy or easily distracted, its probably both. Ok, no more contemplation or reading random crap, only math from now till bedtime. I shall hammer this knowledge into my brain until I gain a complete understanding of it >_<. I probably have a lot of hammering to do >:(...
My personality profile.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37112 on: September 18, 2011, 07:27:57 pm »

This is likely to haunt my dreams for quite some time.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37113 on: September 18, 2011, 07:39:40 pm »

Uf. My stomach. Maybe that greenish tinge to the meat was a bad thing.

Also, my young brother guessed his way onto the DFC Terraria server. I used my (poor) speechcraft skills to get him off, but only after a time; I seriously hope he didn't do anything bad.

Been feeling really ill past few days. Nauseous, tired, fuzzy. Been feeling really depressed too.
I've been wanting to do some reading, but every time I sit down and try to do it my head is too fuzzy, and the things going on around me distract me too much.
I've also been feeling rather sore, and lying down in bed has been uncomfortable. Which has just left me fumbling around.
I think I've caught mono, I don't know how that would be possible, I've barely touched anyone in a long time, but somehow I think I have. Maybe it's the dogs.
Have you had a lack of food lately? That's how I felt when I wasn't eating nearly enough for a period.
If you can, you might want to go to a doctor. Especially if you're having trouble functioning, which it seems you are. Mono does seem unlikely, but it could also be something else.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37114 on: September 18, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »

Also, my young brother guessed his way onto the DFC Terraria server. I used my (poor) speechcraft skills to get him off, but only after a time; I seriously hope he didn't do anything bad.
)o:
Bad things happened, ranging from Omga/Haspen's jungle spores mysteriously disappearing (and me getting framed for it, too!) to my bed also mysteriously disappearing.
They might not have been him, but just saying.
What made me sad today was up there. Me getting framed and my bed getting stolen.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37115 on: September 18, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »

)o:
Bad things happened, ranging from Omga/Haspen's jungle spores mysteriously disappearing (and me getting framed for it, too!) to my bed also mysteriously disappearing.
They might not have been him, but just saying.
What made me sad today was up there. Me getting framed and my bed getting stolen.
I honestly haven't a clue if he did that. I doubt he took a bed. Where were the spores?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37116 on: September 18, 2011, 08:50:19 pm »

Been feeling really ill past few days. Nauseous, tired, fuzzy. Been feeling really depressed too.
I've been wanting to do some reading, but every time I sit down and try to do it my head is too fuzzy, and the things going on around me distract me too much.
I've also been feeling rather sore, and lying down in bed has been uncomfortable. Which has just left me fumbling around.
I think I've caught mono, I don't know how that would be possible, I've barely touched anyone in a long time, but somehow I think I have. Maybe it's the dogs.
Have you had a lack of food lately? That's how I felt when I wasn't eating nearly enough for a period.
If you can, you might want to go to a doctor. Especially if you're having trouble functioning, which it seems you are. Mono does seem unlikely, but it could also be something else.
I have been eating 2 to 2.5 meals a day for a while (and very rarely even just one), but I've actually been eating decently just recently... Although I suppose that could actually be the problem.
Of course, if that's the case then it's rather ironic that this is keeping me from eating.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37117 on: September 18, 2011, 10:35:22 pm »

Depressed.  Feel like shit.  I feel stupid.  I'm angry that I've had so much work to do for the past three weeks that I couldn't prepare well for these pointlessly early midterms.  I'm equally angry about receiving bad grades for one-page "essay" assignments in my introductory rhetoric course, where we're apparently supposed to constrict an entire argument into one paragraph, and an entire close reading into another.  This is stupid.   Fifty pages and the thread and the justifications and all those movements are not going to fit in one paragraph.  There is no point in writing out a close reading of a little tiny passage in one paragraph.  It is just not happening.  "Boy, Hobbes hates Aristotle a lot!"  No, that is frankly... it's stupid.

I hate this feeling, that I'm unlearning everything I know.  I'm not good at writing essays anymore.  I can't see anything.  I'm not very perceptive... I just don't feel good.

I'm so tired, and I'm so lonely, and I really do have a terrible time when a bad streak comes along.  It's been three weeks of awful, thanks mostly to not being able to pick up most of my textbooks in time--one week waiting anxiously for those books, another week working desperately in order to not be so damnably behind (during which I got sick), another week trying to study for this coming week's exams and get a little tiny bit ahead, read a little, curb the sense of exhaustion.

Is it that it all seems so trivial nowadays?  Is that it?  I find myself skipping steps because I don't want to write them out; they're exhausting.  The answers are implicit.  None of this is hard.  Not really, truly hard.  The thing they call close reading is how I read pretty much all the time, anyway.  I never stop.  I underline, I annotate, I write things out, I take serious notes, I don't quit looking at a passage until I really, honestly understand it.  The metaphors and images aren't lost on me... it just doesn't seem important enough to spend all sorts of time writing it down.  Because I'm not showing that I've learned or understand anything.  I'm just telling people what any old fool could find with a flashlight.

I hate this feeling.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37118 on: September 18, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »

Busywork for the sake of demonstrating you fit the mold of thought the instructor wants you to is frustrating, but I think it gets rarer the further along you go, so there's the entirely-useless-in-the-present future to look forward to at least, if my experience is anything more than random anecdotal stuff.

That... sounded better in my head. I'll just go with the *Internet hug* option, maybe.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37119 on: September 18, 2011, 10:54:26 pm »

one-page "essay" assignments in my introductory rhetoric course, where we're apparently supposed to constrict an entire argument into one paragraph, and an entire close reading into another.  This is stupid.   Fifty pages and the thread and the justifications and all those movements are not going to fit in one paragraph.  There is no point in writing out a close reading of a little tiny passage in one paragraph.  It is just not happening.  "Boy, Hobbes hates Aristotle a lot!"  No, that is frankly... it's stupid.
I 100% agree with your opinion of one-page summaries. They can't honestly expect you to put all of your thoughts down in that much space. It's mainly annoying to me because the professor is usually just trying to cut back their workload. I don't see how even half a page extra would kill them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37120 on: September 18, 2011, 11:00:30 pm »

*snip

I sympathize with the feeling. Yesterday I was despairing myself. I dont know if I am despairing now or not.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37121 on: September 18, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »

I really think it's just to see if you read it, or at least skimmed a summary somewhere. There's no way to put anything both meaningful and complete in 1 page unless you're allowed to pull formatting shenanigans, or you happen to have a really profoundly concise thought - but such epiphanies are rare, and require the appropriate subject matter.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #37122 on: September 18, 2011, 11:05:54 pm »

I don't see how even half a page extra would kill them.
Consider the writing quality of the average college student's essay; would you want to read any more of that than absolutely necessary?

Alternatively, the short length may be one of the main points of the exercise. It's a rhetoric course, not a writing course, and as such the opinions and arguments should be as concise as can be. An argument which makes people say 'tldr' isn't a good argument, from a persuasion point of view, for obvious reasons.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37123 on: September 18, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »

I've never taken a rhetoric course, my opinions came from writing courses involving such assignments.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37124 on: September 18, 2011, 11:31:50 pm »

one-page "essay" assignments in my introductory rhetoric course, where we're apparently supposed to constrict an entire argument into one paragraph, and an entire close reading into another.  This is stupid.   Fifty pages and the thread and the justifications and all those movements are not going to fit in one paragraph.  There is no point in writing out a close reading of a little tiny passage in one paragraph.  It is just not happening.  "Boy, Hobbes hates Aristotle a lot!"  No, that is frankly... it's stupid.
I 100% agree with your opinion of one-page summaries. They can't honestly expect you to put all of your thoughts down in that much space. It's mainly annoying to me because the professor is usually just trying to cut back their workload. I don't see how even half a page extra would kill them.

This is the opposite of the problem that I usually had with essays. Usually the required length was much greater than the number of meaningful and relevant things there were to say.

As for what you're summarizing, and the problem of summarizing a 50 page argument on one page, I personally have come to believe that the reason that most books, treatises, etc (such as whatever you're summarizing, probably) are as long as they are, is simply due to padding intended to prevent people from getting the impression that they are "paying mostly for the cover"

In practical terms, if you reallyu need more space for your one page report, check the assignment to see if the professor has specifically stated that you cannot use "legal sized" sheets of paper. If there is no such restriction, then this can buy you an extra three inches to work with (assuming that your printer supports this antiquated format).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 2473 2474 [2475] 2476 2477 ... 8158