Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698716 times)

jvempire

• Bay Watcher
  • Row Row, Fight da British
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2880 on: April 14, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »

lol if they dont visit a second time they wont find this piece of software.

Stonesense got a great deal of attention and direct links from various sources.  It's definitely plausible that there are players who never opened bay12games.com in their browser.
Just because someone knows who created a free game doesn't mean they will donate to them. Even more so if you keep telling a random person to give money to a guy he doesn't know it will make it worse.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »

I mean, yeah, nag screens suck, and even a 5-second splash screen reeks of shareware.  I think all that's really necessary is putting the URL for http://bay12games.com/support.html in the readme.

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:14 am »

Looking forward to Slate!  Don't really want to try the new DF without it. Thanks for all the work.

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: April 17, 2010, 06:14:55 pm »

Alright, feedback time!

@DJDD: The thought of adding a "Donate" screen to Stonesense has of course crossed my mind. But in the end two things made us decide against it: 1) It's supposed to be our gift to you, free and open, no strings attached. 2) What would we do with the money? Our 4 main devs live in India, Australia, Norway and the US so a pizza party would require some heavy air-fair donations ;D

Woah, back up there bud. I didn't mean donate to you - You're piggybacking off of Toady's work and as much as I respect and love the work you guys have done with Stonesense, you don't really deserve to make money off of it. No, I'm talking about a 'Donate to Toady' button. Somewhere. Anywhere. Don't like nag-screens? Fine, make it a 5 second long splash-screen with some text on it. Simple. Don't like that? Fine, chuck it in About. I don't care, I just think it should be somewhere in there.
Fact is, shitloads of people download DF and this and play with it without ever hitting the forums or the website a second time. I think a donate link on this app could do wonders. And the more money Toady gets the more it'll benefit the development of DF and thusly benefits us.

Hop to it!

I hope you're joking with "you don't really deserve to make money off of it" ?
Toady's piggybacking on work from thousands of people who've put decades of work into computer hardware and software, he doesn't deserve to make money off of it.
Reductio ad absurdum.
All work is based on other things.

The Stonesense developers are very much in their rights to add a donate button for Stonesense, though at the very least a clear distinction should be made between Stonesense and Dwarf Fortress if such were done.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:17:34 pm by Kittah_Khan »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: April 17, 2010, 06:24:56 pm »

Considering any money being mentioned is by way of donation I don't fully understand why people are getting so hostile at the idea of money being given to those who provide things for our enjoyment.....

And whats this about Toady or the Stone sense guys "not deserving" money....since when do one of us determine whether or not there work for our entertainment is worthy of people freely donating?

The idea that they are piggybacking off of other peoples work and stuff is BS....does anyone else have anything like dwarf fortress out there? you make it sound like he is stealing shit....if you wanna get technical the world piggy backs off everyone...that's life
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:32:17 pm by dennislp3 »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: April 17, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »

Before this degrades into some heated debate or worse, I should point out that donations are donations and there isn't really any reason that someone can't say "Hey, if you like what I'm doing, feel free to donate!" People can freely give their money away to whoever they want to.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: April 17, 2010, 06:44:00 pm »

i don't have such an extreme position, but the idea that money is being donated to a few people that worked on stonesense bothers me a little, i think it ignores the effort some people put into making sprites, etc.
stonesense in the end is a community effort, it is fair to say that some people worked more on it than others, and if stonesense makes money, it is fair that the money is distributed to everyone that worked on it according to the work he put on it, but i don't think anybody has the authority to say who deserves what.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: April 17, 2010, 08:09:36 pm »

Alright, feedback time!

@DJDD: The thought of adding a "Donate" screen to Stonesense has of course crossed my mind. But in the end two things made us decide against it: 1) It's supposed to be our gift to you, free and open, no strings attached. 2) What would we do with the money? Our 4 main devs live in India, Australia, Norway and the US so a pizza party would require some heavy air-fair donations ;D

Woah, back up there bud. I didn't mean donate to you - You're piggybacking off of Toady's work and as much as I respect and love the work you guys have done with Stonesense, you don't really deserve to make money off of it. No, I'm talking about a 'Donate to Toady' button. Somewhere. Anywhere. Don't like nag-screens? Fine, make it a 5 second long splash-screen with some text on it. Simple. Don't like that? Fine, chuck it in About. I don't care, I just think it should be somewhere in there.
Fact is, shitloads of people download DF and this and play with it without ever hitting the forums or the website a second time. I think a donate link on this app could do wonders. And the more money Toady gets the more it'll benefit the development of DF and thusly benefits us.

Hop to it!

I hope you're joking with "you don't really deserve to make money off of it" ?
Toady's piggybacking on work from thousands of people who've put decades of work into computer hardware and software, he doesn't deserve to make money off of it.
Reductio ad absurdum.
All work is based on other things.

The Stonesense developers are very much in their rights to add a donate button for Stonesense, though at the very least a clear distinction should be made between Stonesense and Dwarf Fortress if such were done.
I fully meant what I said, and while I won't completely disregard your opinion, I feel I should have you think of this:
The simple fact is that the majority of the playerbase who try DF, and by extension Stonesense, could very easily view Stonesense as the offical front-end to DF and therefore donate with the idea that the money will go towards the betterment of DF. Thats whats wrong with Stonesense putting their own donation button up. It is, no matter what way you put it, misleading. And if you want things to go into this dark misleading territory and set the example for all the other DL tools then by all means, but in the end it'll hurt everyone when Toady gets less and less donations.

Also, shame on those who had a cry about havings a pop-up or splash screen on Stonesense start up for Toady. There are ways to fix that, such as having it only pop up every 10th load, etc.

I just thought it'd be a really nice thing to do for Toady since he really works hard on DF and applications like this actually hurt him emotionally (See the many posts he's had about it if you must). Its REALLY not a big thing to do to place a donate button somewhere...anywhere...

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: April 18, 2010, 07:08:56 am »

I fully meant what I said, and while I won't completely disregard your opinion, I feel I should have you think of this:
The simple fact is that the majority of the playerbase who try DF, and by extension Stonesense, could very easily view Stonesense as the offical front-end to DF and therefore donate with the idea that the money will go towards the betterment of DF. Thats whats wrong with Stonesense putting their own donation button up. It is, no matter what way you put it, misleading. And if you want things to go into this dark misleading territory and set the example for all the other DL tools then by all means, but in the end it'll hurt everyone when Toady gets less and less donations.

Also, shame on those who had a cry about havings a pop-up or splash screen on Stonesense start up for Toady. There are ways to fix that, such as having it only pop up every 10th load, etc.

I just thought it'd be a really nice thing to do for Toady since he really works hard on DF and applications like this actually hurt him emotionally (See the many posts he's had about it if you must). Its REALLY not a big thing to do to place a donate button somewhere...anywhere...

I understand your position, which is why I also said that if someone were to add a donate button, they should at the very least make clear the distinction between DF and Stonesense( and preferably encourage people to donate to Toady as well ), but as has been said several times, people are free to give money to whoever they want.
As it is, it's kind of hard to think that Stonesense is Dwarf Fortress, especially for the fairly smart crowd that DF attracts.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: April 18, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »

As it is, it's kind of hard to think that Stonesense is Dwarf Fortress, especially for the fairly smart crowd that DF attracts.

Ah, but that's only the forum-knowing community. There are no doubt thousands of people who don't even know about the forums, or the wiki. To be honest, these are probably also the kind of people who can't tell the difference between Facebook and a blog talking about Facebook, and hence go spastic on said blog's comments screaming "Where's my login bits!?".

Not everyone who uses computers are computer-literate. Just remember that. Such knowledge is empowering, brother!

That said, I'm all for Stonesense being able to choose for themselves to ask for donations and what-not. I don't believe that we, the external end-users, have any right at all to be able to arbitrarily say "No! It's not ethical! GTFO Toady's werk kkthx!". That's up for the developers to decide.

Look at me, all pro-choicey. Go go gadget abortion debate.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »

@SS Team: Is there a chance we'll see a 0.31-friendly release by May, or within the first few weeks of May? I'm going to be organizing a contest around then that would benefit quite a lot from a visualizer, and Stonesense is my preferred one.

Look at me, all pro-choicey. Go go gadget abortion debate.

Personally I think that pro-life is the best way to protect our military. The more armour, the better.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: April 18, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »

We need a way to have necromancy....skeleton/zombie based army sounds awesome lol

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:06 am »

ok, everybody chill!

before you guys continue arguing, keep in mind that regardless of weather or not we have a right to, we are NOT asking any kinds of donations.

as for s splash-screen asking for people to donate to toady, one, that would be very annoying, and two, you notice toady doesn't even have that in DF.

@Retro:
a good chance, yes. right now it's mainly waiting for crashbugs to be fixed before release.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: April 19, 2010, 04:29:37 am »

make sure you open the stonesensesolution.sln that's in the root directory, no NOT use the batch files for making a solution from cmake. that doesn't work yet.
I did. There is also DwarfIso I can use but I dont pay attention to it. Just .sln

I compiled stonesense from svn, trunk, latest revision

I get it to "connecting to DF"
in log there is

Stonesense launched
4096 is too large. chopping it.
2048 works.
No Dwarf Fortress executable found
Exeption:error 2: Failed to open file, at row 0 col 0
No Dwarf Fortress executable found

I have win7 64bit
trying to avoid modifications, i ran df 31.03 vanilla + quickgen + default embark, paused

any tip?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:32:20 am by Petr Ga »
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: April 19, 2010, 04:42:56 am »

hmm....

odd, very odd.

wait, is stonesense running from the directory that has the file 'memory.xml'?

shortcuts can mess things like this up sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:46:54 am by Japa »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 379