Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3271 3272 [3273] 3274 3275 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3563834 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLUSH THAT SHIT Edition
« Reply #49080 on: January 15, 2015, 05:06:10 pm »

Do you already have it installed? You shouldent need the disk once its installed...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49081 on: January 15, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »

I wanted to reinstall it. Found the case...Only disk two is in.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49082 on: January 15, 2015, 05:13:11 pm »

Watch as its sitting in an old computer of yours.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #49083 on: January 15, 2015, 06:32:55 pm »

Alternatively, piracy. You've already paid for the game (presumably), why should you have to buy it again?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49084 on: January 15, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »

My Project Manager got a rescue dog, a smaller-size one who carries pretty much every red flag in the book. He's got food aggression. He's got regular, totally unpredictable aggression. He hangs his head and trembles like he's been whipped at most other times. He pees when he gets too excited. Oh, and he's uncut, so the minute he gets remotely excited he's sporting a full on boner.

Little fucker snapped at me today when I tried to pet him, went for my wrist and got the tiniest piece of me before he let go. I've spent plenty of time with him and this is a first, for me, with him. I have sympathy for rescue dogs (apparently he was abandoned), but he's gotten nothing but love and care both from his owner and everyone that works here. He's been bringing this thing to work for months and it's still an ill-tempered, unpredictable jerk. Terrorizes the other dogs people bring in if we let him near them. They clearly don't like him. That little bastard is a time bomb waiting to go off on someone's kid. If there's one thing I hate, it's ill-disciplined dogs who try to play alpha with me. Had it been my dog, I'd have taken the bite and shown him why you don't fucking lash out at me for no goddamn reason.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:55:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49085 on: January 15, 2015, 07:11:59 pm »

Someone came into our home and stole our TV, PS3, a laptop, and a pillowcase.  And that's it.  Aside from the missing items, almost nothing was disturbed.

My wife and kids are hellishly emotional and freaking out.  Not sure why, to be honest.  S.O. forgot to lock the front door.  Natural consequence that had a chance of happening happened.  The robbers were quite frankly merciful.  The police were nice, too.

My only concern is the high possibility that a neighbor is involved.  They knew when no one was home, which is rarely the case.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #49086 on: January 15, 2015, 07:33:07 pm »

So, is the US insurance system as broken as the health care one or can I legitimately say "at least you are insured"?

edit: nvm, didn't lock the door.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49087 on: January 15, 2015, 07:36:19 pm »

That doesn't change that the neighbors/people are predatory opportunists.
  What people do when nobody is looking is scary.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49088 on: January 15, 2015, 07:52:59 pm »

So, is the US insurance system as broken as the health care one or can I legitimately say "at least you are insured"?

edit: nvm, didn't lock the door.
Really the only insurance in the US that is majorly broken is health insurance. It's also the only insurance you absolutely need, both legally and practically. Second-worst is probably car insurance, which is also ridiculously high (and incredibly discriminatory - but then I am part of the disadvantaged group there), and also mandatory if you have a car.

Other property insurance doesn't have major problems, not least because it's not (usually) legally mandated. It really isn't necessary except for very valuable things, like, say, houses or celebrities' asses.

Still, sorry SalmonGod. I've never had anything of value stolen but I can imagine the feeling of shock when you find you've been robbed.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49089 on: January 15, 2015, 07:58:23 pm »

Oh Home Owners/Property insurance is still broken and/or corrupt. Just ask the folks in Louisiana who paid for flood insurance and then the motherfuckers wouldn't honor their claims after Katrina. I've heard similar stories about earthquake insurance out West.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49090 on: January 15, 2015, 08:13:18 pm »

We live in a condo, and are renting.  Didn't have any kind of insurance.

Nothing that was stolen really effects me much.  I don't watch TV.  I'm more annoyed that my family won't calm the fuck down than I am that I won't be able to play Smash Bros for a while.  Although it does suck to lose that PS3, because it was one of the original ones that had the backwards compatibility.  Bought it when the system was first released.  Long since thrown away boxes and receipts, so no serial number to report for that one.  Almost no chance of getting that back.

I... can't think of anything that's ever caused me panic or shock.  I'm incredibly mellow.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:15:33 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49091 on: January 15, 2015, 08:21:12 pm »

Whether consciously or not, it's probably the sense of home invasion that is driving their behavior.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49092 on: January 15, 2015, 09:53:38 pm »

Whether consciously or not, it's probably the sense of home invasion that is driving their behavior.

Yeah... they're doing that "OMG I CAN'T FEEL SAFE ANYMORE IN MY OWN HOME" thing. 

*shrug*

My wife is obsessing over the thought of them coming back and hurting her.  She's not in any state to accept any explanation about how unlikely that is.  Things would have been completely different if there was any malicious intent.  Thieves who just want to grab some expensive shit don't really want confrontation or any increased likelihood of being identified...

Regardless, I'm currently researching if there's any way to track the location of a laptop.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49093 on: January 15, 2015, 10:07:30 pm »

Probably not, if you (or the vendor) didn't record the information beforehand, sadly. Barring a stars-aligning series of screwups (say, you have no password on the main user account, the thief doesn't format it before taking it for a spin, and you have some account with a service that tracks your location that signs in automatically - but then you've probably got identity theft issues and that's probably worse), I can't think of any way to find a laptop blind.

That does give me a good idea - maybe record the MAC address of the Ethernet card. Those are unique, and while spoofing is possible, it's hideously unlikely that a casual thief would both know how to and care enough. Evidently it's good enough to definitively link devices to particular users, something the NSA is fond of.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49094 on: January 15, 2015, 10:21:04 pm »

I have the MAC address.  Unfortunately, it looks like MAC addresses don't travel past the local network.  I've seen a hint that they could be sniffed out by proximity, but I haven't found out exactly how to do that yet.  If it really is a neighbor, there's the remote chance that it could still be close by enough to sniff out, if that is indeed a thing that can be done.

Also waiting on a detailed account activity report from wife's facebook account (it was her laptop stolen).  Looking into stuff that would have been running on her computer when they first open it up that would report an IP address that I can look up.

I do understand, though, that stuff is probably gone for good and what's done is done.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 3271 3272 [3273] 3274 3275 ... 3345