Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3270 3271 [3272] 3273 3274 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3564620 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLUSH THAT SHIT Edition
« Reply #49065 on: January 15, 2015, 12:00:00 pm »

My stepdad presented me with what sounded like a list of demands of things I have to do before we move. They are:
  • Get a driver's license. Not unreasonable if it wasn't a requirement to avoid homelessness and the fact it requires a vehicle that in turn requires both driving skill and money and effort to maintain, things I lack and the bus system is easy enough.
  • Get a "real" job. Apparently, my current employment appears to be "imaginary", as are all the paystubs for more than a year somehow being imagined as well.
  • Get baptized. Yes, he dropped this one on me again this morning.

He also insinuated that he would raise my rent to more than double what I pay now. Or even more than that, he dropped the number $3000/month in there.
So you're paying something in the area of $1000/month?  Yeah, give him the middle finger and laugh your way to an apartment with a sane landlord.  That's like, your share of rent for a not particularly cheap apartment in New York City.  The fact that a family member would drop a four digit number for rent is completely ridiculous.  And if you continue to live with him more crap will keep happening.  Fuck him.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #49066 on: January 15, 2015, 12:06:11 pm »

Maybe it's a typo and Akura meant $300...?
Of course, if it's $3000 then it's probably cheaper to just move out.
Still, even at $300 he could probably afford to pay a share in an apartment with people who aren't his crazy mother and stepdad. I don't know how much he makes per month, but I make about $400, and I personally would take the financial hit and any random roommates over the people Akura currently lives with.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49067 on: January 15, 2015, 12:06:52 pm »

Not a typo. Three thousand.

Unless you have a written agreement of your rent, there's not much you can do, legally.

I do know that in New York, if someone legally lives at an address and have EITHER given some form of rent OR lived there for 30 days, they are a legal tenant and there's a significant legal process(which also requires a valid reason), to remove them. No written statements are required.

@EnigmaticHat: I currently pay $300(three hundred). He initially said something about $650/month, because that's what my mother once paid for a temporary apartment for me. However, the three thousand figure also came up during the conversation.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49068 on: January 15, 2015, 12:09:27 pm »

Akura, is there any reason you don't walk out to live elsewhere? I don't know how you even tolerate sharing a house/apartment/whatever with that guy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49069 on: January 15, 2015, 12:18:40 pm »

Not a typo. Three thousand.

That is seriously nuts, $3000/month would be mortgage repayments on a cheap house round where I live.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49070 on: January 15, 2015, 12:23:25 pm »

3000 would be around two years of minimum wage here.

Anyway, if you are paying 1000 right now you can easily afford something cheaper and beyond his fucking influence. You are over 18 already right? If that's the case, as said, laugh him off while giving him the middle finger and moon walk away towards your new place as you keep flipping him off.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49071 on: January 15, 2015, 12:32:45 pm »

Akura doesn't have the work situation to guarantee a stable income. Hence why he's still there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #49072 on: January 15, 2015, 12:39:55 pm »

@EnigmaticHat: I currently pay $300(three hundred). He initially said something about $650/month, because that's what my mother
once paid for a temporary apartment for me. However, the three thousand figure also came up during the conversation.
Ok... that makes a little more sense.

Akura doesn't have the work situation to guarantee a stable income. Hence why he's still there.
Augh, that sucks.

Do you have any friends who have an apartment?  They might let you pay a smaller than normal share of rent and live on the couch or something.  It might not be *strictly* legal depending on the lease but landlords have this amazing way of not giving a shit as long as the place is in good shape and the rent comes in.

Frankly, his demands sound impossible.  Getting a license without a car is ridiculous, if you had a better job you wouldn't be living with him, and while the baptism thing is doable its so offensive that he would ask that I don't even want to talk about it.  Maybe he's bluffing or something.  Are you on good terms with any family members who could talk to him on your behalf?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49073 on: January 15, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »

From what I've seen in the past, his stepdad is mostly talking out his ass. Out of work slobs who are high all the time tend to be really bad on follow through.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49074 on: January 15, 2015, 01:30:02 pm »

@EnigmaticHat: I currently pay $300(three hundred). He initially said something about $650/month, because that's what my mother once paid for a temporary apartment for me. However, the three thousand figure also came up during the conversation.
Yeah, depending where you are $300 a month can usually get you a nice place as long as you are willing to share with another person or two. A similar thing actually happened to my dad, where my grandmother poked at him to move out [as opposed to religious stuff and whatever] and then was kinda put-off by the fact that he moved in with two of his friends for less then what he had been paying her for a house that was 2x the size with a swimming pool and everything. Having a friend or two to share the load really cuts the cost dramatically.

(If anything just the aspect of you threatening to move out my have the effect you want).

Getting a license without a car is ridiculous
Eh, having a license is really nice if only for the fact that you can drive if need be. And while the state requires you to have a licensed car to test on, pretty much all of them say it doesn't have to be your car that you test on, as long as it is insured while you are driving it. Assuming you have a friend willing to lend you their insured car for you to practice on and eventually test with it's totally possible to pick up a license and then never have to worry about it again for decades. (Or some places have services that do the whole "learn and take the tests" stuff over the course of a few days for a few hundred bucks, with car and everything else handled for you).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49075 on: January 15, 2015, 01:34:41 pm »

Threat? For his mental safety that doesn't need to be a threat but a goal.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49076 on: January 15, 2015, 01:43:42 pm »

Unless you have a written agreement of your rent, there's not much you can do, legally.

I do know that in New York, if someone legally lives at an address and have EITHER given some form of rent OR lived there for 30 days, they are a legal tenant and there's a significant legal process(which also requires a valid reason), to remove them. No written statements are required.
I would assume there would need to be a significant reason to raise rent charges, as well. Him raising your rent over you not being baptized is religious discrimination, and you can sue him for that. Your choice of job and lack of driver's license are also inadequate reasons, legally. If you need to, find a lawyer and sue his ass for discrimination.
Technically, he can yell at you as much as he wants for not doing what he wants, but as long as you're paying rent and legally allowed to live there, he can't actually act on that without breaking laws. Next time you pay rent, get him to sign a receipt, just in case you need some physical evidence that you've been paying rent.

This is all as long as you're willing to get "all business" with your dad. As much as I hated it when my parents were doing it with me, it's legally sound and leaves a lot less loopholes open.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49077 on: January 15, 2015, 02:56:23 pm »

WHY the FUCK does EVERY SODDING THING need you to register now? I can't even play Sins of a Solar empire: Rebellion without it demanding I register with them. If I say no, 'lol no game 4 U'

I recommend looking for a cracked copy of the executable file.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49078 on: January 15, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »

WHY the FUCK does EVERY SODDING THING need you to register now? I can't even play Sins of a Solar empire: Rebellion without it demanding I register with them. If I say no, 'lol no game 4 U'

I recommend looking for a cracked copy of the executable file.

This is why throwaway email accounts that you can allow to fill up with spam are useful.
This is a blank sig.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49079 on: January 15, 2015, 05:04:26 pm »

Oh, OF COURSE.

So, I couldn't find my copy of Civ IV BTS. Of course, OF COURSE, MERE HOURS AFTER I GAVE UP...

I find out it's on sale on steam.

And I can't fucking afford it. I'm about a dollar, maybe two, short. Fuck. My. Life.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 3270 3271 [3272] 3273 3274 ... 3345