Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 310982 times)

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile

Thanks for this mod, man! Slows down world gen a lot, but the pain, agony and fun makes it all worth it!
Might want to try and speed up world gen though.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile

It is rather DF part. I would welcome update to .22.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Thanks for this mod, man! Slows down world gen a lot, but the pain, agony and fun makes it all worth it!
Might want to try and speed up world gen though.

There's no easy way as far as I can see to increase the speed of world gen, because no matter what, DF still has to simulate each civilization. You could try turning down the number of civs generated in your world gen - besides, Fortress Defense works better with shorter world gens, so that less of the enemy races die out.

It is rather DF part. I would welcome update to .22.

Since Toady is about to release .23, I'm going to wait the couple of days until its release. Until then, I think the .21 version should still be compatible with .22 anyway.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, lack of iron + siege just destroyed my fort.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Worldgen bug reported on mantis: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4358

And fixed in 0.31.25!

"It didn't like that all the trouble-causing monsters of every kind in the world were dead. Apparently the civs were very thorough." - Toady the Great
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:22:50 am by Kogut »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Worldgen bug reported on mantis: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4358

And fixed in 0.31.25!

"It didn't like that all the trouble-causing monsters of every kind in the world were dead. Apparently the civs were very thorough." - Toady the Great

Excellent! As far as I can see, there is no pressing reason to edit the mod for later versions. I will be looking it over anyway.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I just had my first second third invading force while using Fortress Defense.

I'm coming back to DWarf Fortress after having not played for a year. I used to play with Dig Deeper, but that seems to have been abandoned and from looking around the forums, Fortress Defense seems to be the new "go to" mod.

My first Dig Deeper fort, six months after embark, ~20 orcs with exceptional quality steel weapons showed up and slaughtered my outnumbered dwarves. My second Dig Deeper fort I discovered that orcs were TRAP_IMMUNE. It took quite a few obliterated forts to learn how to cope with that, and when installing Fortress Defese, I pretty much expected to get killed in the same way while I learned how to cope with not just orcs, but ten new hostile civiizations.

Apparently Fortress Defense is a kinder, gentler mod than I expected. Which is probably not a bad thing, but here is the tale:

In the flatlands fortress of Girderpass, shortly after Summer of my second year I saw the dreaded siege warning:

A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!

I checked the list and saw that I was under attack by a group of 9 tigerpeople: 8 swordsmen and one hammerer.  When I first installed Fortress Defense I had briefly glanced through the monster descriptions, and I was pretty sure that tiger people were the third of the new civilizations. So having apparently skipped over the first two, I figured I was pretty much done for. But nine was a much smaller a force than I expected, so I didn't completely lose hope. I began gathering up my dwarves, only to discover that the "Dwarves Stay Indoors" setting of previous versions has apparently been removed, and resigned myself to losing several craftsmen, if I even managed to stay alive at all.

A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!

What, seriously? The first invasion force hasn't even reached my front gate, and another siege arrives? Dark stranglers, apparently. With two siege armies arriving at once, I figured I was pretty much toast. The 14 dwarves of my military were in position aboveground, behind the arrow-blocking wall inside the keep, waiting for the onslaught. A few assorted craftspeople decided now would be a good time to randomly wander around outside. Oh well. Wasn't expecting the fort to survive. A few early deaths would just speed up the process.

An ambush! Curse them!

You're kidding, right? Two sieges and now goblins show up? I didn't even bother checking the list of new arrivals and just sat looking at the carefully constructed chokepoint leading to the only entrance to my soon to be doomed fortress, as the pack of tiger peoples charged up to it...

...and then suddenly turned and ran away before even getting in range of my military.

Apparently they're not trap immune, and when the first several had assorted arms and legs sheared off by iron serrated discs, the rest lost interest. I remembered reading in the notes that the first couple new civiliations weren't TRAP_IMMUNE, so I wasn't totally surprised that the traps hurt them, but with Dig Deeper I remember orcs would sometimes spend months locked in an auto-repeating upright spike trap room, outhealing all damage. So I wasn't really expecting that little 3x3 field of weapon traps to repel the entire siege.

As for the others, they never got that far. The stranglers and the goblins decided to ignore me and fight each other, and after a few deaths they both ran away too. Leaving my military wondering if that year they spent danger-room training was really justified.

Snatcher! Protect the Children!

Umm, ok. Sorry dude, you're a little late to the party. Never saw what happened to the snatcher, but between two sieges and an ambush not a single one of my dwarves was injured, and there were surprisingly few corpses. The vast majority of the attackers ran away at first blood. Checking the combat logs I saw a lot of trap dodges and parries, so I'm not totally sure but I think the first few made it past the weapons traps to the first row of stonefall traps, but by the time they did, some of the invaders further back started dying to the weapons traps, and then the whole group decided to turn around and leave, going back over the weapons traps a second time. I think that's how the tigerhammerer died.

---

So, looking to the future, I'm much less concerned about being hopelessly slaughtered than I was. From Dig Deeper I'm used to massive sieges of armored, TRAP_IMMUNE orcs weilding high quality steel weapons. Pages and pages of invaders, so strong and well equipped and numerous that pits and drowning chambers and spike rooms and lava are the only practical way to deal with then. I' used to having 50% of my dwarves trained as multiple legendary champions in steel armor...not to repel sieges, but just in case a couple slip through the fixed defenses.

In retrospect, Dig Deeper was probably too much. The orcs came in such numbers, so soon, and so well equipped that there was basically no way to have a military deal with them. You could embark with 7 military dwarves and do nothing but train until the siege came and still die.

Fortress Defense looks like it offers a much more reasonable pace, with simple monsters at first, and gradually growing to tougher and more difficult ones.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile

I began gathering up my dwarves, only to discover that the "Dwarves Stay Indoors" setting of previous versions has apparently been removed, and resigned myself to losing several craftsmen, if I even managed to stay alive at all.
The burrows cover the function of "dwarves stay indoors". It's a little more work to set up than before, but it's a nice improvement once you figure out how they work.  :)
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After reading your tale, I'm ashamed that my last fort to die did so from a single siege of 8 tigermen.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Yeah, one of the things I took from Relentless Assault was the idea of a progression. Furthermore, since the current version of Dwarf Fortress doesn't allow modders to specify immediate attacks at zero population (minimum required is 20), the assault curve is further relaxed.

On the traps issue, I've found that whether or not invaders are TRAP_AVOID or not, the end result is the same: if the player thinks traps are exploity, he either won't use them, or he'll mod in things that are immune to them, resulting in his not using traps anyway. So, I decided that I would leave in the option to set up basic trap defenses to cripple or weaken the early sieges, or even annihilate them for resources, but made later sieges trap-immune so that this approach would not work on them and force the use of more tactics. Besides, allowing traps to work on some foes and not others sets up the possibility for multiple kinds of defense that can effectively defend a fort.

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nightwings with bows are scary.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nightwings, period. Are scary. I don't know why they're not in the dfchallenge group, because I think they can pretty much demolish the jotuns, spider fiends, and the minotaurossi given that they don't let up until you hack them in half or cut off their head.

I've set a group of them on fire, and it didn't even slow them down. It's didn't even give them any injuries! You can't drown them in magma, in fact, unless they're confined into a tunnel, they're not going to die in magma. Most of the time they seem to be able to walk through the stuff unscathed.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Actually, head-to-head with same skills and equipment (swords), Minotauros and Jotuns massacre Nightwings with no losses.

Nightwings can only beat the two above if they use spears to exploit their natural undeadness.

Therefore, Nightwings are overall easier than Minotauros and Jotuns, but have the advantage of not being easily felled by spears. Jotun can also survive magma. I guess Minotauros will in general be more vulnerable to non-battle means of death.

Although, Fiend Spiders are admittedly pretty weak compared to all three above.

Finally, the beauty of Fortress Defense is that if you find any race too powerful, you can play without it by not using the files with all civs included, and instead playing with the individual entity files for the civs except the ones you dislike.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few quick notes from playing basic mode for a few days:

Megabeasts generally get wiped out after a hundred years by elephants and war wolves.

More significantly, the white tigerman general turned up without weapons or armour, and was easily dispatched by a maceman with a mace to the stomach then a kick to the head. Is this a bug? Every other tigerman I've seen has had weapons and armour.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They've all come naked as far as I've seen.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 80